Nausea as a symptom: possible causes and treatment
Jun 16, 2018
Nausea is a sign of many pathologies of completely different genesis.It is an unpleasant feeling of discomfort in the epigastrium - the upper abdomen, which can also spread to the esophagus and mouth.The nature of this symptom is multifactorial.Nausea appears as a result of irritation of nerves( celiac and wandering), which transmit signals to the vomiting center located in the brain.Very often, in parallel with nausea, patients complain of excessive salivation, that is, salivation, tachycardia, weakness in the body, skin pallor, hypotension, cold extremities.Table of Contents: Nausea: the main causes of Disease, which may indicate weakness and nausea
Nausea: the main causes of
Answers to the question "Why can vomit?" Can be very much.Nausea is caused by various factors and diseases.If she worries very often or permanently( several days in a row), accompanied by additional symptoms, disturbs the quality of life, then you should definitely visit a doctor. The causes of nausea can be:
- Cholecystitis.The inflammatory process in the gallbladder or the stones formed in this organ often cause the appearance of nausea, which begins when eating.Expansion from the inside is also accompanied by heartburn, bitterness or taste of metal in the mouth, flatulence, pain in the right hypochondrium.
- Some medications.Among the side effects of many drugs is nausea.Usually it is iron preparations, antiviral, anthelmintic, antibiotics, anti-inflammatory.
- Poisoning.This is the most banal, but the most common reason.Stale, with expired shelf life, improperly stored products - one of the etiological factors of nausea.
- Gastritis.Inflammation of the gastric mucosa always provokes nausea, especially after eating.It is accompanied by a weight in the epigastrium, a feeling of bursting.To eliminate it is recommended to adhere to a diet and treat gastritis.
- Migraine.Chronic headache can be accompanied by nausea and dizziness.
- Pyelonephritis.Inflammation of the kidneys provokes nausea, which goes into vomiting.An important differentiating symptom is low back pain, painful urination.
- Hypertension.Constant hypertension is very often accompanied by nausea in the morning, as well as dizziness, swelling, flushing of the face.
- Brain Injury.Concussion, bruising of the brain can cause discomfort in the abdomen, which has a neurological cause.
- Appendicitis.With it, nausea passes into vomiting, pain in the abdomen localized at the beginning of the upper abdomen, and then in the lower right, and all this is accompanied by subfibrility.Heart attack. Heart failure. .In this case, nausea becomes vomiting, which does not alleviate it, pain in the abdomen joins, hiccups, blanching of the skin and a feeling of suffocation are possible.
- Meningitis.This nausea is of a neurological nature, together with it there is also a high fever, a fear of light and a feeling of pressure in the nape.
- Parasitic infestations.Certain types of worms cause a feeling of nausea, which may or may not be related to eating.Sleight in transport.
- .A weak vestibular apparatus often makes itself felt nausea, which goes into vomiting while riding in transport.
- Intestinal infection.With her nausea accompanied by vomiting, there is pain in the abdomen, the temperature rises, growing weakness.It is important not to hesitate and begin treatment immediately, which will help to avoid dehydration as a result of the appearance of diarrhea, so typical for intestinal infections.
- Hunger.He is also capable of provoking nausea.
- Sweets.Unpleasant sensations in the epigastrium can appear after eating an empty stomach piece of cake or cake.
- Stress.Strong excitement and emotional overexcitation often turn into nausea, which is caused by an increase in the level of adrenaline in the blood.
- Pancreatitis.Pancreas is very sensitive to poor-quality food, alcohol, fatty dishes.Her inflammation also causes nausea, pain in the left side, a strong bloating.
- Hypothyroidism.The lack of thyroid hormones can be manifested by constant nausea, but not very pronounced, as well as drowsiness, decreased appetite.
- Neoplasm in the digestive tract.And it can be tumors of both benign and malignant nature.
- Pregnancy.In the first trimester - up to 12 weeks, nausea - the main symptom of toxicosis, manifested immediately after awakening.
Nausea accompanied by other symptoms
An unpleasant, often painful feeling of nausea in different conditions and pathologies is accompanied by some other symptoms.Conjugation of several symptoms allows the doctor to distinguish one disease from dozens of others with a similar clinical picture.
Diseases accompanied by dizziness and nausea
These two symptoms can appear with a huge number of diseases, so it's worth highlighting the most significant. The cause of nausea, dizziness( weakness) is often :
- pathology of the muscles of the eye;
- osteochondrosis of the cervical spine;
- head trauma;
- is a vestibular neuritis;
- spine injury;
- Inflammation of the middle ear - labyrinthitis;
- taking certain medications;
- fistula( perilymphatic);
- brain tumor;
- of the SSS;
- menopause in women;
- Minier's disease;
- alcohol poisoning;
- senile age;
Important : To determine the true root cause of nausea and dizziness, you need to undergo a comprehensive diagnosis.
