Mustard: benefit and harm
Many of us like to add spicy dishes, adding mustard to them.However, do not think about what this plant is.For sure, the majority will be surprised by the fact that according to the biological classification it refers to cabbage!What are the useful seeds of mustard, besides the fact that they give the original flavor to different salads, fish, meat?How often and much can you use it?All this and much more you will learn from this article.
Interesting! There are 3 main types of mustard that are usable: white, black, sarept.Each has its own original taste, and some cooks use this, mixing them to give a new shade to their dishes.
Nutritional information per 100 g:
- Calories: 417.5 kcal
- Proteins: 5 g
- Fat: 40 g
- Carbohydrates: 10 g
- Water: 43 g
- Ash: 2 gr
The spicy and pungent taste of mustard seeds is not all her dignity. They are a valuable source of nutrients such as:
- Vitamins - A, D, B, C, PP, E, K, plus Kholin;
- Minerals - phosphorus, magnesium, potassium, calcium, zinc, iron, sodium, selenium, copper, manganese;
- Amino acids - arginine, threonine, leucine, lysine, valide, histidine;
- Polyunsaturated fats - linoleic acid and omega-6;
- Other substances - sucrose, glucose, carbohydrates, proteins, dietary fiber.
Interesting! Mustard must be grown only in a warm and even hot climate.In the northern regions, it does not take root.
Useful properties of mustard
In folk medicine, mustard seeds have been used for more than 3000 years. This is not accidental, because its usefulness when properly applied is manifested as follows:
- Acceleration of recovery in any infectious diseases, as this plant has antiseptic, antibacterial, anti-inflammatory properties.
- Improve the appetite and performance of the digestive system as a whole.
- Metabolic Acceleration.
- Reducing blood pressure and arresting migraine attacks.
By the way, mustard is considered an excellent honey, so it is often grown in breeding areas of bees.
Mustard seeds also help in diseases such as:
- Vascular sclerosis;
- of gallbladder and liver disease;
- catarrhal diseases;
Mustard seeds are officially used in medicine, for example, in the form of mustard plasters, which help to improve a patient's condition with cold cough diseases.
Harm to mustard seeds
When using a small amount of seeds in the form of oil, powder, and leaves of this plant, no harm will arise .But a high concentration or prolonged exposure can lead to such unfavorable consequences:
- irritation of the gastric mucosa;
- bleeding in the stomach;
- skin allergy.
Important: during pregnancy, mustard can be consumed, but only in small quantities as a seasoning for food.Do any bath with mustard - for the feet and the whole body, is strictly prohibited.
Mustard consumption is not recommended in the following cases:
- problems with gastrointestinal tract - gastritis, ulcers, etc.;
- kidney disease;
- tuberculosis in acute form;
- individual intolerance;
- increased gastric acidity;
- varicose veins.
Important: can not inject mustard seeds in the diet of children under 3 years old - it can cause severe irritation of the tissues of the digestive tract and even their burn.
There are many recipes for the use of mustard seeds, which are known to almost everyone. Here are some of those that are very effective, but not all are familiar:
- If you suffer from seizures, then regular rubbing in places of frequent localization of pain of mustard oil will help get rid of them.
- To improve blood circulation throughout the body, take mustard baths.To do this, dissolve 200 g of powder in 1 liter of water, add this mixture to a bath of water.The water temperature should not exceed 36 degrees, and the duration of the procedure is 5-6 minutes.
- To whiten the skin and get rid of freckles, apply a mask of mustard, honey( they are taken in equal quantities) and decoction of white lily.
- Quickly remove the headache, too, will help the mustard if 3 tablespoons of seeds are crushed and mixed with water.The resulting gruel is applied to a clean cloth and applied to the base of the head for 3-5 minutes.
Bring a sensation of sharpness and strangeness to your life together with mustard, but be sensible, use it in limited quantities!