Benefits and harms of the solarium, rules for visiting the solarium
Jun 16, 2018
Tanned skin favorably emphasizes the beauty of a health-enhancing person.And in the 21st century, a beautiful tan can be purchased regardless of the season and the weather - if the sun does not pamper your attention, it will be replaced by a solarium.But to visit it you should with understanding, how correctly to sunbathe, that the desired color of a skin has not turned back troubles from health.Table of contents: Benefits and harms to the solarium Who can use the services of the solarium Contraindications to visiting the solarium Rules for visiting the solarium Age restrictions for visiting the solarium Combination of natural sunburn and purchased under the lamps General advice on visiting the solarium
Benefits and harms of the solarium
, The action of ultraviolet radiation( thanks to it the solarium "colors" our skin) has been studied to the full.But between specialists, battles continue about whether the solarium is harmful.Some dermatologists uncompromisingly advise to run away from it further away, and cosmetologists say that the action of the solarium is not more harmful than the action of the natural light."OkayDok" proposes to stick to the golden mean.And puts forward arguments.
"Cons" of the solarium in comparison with natural tan:
- The solarium booths provoke from 19 to 76 deaths per year from cutaneous melanoma.Such figures were announced by Dr. Pascal Empereur-Bissonnet on the Bulletin Epidemiologique Hebdomadaire pages, No. 18-19 / 2012;
- artificially tuned lamps, which even with the most careful adjustment can not reproduce ultraviolet radiation in the form in which we take it in natural conditions;
- the closed space of the "capsule", where the person is during the session - as a result, it is difficult to provide humidity and air circulation, as in natural conditions.
"Pros" of the solarium:
- according to the research, visiting the solarium helps to improve the mood, which can be explained by the psychotherapeutic effect of the procedure;
- to tan, we need to be under the lamps much less time than under the sun - this reduces the residence time under ultraviolet rays and reduces health risks( not excluding cancer of the skin).
There are two important reasons why a visit to the solarium is not forbidden, and even is advisable:
- chronic shortage of sunny days( when living in northern latitudes, in gloomy weather);
- gradual preparation of the skin for beach rest( that, being "pale-faced", not to burn with the abundance of the southern sun).
There are a number of clear criteria when it is not forbidden to visit a solarium:
- is not diagnosed with any skin diseases;
- in the history( life history) there were no common serious diseases;
- neoplasms are not diagnosed;
- is an acute disease that has been observed, completely cured( influenza, acute mastitis);
- exacerbation of chronic disease is docked( exacerbation of chronic appendicitis, exacerbation of chronic pancreatitis).
If all the points apply to you, you can go to the solarium, without forgetting to follow the rules of his visit( see below).
In other cases with a visit to the solarium, it is better to delay or completely abandon it.
Contraindications to visit the solarium
They are divided into:
- absolute - uncompromising when the solarium is prohibited to visit because of the threat to the operation of strategically important organs and systems;
- relative - if available, a visit to the solarium is not prohibited, but it is also not recommended, as it can cause deterioration of well-being, or it requires special care and observation.
Absolute contraindications to a visit to the solarium:
- any neoplasms - benign and malignant, local( atheroma) and generalized( sarcoma with the germination of neighboring organs or the spread of malignant metastases throughout the body);The warning relates to neoplasms not only of the skin but also of other organs and tissues of - these are osteomas( tumors of bone origin), myomas( neoplasms of muscle tissue), lymphomas( lymphoid tissue tumors), mastopathies( breast tumors in women), and so on;
- suffered severe systemic diseases( primarily from the cardiovascular system) in the past 6 months - myocardial infarction, meningitis, pancreatic necrosis);
- severe chronic diseases with complications( diabetes mellitus, coronary heart disease with cardiovascular insufficiency, hypertensive heart disease with severe hypertensive crises, thyrotoxicosis);
- generalized( widespread) skin diseases( in addition to the tumors mentioned above) - dermatitis( infectious inflammation of the skin - staphylococcal, streptococcal) and dermatoses( non-inflammatory changes in one or more layers of the skin - psoriasis, neurodermatitis);
- pregnancy regardless of the fetal development period;
- reception of antibiotics;
- rehabilitation measures - even if after a certain illness has passed a certain period of time, it is better to delay with a solarium if the doctor has prescribed rehabilitation measures related to a chronic illness( regular massage with severe osteochondrosis,Gastritis or stomach ulcers).
