How to protect yourself from swine flu H1N1
The most effective measure for the prevention of swine flu is, of course, vaccination.However, the vaccination, when the infection has already begun its rapid spread among the population, is too late.The body simply does not have time to work out a sufficient number of protective antibodies before contact with a dangerous virus.How then can you protect yourself and your loved ones from swine flu?Table of contents: Basic rules for the prevention of swine flu How to avoid contact with the swine flu virus?Strengthening the body's stability
Basic rules for the prevention of swine flu
Swine influenza in terms of epidemiology is nothing special among other ARIs.It is an ordinary infection that is transmitted by airborne droplets and affects the respiratory system.Consequently, preventive measures for swine flu do not differ much from those in other types of influenza or ARI.That is, one should not drink for preventive purposes some expensive, but in fact ineffective drugs to strengthen immunity, do not panic "special" folk methods of protection against swine flu or initiate antiviral treatment "just in case".It is necessary to reasonably assess the situation and recall the generally accepted rules for the prevention of airborne viral infections.As is known, the prevention of any contagious respiratory disease involves two main areas: preventing infection( that is, contact with the pathogen) and increasing the body's resistance.So let's look at how you can protect yourself from swine flu by following these directions.
How to avoid contact with the swine flu virus?
The source of the influenza virus is a sick person .He, during coughing, sneezing and even an active conversation, releases into the air a whole cloud of droplets of mucus, on the surface of which are the pathogens of infection.In addition, during each touch to his nose or mouth, the patient contaminates hands with viruses, so all the objects that he then touches are potentially dangerous. The most risky items include money bills, door handles, handrails in vehicles, writing utensils in public places, mobile phones. Therefore, in order to reduce the likelihood of encountering the swine flu virus, the following rules must be observed:
- If possible, do not visit crowded places.Go to the circus, the cinema and other similar institutions better to move to a safer time.Also it is not desirable to peak the incidence without special need to visit polyclinics and hospitals, to travel in public transport.It is also necessary to reduce the number of trips to supermarkets, it is better not to drive children there.
- Ventilate rooms more often and do a wet cleaning at home and at work.
- Do not go close to an obviously sick person.If the patient at home, or he, or loved ones should wear a mask during communication.
- It is more common than usual to wash your hands.Outside the house use wet napkins or special antiseptic sprays, which are sold in each pharmacy.
- Do not touch your nose, mouth and eyes with your hands, especially outside.
- For a while, forget about handshakes.
All these rules apply to healthy people, but potential sources of infection should also adhere to a certain pattern of behavior that will protect against contamination of loved ones, colleagues and, in general, everyone around them. Therefore, patients with the flu are strongly recommended by the doctors:
- Sitting at home.Do not drive sick children into kindergartens and schools.One coughing baby can infect the whole group
- When contacting people, always wear a mask.It is the patient who must wear a mask, not a healthy one.This hygiene is necessary in order to stop droplets of mucus leaving the patient's respiratory tract and prevent them from getting into the air.Therefore, the situation is extremely wrong when, for example, in a polyclinic, most healthy people sit in line in masks, and one coughing and sneezing person is without it.
- Always carry disposable handkerchiefs( napkins) to cover your mouth during coughing and sneezing.If there is no scarf, cough into the elbow, and not into the palm of your hand.
- Immediately discard used tissues.
- Washing your hands often.
Increased body resistance
It is clear that it is not always easy to follow all the recommendations described.Therefore, the risk that the swine flu virus will still enter the body remains high enough.But even here a sensible person can influence the situation, taking care of his immunity in a timely manner. Consider the simplest and most effective ways to strengthen the defenses of the body.
- Humidification of the mucous membranes of the respiratory tract . This item is the first for nothing.With airborne infections, the state of local immunity of the respiratory tract is crucial in the development of diseases.And the secretory immunoglobulins, which are the first to attack viruses and bacteria in the nasal passages, are released in sufficient quantities only if there is slime on the surface of the mucous membrane.Therefore, stock up with saline solution( you can buy it in a pharmacy or prepare yourself from 1 teaspoon of sea or ordinary table salt and a liter of boiled water) and spray it in the nasal passages, rinse your mouth and throat as many times as necessary.It is especially necessary to carry out this procedure in the morning before leaving the house, where, as a rule, the air is dry, in public places with a lot of people and an evening before bedtime.In addition, in order to create the most comfortable conditions for the respiratory tract in your apartment, you should purchase a humidifier and, if possible, screw the heating so that the temperature in the bedrooms does not exceed 20 degrees.
- Full balanced nutrition.For children up to six months, the main diet should be breast milk, older children and adults, doctors recommend daily use of foods from five groups( meat, vegetables, fruits, cereals, dairy products) and several times a week fish.In addition, during the epidemic of influenza should definitely expand your diet at the expense of foods and beverages that contain vitamin C, for example, drink broth of wild rose, eat sauerkraut, citrus.
- Sleep . To be healthy, you need to get enough sleep.A few sleepless nights, and at the first contact with the virus swine flu is guaranteed.
- Walking in the open air . All entertaining events in enclosed spaces are best replaced by outdoor entertainment - tobogganing, skiing, skating, walks in the park and forest.In addition, traveling by public transport, if weather and distance permits, it is also desirable to change for walking.Clothing for the weather . The state of the body's defenses is adversely affected by both hypothermia and overheating.
Compliance with all the rules described in the article is more or less able to prevent infection with swine flu or other types of influenza and ARI.If the disease still "attacked", it is necessary to stay at home and be sure to call a doctor, since the main reason for the development of most dangerous complications of swine flu is this untimely appeal for medical help and self-treatment.
Zubkova Olga Sergeevna, medical reviewer, epidemiologist-doctor