Causes of night cough and treatment
Cough is a protective reaction of the body that provides cleansing of the respiratory tract and simultaneously acts as a symptom of many diseases.It is believed that coughing most often disturbs at night.Why does this happen and in what ways can you stop the attack?
Night cough is recognized as the most unpleasant kind of this syndrome - it literally exhausts, does not give a full rest to the patient himself and his relatives.Table of contents: Causes of night cough Cough at night in adults Night cough in a child Than to cure a night cough?
Causes of nocturnal cough
Night cough is always paroxysmal, because in a horizontal position a person is unable to cough qualitatively, remove phlegm from the lungs.Another point - during sleep, all the processes occurring in the body, take place slowly.So it turns out that the sputum in the lungs liquefies very slowly, drains into the pharynx, accumulates there - in the daytime the patient just cleansed once and the accumulated secret was removed, it will not be done at night.
It should be understood that a night cough is not a disease, but a symptom of some particular pathology.Most often, the condition under consideration arises against the background of chronic pathologies of the respiratory tract of an infectious or viral origin, and an allergic night cough may also be present.
There is a clear list of reasons that provoke attacks of a night cough .These include:
- dry and cold air in the bedroom - it gets into the respiratory tract, it starts to act on the mucous annoying;
- physiological features - mucus accumulating in the nasopharynx, with the horizontal position of the human body does not resolve;
- is an allergic reaction to any stimulus;
- viral infection;
- bronchitis, whooping cough, tracheobronchitis and other pathologies of the respiratory tract.
Note: in the case of developing coughing attacks exclusively at night and in the absence of other symptoms of a cold, the doctor can treat this syndrome as a manifestation of bronchial asthma.
Cough at night in adults
According to statistics in adults, night cough usually occurs for the following reasons:
- progressive bronchial asthma;
- congestive heart failure;
- gastric reflux.
In principle, for each mentioned type of night cough, you can distinguish the following characteristics:
- with bronchial asthma cough will be dry, accompanied by shortness of breath, chest pain and wheezing;
- a night cough on the background of prolonged heart failure is always accompanied by palpitation, dyspnea;
- attack of cough due to gastroenterological pathologies occurs when irritating the mucous respiratory tract acid content of the stomach( with reflux it just splashes into the esophagus), which is accompanied by heartburn and a feeling of compression in the chest.
Night cough in a child
If this syndrome occurs against the background of the development of an acute viral infection, at the very beginning of this disease, then it is possible to cope with seizures quickly and easily. But in general, doctors distinguish the following features of a nocturnal cough in childhood:
- A long, persistent and unresponsive cough at night can occur against the background of the progression of an infectious disease of viral or bacterial etiology.
- Dry cough, characterized by rare attacks at night and total absence during the day, may be against the background of allergies - for example, dust intolerance, pollen of some plants, tobacco smoke, washing powder or rinse aid.
- If a child has recently undergone a course of antibiotic treatment, then he is likely to be weakened by immunity.Against this background, a night cough can signal a fungal disease.
- Night cough is one of the most important symptoms of pertussis, and this infection represents a real danger to the health of the baby.
- This syndrome can appear in the child and in the background of diseases of the ENT organs - rhinitis, sinusitis, adenoiditis, which are very often diagnosed just in childhood.How to cure a night cough?
Note: to treat the actual night cough does not make sense - you can only "lubricate" the syndrome, reduce its intensity.It is necessary to visit a doctor, identify the true cause of the syndrome in question and conduct a therapeutic treatment for the main disease.
But during the treatment of the underlying disease it will be superfluous to take some measures that will help alleviate the condition of the patient and provide a restful sleep.
What you can do:
- You should drink broths of herbs, milk with honey or mineral water in a warm form at the very beginning of an attack of a night cough.Such warm drinks soften dry cough, significantly increase the amount of sputum to be separated, and have a beneficial effect on the condition of inflamed mucous membranes.
- In a room in which there is a night sleep, you need to install air humidifiers - this will make it more moist, clean, which will automatically reduce the intensity of a night cough.
- At night, you can take and antitussive medications - this will immediately stop the developing attack, but it will not have the therapeutic effect.
- Attack of night cough will quickly remove steam inhalations - it is convenient to conduct them with a nebulizer, which is ready for use at any time.A solution for such emergency inhalations can be used either - decoction of chamomile, thyme, water + baking soda and others.
- If a night cough is present in a child under 1 year of age, then in no case should it be given antitussive drugs - they are too aggressive for such a small patient.At the age of up to 6 months you can not do steam inhalations and rub your breasts.You can do the following:
- the position of the body of a small patient is often changed during sleep - phlegm will not accumulate;
- for sleep use a high pillow - it will be easier to absorb and depart sputum.
Note: doctors do not recommend using night coughs with mustard plasters - their effectiveness in this condition raises great doubts among specialists.In any case, mustard categorically can not be used if the patient has fever or hypersensitivity to the skin.Night coughing is not a disease!
Before you even take any action, be sure to go through the examination in a medical institution, establish a diagnosis and get competent appointments about the treatment of the underlying pathology.
Tsygankova Yana Aleksandrovna, medical reviewer, therapeutist of the highest qualification category