Dry cough: causes and effective treatments
Dry cough is the most common symptom of various pathologies of the respiratory tract.From the appearance of this symptom, no one is insured - cough is present in both children and adults, it can accompany rhinitis and sore throats.In any case, regardless of the reason for the appearance of a dry cough, the body needs to help cope with it.Table of contents: Possible causes of dry cough Dry cough description Than to cure dry cough Drugs for dry cough Folk remedies for dry cough
Possible causes of dry cough
Cough occurs when ingested foreign bodies or when sputum is accumulated - itJust frees the body.But with a dry cough sputum is absent, and precedes the development of the syndrome in question, perspiration and discomfort in the throat.
Causes of dry cough:
- infectious diseases of the respiratory tract;
- bronchial asthma;
- foreign body in the respiratory tract;
- is a tumor of the lung( benign or malignant);
- inhalation of toxic fumes.
In almost every case, an infectious disease of the respiratory tract is accompanied by a dry cough.If the patient is conducting the correct treatment, then after a short time the cough becomes moist.But if the syndrome under consideration lasts too long, there is no improvement, and the character of the cough does not change, this may indicate a progression of the inflammatory process in the lungs.
Important! Before dealing with dry cough, you need to find the true cause of this syndrome.And the best option will be to apply to specialists - only in the conditions of a medical institution it will be possible to conduct a full-scale examination of the patient.
Description of a dry cough
In medicine, there are 3 types of dry cough:
- deaf cough - this will become a sign of the development of a lung tumor or tuberculosis;
- barking cough - appears as a consequence of a viral disease in which the vocal cords were damaged;
- nasal cough - most often this type of dry cough is diagnosed in pediatric patients and accompanies whooping cough.
The reason for this syndrome can be smoking - it usually occurs in smokers in the morning hours( immediately after awakening) or with physical activity.Dry cough in a smoker can lead to the development of chronic bronchitis.
If the patient in question has a syndrome present against the background of bronchial asthma, then you need to be careful about the treatment of the disease and regularly visit a doctor for a follow-up examination.The fact that for bronchial asthma is characterized by pulmonary edema, and this can lead to the most serious complications, up to Quincke's edema and death.
Note: there is a so-called aspirin asthma, in which the use of even a small dose of aspirin provokes bronchospasm.The problem can be solved only by the urgent use of bronchodilators.
If a patient's examination does not confirm the presence of an infectious or viral respiratory disease, doctors may associate the appearance of dry cough with gastroenterological pathologies.For example, the syndrome under consideration is inherent in diseases of the gallbladder, stomach reflux.
Than to treat a dry cough
Treatment should not be aimed at getting rid of a dry cough!It is necessary to cure the underlying disease, but the dry cough can simply be mitigated, translated into a productive form, thus facilitating the patient's condition.Very often, with dry cough, anesthetics are used - they soften the throat, make the condition less uncomfortable.But such means categorically can not be given to sick children!
It is advisable to treat dry cough in children as follows:
- give drinking warm milk with honey or mineral water;
- air in the room where the patient is, you need to constantly moisturize;
- to carry out inhalation procedures with saline, essential oils.
Note: if the dry cough does not soften and does not become wet after 2-3 days of these procedures, you need to seek help from doctors - most likely, you need to conduct therapy with medications.
Drugs for dry cough
Important! Before using any of the following remedies, consult a doctor.Self-medication can be dangerous to your health.
There are a lot of medicines that can and should be taken with a dry cough. But in this article we will highlight only some of them:
- Alex Plus. In the composition of this drug there is also a substance that has an antitussive effect, and a substance that exerts an expectorant effect.Used this means inside - adults 3-4 times a day for 2-4 pastilles, children from 4 to 7 years - once a day 1-2 pastilles, children from 7 to 12 years - 3 times a day for 2 lozenges.
- Bronholin Salvia .This drug is available in the form of a syrup having an antitussive and bronchodilating property.The main active ingredients of this medication are ephedrine and glaucin - the first dilates the bronchi and reduces swelling, the second - suppresses cough.Syrup should be taken adult 1 tablespoon 304 times a day, children aged 3 to 10 years - 1 teaspoon 3 times a day.
- Bronchicum .The medicine is a syrup of vegetable origin, which has antitussive, anti-inflammatory and expectorant effect.Adult patients need to drink 1 teaspoon of syrup 5-6 times a day, children from 5 to 12 years - 1 teaspoon 3-4 times a day, children from 1 year to 4 years - a half teaspoon 3 times a day.
Please note: in the Bronchicum syrup contains extracts of thyme and primrose roots - these plants can become a provoking factor in the development of an allergic reaction.
- Hexapnevmin .This complex drug, combined, has antihistamine, antitussive and antimicrobial effect.This drug is allowed to take children only from 8 years old and adults at a dosage of 2-3 teaspoons a day with equal intervals between doses.
- Insty. The drug has an expectorant, mucolytic and anti-inflammatory effect.The product is produced in the form of granules, and its composition is completely herbal.Is accepted Insti 2-3 times a day immediately after meals.And before using the drug you need to dissolve one sachet in a small amount of water - this is a single dosage.
- Kodelak. Very powerful antitussive agent, the main active ingredient of which is codeine.For adults this medication is prescribed in a dosage of 1 tablet 2-3 times a day, and for children the same drug is issued as a syrup and is prescribed in a daily dosage of 5 ml.