- early period after acute illness( acute gastritis, influenza, acute mastitis), after transferring such diseases, it is better to visit the solarium only after a complex of rehabilitation measures;
- early period after surgery( about acute appendicitis, hernia, removal of the gallbladder, suturing of the perforated ulcer of the stomach);
- mastopathy is a hormonal character that occurs only during menstruation.
Separately marked relative contraindication to visiting the solarium is an enhanced pigmentation - more intensive than normal, "painting" with the natural pigment of certain skin areas.This borderline condition of the skin, which is not considered a disease, but in which the skin has a tendency to oncological diseases. Hyperpigmentation can be manifested as:
- of so-called moles( small pigment spots, having a clear rounded shape and not exceeding 0.5 cm in diameter);
- extensive pigmentation irregular shape and arbitrary size( more than 0.5 cm in diameter).
If there is such a pigmentation, you can visit the solarium if you place a risk area with special stickers .They are provided free of charge in beauty salons, where there is a solarium.Another thing, if such a zone is extensive, and the aesthetic effect of sunburn will remain doubtful, since all the skin will not be "painted" with ultraviolet light - the tanning areas will alternate with white spots due to the fact that the skin fragments were covered from the action of ultraviolet rays.
The exact percentage of clients who fell ill due to abuse of the solarium is unknown, as there is no established cooperation between beauty salons and clinical institutions. But the risks with too much enthusiasm for a solarium are known:
- provocation of oncological diseases;
- if after a severe illness the pause is not sustained and the patient immediately went to the solarium - possibly worsening of the general condition and relapse of some symptoms of the transferred diseases;
- a visit to the solarium during an exacerbation of chronic diseases can provoke not only a deterioration in the general condition, but also the appearance of complications;
- Ultraviolet radiation can cause pregnancy disorders and changes in the composition and quantity of milk during breastfeeding;
- even a 1-2-3-time visit to the solarium during menstruation can increase their duration, cause pain and affect the regularity in the future;
- irradiation with ultraviolet light during antibiotic administration may affect their pharmacodynamics and pharmacokinetics( respectively, movement in the blood stream and effects on the body).
Rules for visiting the solarium
To ensure that a beautiful tan does not pay for ailments, you should follow the recommendations of cosmetologists about visiting solariums.In different beauty salons, equipment for artificial sunburn can differ in technical characteristics. But the rules for visiting them are the same:
- sunbathing in the solarium is necessary for the temporary increasing - start from 3-4-5 minutes per session, and with a healthy but photosensitive( sensitive to different kinds of rays) skin - evenFrom 1-2 minutes. During each next session it is recommended to add one minute to the time of the fire;
- tanning creams that are offered in beauty salons are not necessary - they do not play any role for skin and health protection in general , their role is to help in obtaining an even tan of the required intensity;
- if a woman visits the solarium immediately after the end of the month, and in the mammary glands there is still a hormone-dependent inhalation characteristic of the period of menstruation - during the burning session the mammary glands should be completely covered with a piece of natural tissue.
The mode of trips to the solarium, thanks to which would appear a beautiful tan, but that would not harm the health - individual. Therefore, very average recommendations for the duration of visits to the solarium are 10 visits with the following regularity:
- in the first half of the course - in a day or two( if the skin is swarthy - pauses lasting two days can not be done, one day as a breakEnough);
- in the second - every day.
