The main signs of cancer: how not to miss cancer?
- Pain in the stomach - is one of the signs of cancer of the stomach or pancreas.For a long time, the pain can be insignificant, people and doctors most often associate it with gastritis, peptic ulcer.However, it is better to undergo an additional examination - FGDS or X-ray of the stomach, which will help clarify the diagnosis.
- A sharp decrease in weight - noted for tumors of almost any localization, but it can be considered the leading sign of oncology of the intestine.It should not be confused with weight loss as a result of diet or exercise - in case of oncology, the body weight decreases, even if the patient does not make any effort.
- Changes in the color of the skin, most often jaundice, characteristic of tumors of the pancreas and liver.It arises because of the difficulty of outflow of bile, increased concentration of bile pigments in the blood, often accompanied by severe itching.In addition to the skin, icteric color is acquired by sclera, tongue.
- Cough and difficulty in breathing are leading signs of lung cancer.At an early stage of the cancer there is a dry, unobtrusive cough, and as the disease progresses, it becomes an invasive, dyspnea is attached.
- Difficulty swallowing - the sensation of a foreign body, preventing the ingestion of food and water, is a typical sign of cancer of the pharynx or esophagus.As the tumor grows, the patient can stop swallowing altogether.
- Heartburn - is caused by ingestion of gastric juice from the stomach into the esophagus( gastroesophageal reflux).It is characteristic not only for gastritis, but also for cancer of the stomach and duodenum.
- Swelling of the face( or upper half of the trunk).Typical for central lung cancer, when a growing tumor squeezes the blood and lymph vessels, thereby causing swelling.
- Enlargement of lymph nodes - most tumors cause the reaction of regional lymph nodes.At later stages, these nodes are metastasized, which also contributes to an increase in their size.
- Increased bleeding - the appearance of bruises and bruising without sufficient reason may be a sign of blood cancer.With tumors of the liver, blood coagulates worse.
- Increased fatigue - chronic intoxication causes a feeling of general malaise, a pronounced weakness.Especially distinctly these symptoms are manifested when the internal organs are affected.
- The appearance of blood in the stool and bleeding from the anus after the act of defecation are serious signs of oncology of the rectum.There are also benign diseases with similar symptoms, but it is possible to distinguish them from cancer only with the help of rectoscopy or a colonoscopy.
- Digestive disorders - constipation and diarrhea, mostly of a chronic nature, often occur with bowel cancer.
- Difficulty with urination - a delay, a rapid increase in the symptoms of the prostate and bladder.
- Burning during urination - typical of cystitis, urethritis or venereal diseases.In prostate tumors, men also have this symptom at the base of the penis.
- Blood in the urine or semen - can occur with cancer of the urinary system: kidney, bladder, prostate.In women, blood in the urine or bloody discharge from the genital tract, not associated with menstruation, are signs of the oncology of the female genital organs.
- Decreased libido: a sign of prostate cancer in men or ovarian and uterine cancer in women.
- Swelling of the scrotum and penis - may indicate cancer of the testicles or penis.
- Pain syndrome in the back.Of course, the main cause of back pain is osteochondrosis or inflammatory diseases of the spine.However, in some cases, pain in the back, poorly controlled by pills or simple analgesics, may be a sign of metastatic lesions of the vertebrae.
- Headache.Sometimes it is the only sign of a brain tumor, especially if the pain is one-sided and poorly treatable.
- Discharge from the nipples - can occur in breast cancer, which is not only in women, but also in men.Simultaneously with the discharge of the patient, breast tenderness can be disturbing.
- Strange moles and irregular spots of pigmentation are one form of melanoma or basal cell skin cancer.
- Fever - prolonged, sluggish hyperthermia( fever) without other signs of infection is noted in 30% of patients with oncology.
- Breast seals in women are signs of breast cancer.Especially it is necessary to treat with caution the combination of seals with secretions from the nipples.In this case, you urgently need to see a mammalogist or a surgeon.
- Pathological changes in the appendages of the skin - nails and hair: dull hair with a tendency to fall out, as well as dystrophic changes in nails( exfoliation, fragility) indicate an active tumor process, in which the skin, nails and hair simply do not have enough nutrients.
- Dysfunctional bleeding - spotting from the vagina, not associated with menstruation, are noted for uterine cancer, cervical cancer and ovarian cancer.
- Fainting is one of the signs of a brain tumor.With even greater confidence about a brain tumor, the combination of syncope with convulsions can be said.
- Swelling in the extremities - a knob on the shin, thigh or shoulder may occur with malignant bone tumors( osteosarcoma).Very often, there are also pathological fractures, even a slight blow to the bone can lead to its fracture.
- Memory disorders.In young people, a decrease in intelligence, forgetfulness and absent-mindedness can be noted in brain tumors.
- Decreased appetite - noted in most cancers.By the way, with the lack of appetite is associated and pathological weight loss in cancer patients.
- Sweating - a sharp change in the usual skin moisture is noted in a number of neuroendocrine tumors.
- Tides - a sensation of heat in the face or in the whole body can be not only in women during menopause, but also with certain tumors of the endocrine system.
- Mood swings - a sharp change of emotional background is typical for head tumors and for some hormone-producing tumors in women.
- Sharp decrease in vision, loss of fields - can occur with tumors of the optic nerve and certain structures of the central nervous system.
In the general structure of diseases, oncology ranks second.Cancerous tumors can affect any tissues of the human body.The success of cancer treatment is largely determined by the stage at which the diagnosis was made.Therefore, one should know about the signs of cancer, which will help to identify the disease in the earliest manifestations.Recommended to read:
33 symptoms that will help to suspect oncology
Important: should any of the above symptoms occur, consult a doctor.It is possible that there is absolutely nothing to fear, and these symptoms are just manifestations of another more harmless disease.But the neglect of this advice is often too expensive.Malignant processes, which did not pay attention in time, result in a fatal outcome! For more information on early symptoms of oncological diseases, please review this video review:
Symptoms of oncology are very fond of disguising themselves under the symptoms of other diseases, so you can exclude the diagnosis of cancer only after a thorough examination.It's not for nothing that foreign specialists recommend an annual preventive examination for people over the age of 30.
Roman Gudkov, resuscitation specialist