Biting the cheek - causes and treatment
Biting the cheek is a fairly common phenomenon, which is rarely considered a disease.It not only causes pain and discomfort, but also lowers the patient's quality of life.They are equally affected by both children and adults.
Note: regular trauma of the mucous membrane of the cheeks in a dream, while eating or talking can have serious causes and consequences.Table of contents:
Reasons for biting the cheek from the skin
Several factors contribute to the development of this pathology.It should be noted that in the absence of treatment and the transition of the disease to a chronic form, the risk of formation of precancerous conditions and even oral cancer increases.
Trauma of the mucous membrane of the cheek is possible as a result of the following reasons:
- Stress.With excessive excitement, the patient can bite the cheek from the inside, even without noticing it.
- Bad habit.It is also formed against a background of negative emotions, but more often in people with mental disorders.
- Features of the anatomical and morphological structure of the teeth and jaws.They meet quite a lot.
- Bruxism.It manifests itself with a strong compression of the jaws in a dream, before the grinding, as a result of which a bite occurs.This pathology is both a dental and psychological problem at the same time, therefore it is treated in a comprehensive manner.
The peculiarities of the anatomical and morphological structure of the teeth and jaws resulting in cheek bite include:
- incorrectly placed seal with overhanging edges;
- sharp knolls on chewing surfaces of teeth;
- dystopic teeth, which are located in the mouth outside the dentition;
- expansion of dental arches( lower, upper);
- poorly manufactured dentures;
- incorrect bite( congenital, acquired, lingual, buccal);
- teething wisdom teeth with a slant to the side;Sharp edges of broken teeth.
Symptoms of biting the cheek
Upon examination, the patient will file such complaints:
- pain in the place of biting of the mucous cheek;
- difficulty daily hygiene of the oral cavity;
- formation of wounds;
- tenderness when eating;
- soreness during a conversation.
Objectively, the physician discovers a local inflammatory process at the site of trauma and an uneven surface of the mucous membrane.A characteristic location of the wound is the line of teeth closing from the side of the cheek.If the bite is permanent and does not have time to heal, then the disease goes to a chronic stage.As a result - ulcerative and erosive processes are formed.
Important: One of the long-term consequences of chewing a cheek is a decubital( decubitus) ulcer and leukoplakia.
A decubital ulcer is formed at the site of regular trauma to the mucous membrane of the cheek. It requires obligatory consultation of a dentist and selection of treatment. L Ejkoplakia is a chronic pathology in which the mucous membrane of the oral cavity and inflammation in the stroma occur against the background of exogenous irritation.
The focus is on differential diagnostics.The wound surface as a result of cheek bite should be distinguished from tuberculous ulcer, leukoplakia and cancer.
Tuberculosis ulcer is very painful if you touch it .It has uneven ripped edges and a yellow grain.The cancer ulcer does not heal for a long time, more than a month.It is distinguished by the presence of a seal in the center and at the edges.Histological examination in this case allows to determine the diagnosis without error.
Please note: in any case, when a wound occurs as a result of biting the cheek, you should first seek medical help from a dentist.
Treatment for biting the cheek
To eliminate the biting of the cheek, both in the form of a physiological problem and a bad habit, the patient should, first of all, consult a professional dentist. The doctor selects the treatment in view of the reason, if necessary, sends to other specialists( oncologist, neurologist, otolaryngologist, psychotherapist).
Before visiting a doctor, you can rinse your mouth with cold water at home.This will help to eliminate bleeding, if it is and will relieve soreness.You can also rinse with broths from chamomile and St. John's wort.With a painful syndrome, you can take an anesthetic.
Basic principles of treatment for biting the cheek:
- treatment should be started no later than 2-3 days of the disease( this will provide the fastest cure);
- restriction or complete exclusion from the diet of a patient of irritating food;
- local wound treatment with antiseptic solution( 0.05% chlorhexidine);
- application of epithelial preparations that will accelerate the healing process( vitamin E, A, solcoseryl);
- if necessary, anti-inflammatory agents may be prescribed.
If the patient is in constant stress, experiences negative emotions and bites his cheek because of this, then the therapy should include necessarily also sedatives and psychological help.
If the cause of the pathology is improper prosthetics, filling, teething, then you should visit a dentist. The bite of the cheek when closing the jaws, he eliminates by grinding sharp bumps or removing the tooth, making new dentures, seals.
In case of an incorrect bite of the congenital type, it is necessary to consult an orthodontist. He will choose the right treatment, if necessary he will put braces, which will help to change the position of the teeth.
When bruxism is sometimes shown the manufacture of protective caps on the teeth, which are used only at night .Such devices do not allow the patient to squeeze the jaw very hard during sleep and bite the mucosa.
Note: , when biting your cheek, you can not lubricate the wound in your mouth with green or iodine, touch it with dirty hands, drink hot, exercise self-medication in the form of taking antibiotics without prescribing a doctor.
If mucosal healing is not observed during treatment, the wound increases in size, a hematoma appears, the pathological process spreads to the tongue, then an additional examination and visit the oncologist should be performed.
Betsik Julia, medical consultant