Phosphate kidney stones: treatment and diet
Jun 20, 2018
When urolithiasis in human kidney can form a variety of composition stones( calcium salts, urate, amino acid, cholesterol and others), but often - oxalate, urate and phosphate.The last one will be devoted to this article.
Phosphate stones contain calcium salts of phosphoric acid, therefore, unlike other types of calculi, they can be found during an X-ray study.Phosphate stones are characterized by rapid growth( they are able to reach large sizes and become so-called coral stones, which are a mold of the entire renal pelvis).Contents: Causes of phosphate stones Symptoms Diagnosis Treatment phosphate stones diet with phosphate kidney stones Phytotherapy Prevention
Causes of phosphate stonesRecommendations:
There are three main reasons for the formation of kidney phosphate stones:
- Alkaline urine reaction.
- Phosphaturia.It arises from a diet, a violation of phosphorus metabolism.
- Infectious inflammatory processes in the kidneys, which lead to alkalization of urine.Chronic pyelonephritis is often accompanied by phosphate stones in the kidneys.
In addition, a role in the formation of phosphate stones also play the following factors:
- sedentary lifestyle.
- Increased calcium urine content, which occurs in certain diseases( hyperparathyroidism, myeloma and other ailments).
- Low rate of urine formation and, as a consequence, high concentration of salts in it.
- Vitamin deficiency( especially D, E, A).
- Abuse of food and drink, increasing the concentration of calcium in the urine( strong tea and coffee, cocoa, chocolate).
- Diseases accompanied by metabolic disorders( eg, diabetes mellitus).
some special signs in the presence of phosphate kidney stones in humans usually do not. These stones are usually smooth, so do not cause intense pain when you change your position or move on the urinary tract( unpleasant sensations of course there is a dull pain in the back, waist, lower abdomen).That is, to suspect that in the kidneys it is the phosphate stones that the doctor can not only complain about the patient's complaints.This requires a more detailed laboratory and instrumental examination.
To detect phosphate stones carried urinalysis( detected phosphaturia), ultrasound, computed tomography and radiography kidneys.
In addition, after finding phosphate stones in the kidneys, doctors will need to find the cause of this pathological condition.Therefore, if the patient has signs of pyelonephritis, a bacteriological examination of urine( necessarily with an antibioticogram) may be required.If a problem in the exchange of calcium and phosphorus is suspected - parathyroid hormone assays, the concentration of these electrolytes in the blood and other studies.
Treatment of phosphate stones
Treatment of phosphate stones always begins with a change in the patient's diet. A strict diet should prevent the emergence of new concrements.At the same time, the infectious inflammatory process in the kidneys is treated, if any.Apply uroseptics and antibiotics( they are selected depending on what microorganism was sown in the urine).
The subsequent tactics of treatment depend on the patient's well-being and the size of the stones.If the concrements are small, their expulsion is carried out with the help of water load( the patient is prescribed plenty of drink, spasmolytic and diuretic drugs).If this method is unsuccessful, as well as in the presence of large stones and the development of complications, lithotripsy or classical surgical intervention is indicated.
Diet in phosphate kidney stones
Compliance patients special diet is of sufficient importance in the treatment of urolithiasis with a tendency to the formation of phosphate stones.Such a patient is shown a medical table №14. Here are some recommendations of this diet:
- Allowed products are meat, some by-products( lungs, brain), lard, fish, butter, carrots, cabbage, cereals( but not all), sour apples and berries( cranberries, cranberries, etc.).
- Milk, cottage cheese, sour cream, bread, pasta, buckwheat, oatmeal, corn porridge can be consumed in moderation.
- It is necessary to completely eliminate from the diet acute, smoked, fried, concentrated broths, mushrooms, beans, nuts, cocoa, chocolate, hard cheese, liver, eggs, chicken.
- Recommended drinks - sour compotes and fruit drinks, as well as mineral water( "Narzan" and other waters that promote acidification of urine).Drink a lot, so that a day allocated at least a liter of urine.
For phosphate stones in the kidneys decoctions of the following medicinal plants are shown:
- horsetail field;
- leaves of cranberries;
Important : must always consult a physician before using traditional medicine.
Certain physical exercises, according to the "Internet community", can facilitate the removal of stones.To such exercises include all kinds of slopes, jumps, torso rotations.In principle, their performance is not harmful to the body, but it is possible to begin physical therapy only after a complete examination, as an independent stimulation of the exit of stones is fraught with the development of serious complications - obstruction of the ureters, damage to their walls, etc.
Since phosphate stones are produced in an alkaline environment, the main prevention measures should be directed to acidification of urine. To do this, you need to eat more meat and fatty fish, sour fruits and berries.In addition, you should drink a sufficient amount of liquid, so that the phosphate-calcium salts do not stay in the kidneys.
In addition to proper nutrition to prevent the formation of phosphate stones, it is extremely important to detect and treat infectious and inflammatory processes of the urinary tract in a timely manner.It should not be limited to phytotherapy and folk remedies, pyelonephritis should be treated with antibiotics.
Another link in the prevention of the formation of any kidney stones is motor activity, because hypodynamia is one of the factors contributing to the development of urolithiasis.
Zubkova Olga Sergeevna, medical reviewer, epidemiologist