Cress-salad: benefit and harm
Due to the environmental situation, people began to monitor their food more carefully and consume as much useful and vitamin products as possible.One of them is a watercress.This plant with thin stems, whose height can reach 50 cm, and sharp spicy leaves grows in India, Africa, Central Asia and Europe.But it is unpretentious in care and therefore can grow in any pot on the windowsill.
Interesting fact: Watercress is an annual plant that is eaten exclusively in fresh young condition.Drying grass does not make sense, because it loses its useful properties and gets an unpleasant smell.
Nutritional value of 100 g:
- Caloric content: 32 kcal Protein
- 2.6 c
- Fat: 0.7 g
- Carbohydrates: 4.4 c
View all list »
- Dietary fiber: 1,1 gr
- Ash: 1,8 gr
- Water: 89.4 gr
- Mono and disaccharides: 4.4 g
- Saturated fatty acids: 0,023 gr
- beta-carotene 4.15 mg
- Vitamin A( RE) 346 mcg
- Vitamin B1( thiamine): 0.08 mg
- Withamyn B2( riboflavin) 0.26 mg
- Vitamin B3( pantothenic): 0.242 mg
- Vitamin B6( pyridoxine): 0.247 mg
- Vitamin B9( folic): 80. mu.g
- Vitamin C: 69 mg Vitamin
- E( TE): 0.7 mg
- Vitamin K( phylloquinone): 541.9
- mcg Vitamin PP( niacin equivalent) 1 mg Choline
- : 19.5 mg
- calcium 81 mg Magnesium
- 38 mg Sodium 14 mg Potassium
- : 606
- mg Phosphorus 76 mg
- Iron: 1.3 mg
- Zinc 0.23 mg
- Copper 170 mcg
- Manganese: 0.553 mg
- Selenium 0.9 mcg
Useful properties watercress very valuable, as explained by the composition of this herb.It is very rich in vitamins A, E, C, PP, D, V. Minerals are also not deprived.Its structure includes: iron, magnesium, iodine, calcium, phosphorus, copper and many others.In addition to these substances, watercress has also useful glycosides, flavonoids, alkaloids and essential oils.
Culinary experts believe that the watercress, thanks to its excellent taste, can transform any dish into a masterpiece.Use it when preparing cold soups, a variety of salads, as a side dish or seasoning for meat, fish dishes, potatoes or fried eggs.
Useful properties of watercress
With such a rich chemical composition, watercress is a unique well for strengthening human health.
- An important beneficial effect is the ability to reduce the risk of developing cancer and prevent damage to DNA from white blood cells.
- Cress-salad has a low calorie content and has the property to reduce the calorie content of other dishes, increase the content of fiber and vitamins in them.Therefore, it is recommended to apply it to those who seek to achieve external perfection and lose weight.
- The great benefit of watercress is the ability to improve digestive processes and remove toxins from the body.
- Grass improves brain function, promotes quick and accurate thinking.
- Cress-salad has a tonic effect on the human body as a whole.
- Also the product is an aphrodisiac and perfectly stimulates the reproductive system.
- Unique properties of the salad are also in the ability to slow down the aging processes of the body and stop the processes of degeneration.
- With regular use, it improves eyesight and prevents the development of cataracts - thanks to the lutein included in its composition.
- It is recommended for eating hyperthyroidism because this plant replenishes the amount of iodine in the body.
- Stimulates the work of the liver and the production of red blood cells.
- Salad is often used to prevent periodontal disease, periodontitis and other gum diseases.
The use of watercress was noticed and cosmetologists.Often one of the main components of many cosmetic products is an extract of young shoots of watercress.They act on skin cells as antioxidants.Also, cress salad has the properties of a good antidepressant.
Interesting fact: In Iran and Morocco, the seeds of cress have long been used to make an exciting drink.And Italians with their famous temperament are considered the best meal on the eve of a love of pasta with watercress and seafood.
And the beauties of ancient Egypt made money with a watercress for wiping.It was believed that the grass helps to keep the skin youth and beauty.
Especially useful watercress will be people with the following problems:
- increased pressure;
- disorders in the genitourinary system;
- decreased hemoglobin level in the blood;
- lung disease;
- joint disease;
- skin problems;
- Thyroid dysfunction.
Interesting fact: The ability of a watercress to clean blood was already known to the great Aesculapius Hippocrates, who recommended the use of the plant to his patients for this purpose.
Harm to watercress
Unfortunately, the properties of this miracle plant can cause significant harm to some people.People prone to allergies, you should start eating salad gently and in small amounts, as it can provoke the appearance of rash, skin irritation and other reactions.
Do not consume salad in a very large amount( no more than 85 g per day), as it can provoke insomnia or headache.You can not use in the preparation of food wild cress, which grows along the railways and near the accumulation of debris, since the grass has the property of absorbing toxins into itself.
Important! Given these features, it becomes clear that it is undesirable for young children and pregnant women to include this plant in the diet.
In addition to these prohibitions, there are also contraindications that concern people with the following problems:
- low pressure;
- frequent urination;
- bronchial asthma.
The benefits and harm of watercress have long been appreciated by doctors and are used to improve the well-being and strengthen the body.Before consuming the herb as a medicine, you should consult your doctor.In the same culinary purposes, plants are used, carefully considering its benefits and harm in equal degrees.