What you can eat a nursing mother: the proper nutrition for lactation
The belief that a nursing mother must follow a diet, especially a strict and long time, is wrong.There are some restrictions on harmful foods that other types of people should not eat.In the rest, a woman should eat rationally, fully and correctly, as all substances from the food enter the breast milk directly.
Important: , the mother should always monitor the child's reaction to the product it has eaten.If in doubt, it is better to eat a little and look at the child's reaction( the presence of rash, sleep disturbance, stool change).
Let's take a closer look at the most important groups of products that can and should be eaten by a nursing mother.Table of contents: Highlights of lactation nutrition What you can eat a newborn's nursing mother Meat and eggs in the ration of a nursing mother Fruits, berries, nuts in the ration of a nursing mother Can I eat a nursing mother of fish What vegetables can I eat when lactating Drinks Can I breastfeedMum to drink milk and eat dishes cooked from it Allergens that should not be eaten by a mother
The main points of catering for lactation
Basic principles of nutritionLactation implies that:
- A breastfeeding mother should not take a diet unless she has been prescribed a doctor if she has a certain pathology.
- Lactation is not a reason for starvation, on the contrary, the daily diet should be higher by 500 - 400 calories from the norm.
- Breastfeeding should not be accompanied by new experiments in terms of products that you have never before eaten.
- It is important to observe the drinking regimen and drink enough fluids.This allows to adequately adjust the lactation, but sweet drinks are better restricted.You need to drink before thirst.
- Alcohol is prohibited in any form( from house wine and beer to spirits).
- All that was included in the diet of a woman before and during pregnancy, you can use and after childbirth.
- It is advisable to limit caffeine and beverages with its content.More than 4 cups a day is not recommended to drink, if the child at the same time feels fine and his sleep is not broken.
- During breastfeeding, you must adhere to food safety, to avoid poisoning, intestinal infections and other pathologies that can adversely affect the baby's condition.
- It is recommended full and varied food, it necessarily includes meat, vegetables, dairy products, fruits, cereals.
- If the mother has individual eating habits( vegetarianism, fasting, vegan), then it is worth to consult a nutritionist.Modern medicine has the ability to minimize the risks to the child, fully enriching the diet of women with vitamins, proteins, iron and other micro- and macro elements.
- If you suspect a child's allergy to a product eaten by a mother, you must stop using it.In the case when the assumption is true, allergic phenomena will pass by itself.If not, then you should consult a doctor.
Please note: diagnoses a child in the competence to supply only a doctor, as well as prescribe treatment.Translation of the mother into bread and water will not help cure colic, nor atopic dermatitis, and every nursing mother must remember this.
What you can eat a nursing mother of a newborn
After the birth of a child, the woman should be fully fed to recover from the childbirth process.Together with this, her milk is the first food for a newly born child, which means that it must contain all the necessary nutrients.
During this period, nursing mothers can and should have products such as:
- ungreased rye-wheat bread, with bran, from wheat, whole grain, bezdozhzhevoy;
- biscuit cookies;Veal and beef( baked, boiled, stewed, but without a bone);
- ryazhenka and kefir;
- cottage cheese is low-fat( casseroles);
- yogurt without synthetic dyes;
- porridge( any), boiled on water, that is, without milk( or 1: 1);Stewed and boiled vegetables( zucchini, potatoes, cabbage color, limited - carrots and white cabbage)
- compote of dried fruits, green tea, not strong tea;
- soups without toast, on a weak meat broth( better vegetarian).
Important: in the first weeks after delivery, when lactation is just beginning, and milk comes instead of colostrum, it is important to limit the drinking regime( if milk comes very much, then the volume of the drunk liquid should be about 1 liter per day).This will prevent excessive swelling of the chest.But women with insufficient amounts of breast milk are not affected.
Foods that can not be eaten by a nursing mother in the first month after delivery:
- whole unboiled milk;
- carbonated water;
- red fish;
- any seafood;
- is oily;
- is saline;
- canned food;
- yogurts with dyes, additives;
- packaged juices;
- broth on fatty meat.
See full list »
Important: in eating a nursing mother should clearly limit both fatty and very sweet foods.This is justified by the fact that both sugar and fat fall into breast milk, which in itself is already sweet and has the optimal percentage of fat.Colic in infants occur against the background of a lack of amylase, the enzyme responsible for the breakdown of sugars( after 3 months it is already produced normally).The increase in sweetness and fat content complicates the process of sucking milk into the baby's gastrointestinal tract, provokes fermentation, gas formation and as a result - colic.We recommend reading:
Meat and eggs in the ration of the nursing mother
Ideally, only low-fat meat should be eaten.This applies to pork and beef.Also, the chicken is homemade( cooked, meatballs, steamed burgers).When cooking soup, you should first boil the meat, the water in which it was cooked to drain, pour a new one and only then add the vegetables.
