Toothache in a child - what to do if there is no doctor nearby?
The mother herself should monitor the health of the child's teeth - inspect them for damage, regularly take the child to the dentist for preventive examinations, teach the baby to brush their teeth, and control the amount of sweets consumed.Only in this case the risk of toothache at the most inopportune moments will be minimized.
Unfortunately, no one is immune from the fact that the child has a toothache.And, as a rule, this syndrome develops at the most inopportune moment - the child rests at the grandmother in the village, weekends, holidays, night time.Certainly, at the first complaint of the baby for discomfort and pain in the teeth, you should immediately seek medical help.But what if there is no such possibility?
The algorithm of actions for toothache in a child
First, it is necessary to find out the exact localization of pain.After all, a small child often can not say exactly what it hurts - a carious tooth after getting on it sweets, injured gums or mucous cheeks.Therefore, let the child open his mouth and show his finger where exactly it hurts.
If the tooth is hurting, then find out if there is a swelling of the gingival tissue, perhaps a carious hole will be found.You can take a teaspoon and knock on the tooth( not very hard!) And if the child says that the pain is increasing( he can point out this with a sharp, more intense, crying), then we can assume the development of an inflammatory process in the nerve or bone tissue.
What can be done:
- if the body temperature is increased, then the child should be given any antipyretic medicine;
- the tooth needs to be rinsed with a warm solution of baking soda or saline solution - they perfectly pull out pus, can stop the progression of the inflammatory process.
Important! Do not heat a tooth, make hot compresses - the risk of a deep spread of infection is very high.At the first opportunity, you need to turn to the dentist, as it is impossible to stop the pathological process at home.
Secondly, be sure to examine the patient tooth for the presence of holes from caries.If it is found, then, most likely, the pain is caused by the ingress of food particles into the hollow. What can be done:
- the mother herself must brush the child's teeth with a toothbrush with paste - so the carious hollow will be cleansed of the irritating factor( food particles);
- give the baby clean warm water for rinsing the tooth.
If the cause of the pain is determined exactly, then as soon as the food particles are removed from the carious cavity, unpleasant sensations will pass.
Thirdly, it may be found that the child's finger points to a particular painful place, but there is no tooth there.True, moms will soon see a little swollen and reddened gum.This is possible with the eruption of teeth in the child - nothing dangerous in this, no, just need to take some action. Here they are:
- Before eating a child, you need to lubricate a sore spot with a local anesthetic drug - for example, Calgel or Vinilin;
- give the child any antipyretic syrup, as they all have a weak analgesic effect;
- give the baby a teaser with gel content, after having placed it for 10 minutes in the freezer.
We recommend reading:
But this is not all the reasons why a child may have a toothache. Dentists give the following recommendations:
- If the baby has recently erupted teeth, and he finger points to the pain just in the new teeth, then move the cheek and look at the space between them - most likely in these slots stuck fiber from meat or seeds from strawberries / raspberries.In this case, you only need to clean the teeth, which can be done with a soft toothbrush or floss.
- If, when examining the oral cavity on the gums, a small white spot was found and the child points to it as the place of pain localization, this is a sign of the development of stomatitis.It will be necessary to treat the oral mucosa with any antiseptic.If there is no such in the medicine cabinet, then you can use "grandmother" methods: you need to treat as often as possible a sore spot in the mouth with egg whites, strong tea brewing or a decoction of chamomile.It is worth knowing that in the next 2-3 days the baby will refuse food, be capricious, his body temperature may rise - for stomatitis this is a normal condition.
- Does the child have a toothache with a seal?Examine this tooth and soft tissue around - most likely, a small vial of pus will be found.This means that the inflammation develops in the tooth, and the pus has just found a way out.Try to open the abscess gently and if you see that its contents begin to separate, give the baby a solution of baking soda or cooking salt for rinsing.And urgently, immediately seek medical help!
There is another common cause of severe pain in the oral cavity in childhood - candidiasis, or thrush.It appears white in the tongue or with small whitish spots on the mucous cheeks.Thrush belongs to the category of fungal diseases, and they do not like the alkaline environment - you need to constantly rinse your mouth or water the cavity with baking soda solution.For early relief of the baby's condition, you can use a cotton swab soaked in a solution of soda - just gently, without applying the effort you need to remove this very white coating.
A child's toothache is always a problem that needs to be solved quickly with the help of a dentist.Recommended reading:
Tsygankova Yana Aleksandrovna, medical reviewer, therapeutist of the highest qualification category.