Diseases that may indicate weakness and nausea
If a nausea is accompanied by weakness in the body and a general malaise, this may indicate such diseases:
- brain tumor;
- advanced age;
- increased pressure( dizziness in this case is of a paroxysmal nature);
- stroke is a dangerous condition, when two symptoms are also added to the disturbance of movement and speech;In this case, the call of ambulance and the provision of urgent measures in the first hours of the disease - vital measures;
- vegetative-vascular dystonia;
- hyperglycemia - with it also patients complain of darkening in the eyes, they lose consciousness;
- migraine attack;
- Neurology - if nausea and dizziness disappear when the body position changes, then their cause is neurological;
- acute poisoning;
Note: if dizziness accompanied by nausea is prolonged or painful, then you should consult a doctor immediately.
Causes of nausea in the mornings
The appearance of a feeling of discomfort in the stomach area since morning is typical for such conditions :
- Hypertension.Nausea in the morning with her can be constant, but in parallel there is also dizziness, puffiness, fatigue without cause, redness of the face.
- First trimester of pregnancy.To eliminate it you need to eat something after waking up, without getting up of the bed( apple, cookies).
Causes of nausea after eating
After eating, nausea may develop in the following cases:
- stomach ulcer;
- heart disease;
- fatty food
- kidney failure;
- panic, anxiety;
- helminthic invasion;Low-quality food
From the list it is noticeable that almost all causes of nausea after eating are problems with the digestive tract.In parallel, patients also often complain of colic, flatulence, pain in the right or left hypochondrium.Note: exists such a thing as "psychogenic nausea" - it is reflex nausea resulting from visual or olfactory unpleasant sensations.It is typical for people with neuroses.
What causes nausea and temperature
These two criteria often accompany infectious diseases of the gastrointestinal tract and respiratory organs. Nausea and vomiting can be observed in such pathologies:
- acute gastritis as a result of poisoning with medicines, alkalis, food, acids;
- sore throat;
- gastric flu;
- scarlet fever;
- of the small intestine dyskinesia;
- erosive processes on the mucous membrane of the stomach and esophagus;
- surgical interventions.
Nausea and diarrhea
These signs are a typical clinic of disorders in the functioning of the gastrointestinal tract.In particular, together they accompany such conditions:
- viral infection;
- bacterial infection;
- use of unwashed vegetables and fruits;
- is a side effect of medications;
- wrong diet.
Important : diarrhea is a symptom that must be dealt with.It can lead to dehydration of the body, which equally affects negatively both adults and children.The optimum drinking regime should be observed.
Nausea in a child
In childhood, nausea can be caused by a number of reasons that are associated not only with digestive problems. Special attention should be paid to:
- Increased intracranial pressure.With its presence, the child also has a headache.
- Overeating.Excessive absorption of food causes nausea and a feeling of raspiraniya in the stomach.
- Weak vestibular apparatus.Children often vomit in transport, so do not give them to drink and eat before the trip, it is better to put the child in the front seat.
- Dehydration.Often a nausea attack occurs in children after they run in and sweat.You just give the child a drink of ordinary water, and it will become easier.
- Stress.Children often experience nausea in agitation, stress, nervous tension.To get rid of it is just to calm the child, perform breathing exercises.Allergies( food, medicine).
- .Nausea may occur with intolerance to a particular product or drug.To find out what exactly the child has allergies, you should visit an allergist.
Treating nauseaRecommended to read:
Given that this symptom has different causes, the treatment of nausea is the treatment of the underlying cause that provoked it.Self-medication in this case can cause complications, so you should consult a doctor. Elimination of nausea in different cases:
- When overeating, reduce portions, discard fatty and spicy food.
- Tablets from nausea will help with motion sickness in transport.In seasickness, a patch with scopolamine is used, which is pasted 6 hours before travel.
- The course of psychotherapy will be useful for nausea as a result of stress or mental disorders.
- Nausea during pregnancy is removed with mint sweets or eating something, without getting out of bed after waking up.
Treatment of dizziness and nausea implies:
- acceptance of horizontal position;
- supply of fresh air;
- with unconsciousness, bring to the nostrils a cotton wool soaked with ammonia;
- if the cause in reduced pressure is to drink coffee or sweet tea;
- tranquilizers and soothing - they are prescribed for nervous overstrain( valerian, motherwort tincture, Seduxen, Novo-Passit);
- vestibulitic drugs - relieve the condition in attacks of nausea( lorazepam, diazepam, promethazine);
- Introduction Metoclopramide or Cerucal - is indicated for prolonged and painful conditions.
Tablets for nausea can only be prescribed by a doctor.Often used for these purposes are neuroleptics( Domperidone, Aminazine), angiystamine( Dimedrol, Pipolphen), dopamine receptor blockers( Cerukal, Alizaprid), and Metacin, Motilium, Aeron.Note: is very important to treat the underlying illness that caused nausea, not just the symptom itself. What can be signaled by nausea?You will find out the answer by viewing this video review:
Viktorova Julia, obstetrician-gynecologist