Supporting sessions are held once every 10 days, with a total of no more than 6-8. In supporting sessions, due to which the skin will "retain" the acquired tan long enough, it is recommended to sunbathe in the solarium for a few minutes less than the session that was last in the course of the adopted course. For sensitive skin, supportive sessions should last no more than 5-6 minutes. The next course is recommended not earlier than in six months.
The characteristic smell of the skin( like slightly burnt animal hair) after a sunbathing session in the solarium should not cause panic.In this case it is necessary:
- to reduce the duration of the session for 1-2 minutes;
- does not increase the time, at least 2-3 subsequent sessions.
Age limits for visiting the solarium
In natural conditions, children take sun baths and sunbathe almost from the age of one year.But in the solarium( despite the thought that, ultimately, ultraviolet here and in nature is the same), they are allowed to sunbathe no earlier than from the age of 16. Courses in the amount of 6-7 sessions are allowed, ranging from 1 minute to the 4-5 minute length of stay in the "capsule" of the solarium for 1 session.
Some beauticians reduce this bar to 12 years of age - but in the event that parents go to a hot country: a tanning salon will help the skin to light up slightly, the child will not burn under the scorching tropical sun.The closer the country of family rest to the equator, the more appropriate it is for a child to visit the solarium.It is allowed to take a course of sunburn in the amount of 5-6 sessions, ranging from 1 minute and ending with a 3-4-minute length of stay in the solarium.But if there is a possibility of strict control over how the child will sunbathe in natural conditions - it is better to cancel the solarium.Also, should not be taken to the baby's solarium, which has a reduced production of vitamin D - for this there are more effective methods.
With age, the skin loses its elasticity, its age-related dehydration( loss of water) is observed.Melanin( skin pigment) is produced in increased amounts, but the substances are elastin and collagens, which ensure the durability of the skin matrix, begin to be produced in smaller quantities and to collapse more intensively.
Such changes start to take effect after 40-45 years - at this age to sunbathe in the solarium you need to be careful, because the ultraviolet can act ruthlessly on the little protected skin . As a minimum, it will accelerate its aging, as a maximum - it can provoke oncology processes.For 1 course it is recommended to take 7-8 sunbathing sessions. The rules for dosing artificial ultraviolet are as follows:
- start with 1 minute of sunbathing;
- add 1 minute to the duration of the stay not every next session, but after one session - that is, the maximum time of stay in the solarium can be up to 5 minutes;
- go to the tanning salon no more often than every other day.
- Since the age of 50, the tanning bed is best avoided.
Combination of natural tan and purchased under the
lamps Go to the solarium and after returning from the sea - in order to even tan with irregularities.Cosmetologists say that in this case, the time of stay in the solarium should not exceed 10 minutes per 1 session.Some experts allow a 15-minute stay under the lamps, arguing that the skin has adapted to the action of ultraviolet and has already sunbathed.
General tips for visiting the solarium
The following tips for visiting the solarium are universal and do not depend on age or gender:
- sunbathing is necessary by removing clothes and jewelry;
- it is necessary to cover your hair with a disposable cap, and hide your eyes behind sunglasses;
- can not be sunbathing on an empty stomach or after you have overeaten;
- it is possible to sunbathe only when the integument is clean and dry;
- , women need to stick a sticky protective circle on the areola of the breast;
- eat and drink while the machine is not recommended;
- after the session do not take a bath or shower for 3 hours - the color may appear for 1 hour after the session, if prematurely wet the skin - it does not "fix".Exposed to irradiation - and you will not get the desired result;
- can not combine a visit to the solarium with cosmetic procedures, which are characterized by deep elaboration of the skin - in particular, with peeling. The combined effect of glycolic acid, which is used in peeling, and irradiation can cause severe skin irritation.After peeling, you can sunbathe no earlier than 3-4 days.
Kovtonyuk Oksana Vladimirovna, medical reviewer, surgeon, consulting physician