Sausage products are better to exclude, because there are quite a lot of different unwanted additives that negatively affect the body, both the child and the adult.
Eggs - you can, but provided that the child does not have allergies and, of course, in a limited number.
Fruit s, berries, nuts in the ration of a nursing mother
A lactating mother can and should eat fruit, as they contain a lot of fiber.It is useful for the digestive tract, normalizes the stool.Optimal to eat those fruits that grow in their native area.
It is better not to consume exotic fruits during lactation.This is justified by the fact that the child's reaction can be unpredictable, and often such experiments result in the development of an allergic reaction.This exception applies to mango, kiwi, citrus, avocado, pomelo, etc.Another danger, hidden in the exotic cousins of our apples and pears, is the chemicals that they treat such fruits for long-term storage and from various pests and diseases( sulfur dioxide, diphenyl, fungicides).
The norm of fruit is 300 - 400 g per day.Concerning apples, there is an opinion that they can not be eaten, since they can cause diarrhea and flatulence.This is only partly true, it is not necessary to eat apples only if the child has an individual characteristic.If the mother ate apples during pregnancy and felt well, then they can be eaten after the birth.If in doubt, it is recommended to eat them without peel or baked( during the first month of lactation).
Is it possible to eat bananas to a nursing mother - this is also a matter of usually causing rumors.
Bananas really are not allowed in the maternity hospital, but after discharge they can be eaten, because they contain a lot of useful substances needed for both mom and baby.An excellent option is a cocktail of yogurt with a banana.
Watermelon and melon for the duration of breastfeeding should be excluded.This is justified by the fact that they often find high doses of chemicals.Strawberries and other berries( cherry, sweet cherry) can be eaten, but it is important to observe the measure and wash them well before use.
Walnuts are allowed, but not more than 1-2 per day.They really contribute to the production of breast milk, but rather fatty, so you should follow the measure.
Is it possible to eat a nursing mother fish
Not everyone knows that seafood can contain mercury and in a fairly high concentration, which is especially dangerous for the baby.Therefore, when lactating, it is forbidden to use tuna, all kinds of sharks, mackerel.
The nursing mother can be:
The optimum rate is 300 grams of fish per week.It is best to eat fish from local water bodies( 200 g per week).
What vegetables you can eat when lactating
Every day, eat about 400 g of vegetables in fresh, cooked or stewed.Allowed zucchini, cucumber, pumpkin, cabbage( can cause bloating in the baby), tomato.There is no need to exclude them from the diet, if the nursing mother ate before delivery and does not have allergies on them.
The opinion that cucumbers and cabbage cause colic in babies is not scientifically confirmed.In the end, everything is individual.As a rule, if the mother tolerates some vegetables well, then the child should not have any problems with their assimilation, even if it is through breast milk.They are a valuable natural source of vitamin C, folic acid, various trace elements.When choosing vegetables, it is necessary to take into account the area of their growing, the absence of nitrates.
- Beer.Alcohol is dangerous and harmful, both for mom and baby.For a nursing woman - this is taboo.
- Cocoa.Often, cocoa beans give an allergic reaction in the child.In order not to provoke this kind of problem, it is better to refuse it for the lactation period.
- Kvass.It contains yeast, which causes increased fermentation in the intestine.
- Juices.Packaged juices contain a lot of different additives( preservatives, sugar, dyes) that do not bring benefits.Freshly squeezed juice is allowed, but only carrot, pomegranate, apple.
- Compote.It can and should be drunk regularly, but with a minimal addition of sugar, and not canned, but freshly brewed from dried fruits and berries.
- Tea.From strong tea should be discarded, as it can disrupt the child's sleep and does not allow the full absorption of vitamins and minerals.
Can the nursing mother drink milk and eat the dishes cooked from it
Milk is allowed only boiled( diluted 1: 1 with water) and with fat content, not more than 2.5%.You can add it to tea, preferably - green.If there is a suspicion of an allergy to protein in milk, they refuse it, and observe the reaction of the child.
Note: if an allergy to cow's protein is confirmed, ice cream is automatically prohibited.
Fermented milk, kefir, yogurts are recommended for fermented milk products.It is important to learn how to read the composition in order to choose fresh, high-quality and useful products.Natural yogurt is suitable for no more than 5-7 days, like milk, kefir.Curd is also possible, but after heat treatment( cheese cakes, casserole).
More information about nutrition of the nursing mother and rules for lactation is explained by Dr. Komarovsky:
Allergen products that should not be eaten by the mother
- fish( some species).
Do not abuse the above products.In the future, a child may develop an allergy to them, if in an infantile age they are in abundant quantities in his body with the mother's milk.Especially it concerns chocolate.Recommended to read:
Julia Betsik, obstetrician-gynecologist