- Cofanol .The drug is based on herbal components, has mucolytic, antitussive and antimicrobial effect.Adults and children under 14 years of age, doctors prescribe Cophanol 1-2 tablets 4 times a day, children aged 7 to 14 years - 1 tablet 3 times a day.
- Neo-Codion .Produced in the form of tablets, the main active ingredient is codeine.Take the drug should be 1 tablet to 4 times a day, but the time interval between doses should not be more than 6 hours.
- Paracodamol. This drug has a inhibitory effect that is directed against the cough reflex.In addition, Paracodamol has antipyretic effect, so it is especially good to take it with a dry cough against the background of colds.Assign a drug for 1-2 tablets 4-5 times a day, but not more than 8 pieces per day.
- Sinekod. Syrup, which has antitussive effect.The main active substance is butamyrate, which blocks the cough reflex, but does not inhibit respiratory activity.Adults appoint 15 ml before meals 3 times a day, children aged 6 to 12 years - 10 ml 3 times a day, children aged 3 to 6 years - 5 ml three times a day.
- Stoptussin. This is a syrup with antitussive effect.Take this drug should be strictly following the official instructions - the dosage depends on the weight of the patient.
- Tercodin. A combined agent that simultaneously suppresses cough, improves the secretory function of the bronchi and facilitates rapid evacuation of sputum.Accept Terkodin in the following dosages:
- adults over 12 years - 1 tablet 2-3 times a day;
- children from 5 to 10 years - half the tablet 3 times a day;
- children from 2 to 5 years - 1/3 tablet 3 times a day.
Folk remedies for the treatment of dry coughRecommended to read:
Treatment of dry cough with folk remedies is quite acceptable and very effective.Usually it is recommended to carry out inhalations, put compresses and take decoctions.
Inhalations with dry cough
For the disposal of this phenomenon, heat, oil and steam inhalations are carried out.Moreover, these procedures are in some cases even more effective than the use of specific drugs - with inhalation the effect is directly on the inflamed bronchial mucosa, therefore, the effect is rapid.
In order for the inhalation procedures to actually have a curative effect, use:
- Chamomile officinalis;
- St. John's wort;
All these medicinal plants have anti-inflammatory, expectorant and antiseptic effects.It is very easy to administer inhalation - you need to pour boiling water from all these plants, let it brew for half an hour and pour into a shallow and wide plate.And then it remains only to inhale the vapor with the mouth and breathe out the air with a towel.The duration of the procedure is no more than 20 minutes.
If you want to strengthen the effect of inhalations with vegetable decoctions, then in the ready-made solution you need to add 2-5 drops of essential oil.The most relevant in this situation will be pine, eucalyptus or sea-buckthorn oil.
Note: "grandfather" method of treating dry cough with inhalations over boiled potatoes will also have a good effect, soften the throat - do not ignore it.
Decoctions from vegetable raw materials can be prepared at home, and it is quite simple to take them - the main thing is to conduct a full course of treatment for dry cough. Recommended recipes:
- Warm milk with honey.This is the most sparing and effective way to relieve the intensity of dry cough in adults and children.Just make sure that the patient is not allergic to beekeeping products.To enhance the effect in milk, in addition to 1 teaspoon of honey, you can add ¼ tablespoons of soda and 1 teaspoon of butter.
- Mix in equal proportions licorice root, mullein flowers, althea root, pine buds, sage and pour boiling water for literally 10 minutes.Then, the broth is filtered and in a warm form is taken 3 times a day in an amount of 50 ml for one dose.
- Take one tablespoon of dry horsetail, pour one liter of water and cook over low heat for 3 hours.The drink is then cooled, filtered and taken at least 3 consecutive days of half a glass a day.
- Mix 2 tablespoons aniseed seeds with a teaspoon of honey and a pinch of salt( about ¾ teaspoon).The mixture is filled with a glass of water, brought to a boil and cooled at room temperature.Take the finished product should be 2 teaspoons 2-3 times a day.
Compresses and several other tools
Doctors say that compress is one of the most effective methods of soft cough softening. You can do, for example, the following:
- take 1 part apple cider vinegar;
- mix the vinegar with 3 parts of water;
- add 1 teaspoon of honey to the solution;
- soak in a finished product a textile napkin;
- attach the napkin to the breast( bypassing the area of the anatomical location of the heart);
- from above to lay polyethylene;
- all fix on the body with something warm( for example, a scarf or a shawl).
And here are some more effective tools from the category "traditional medicine":
- In 1 liter of milk, you need to boil 2 pieces of ripe figs before changing the color of the broth to a darker shade( chocolate-cream).Then the broth cool down drunk all the amount during the day in small sips and in a warm state.
- If you grind 2 medium bulbs, boil them in milk( 200 ml) for 20 minutes, cool and strain, then you will get an excellent remedy for getting rid of dry cough.Take onion and milk broth should be 2 teaspoons 3-4 times a day.
- You need to weld 1 lemon, cut it and squeeze the juice.To the resulting lemon juice is added 1 teaspoon of medical glycerin and honey so that as a result, a glass of finished medicinal product is obtained.A remedy for 1 teaspoonful is taken 5-6 times a day.
Dry cough always brings discomfort to the patient.You need to know the methods of getting rid of it, but do not ignore the importance of consultation with specialists.
Tsygankova Yana Aleksandrovna, medical reviewer, therapeutist of the highest qualification category