Adnexitis - a complete description of gynecological disease
The inflammatory process, localized in the fallopian tubes, is classified in gynecology as adnexitis.It can occur in acute or chronic forms, be unilateral or bilateral and lead to serious complications, including infertility.Table of contents: Causes of adnexitis development Adaptitis symptoms
Causes of adnexitis development
Adnexitis is an inflammation of the uterine appendages( ovaries and fallopian tubes), which is more susceptible to sexually active women aged 20 to 30 years.
Adnexitis always begins with the fallopian tubes - in this case, the doctors will clarify the diagnosis and indicate in the medical history of salpingitis.The cause of the onset of inflammation of the appendages is the penetration of pathogenic bacteria / viruses by ascending( through the genital tract) or descending( with the bloodstream) pathway.Often, when diagnosing acute adnexitis, staphylococci, eserchia and streptococci are identified.
After getting the infection in the fallopian tube and the development of the pathological process, the disease spreads to the ovary - in this case the gynecologists talk about salpingo-oophoritis.
Factors that can provoke the development of adnexitis:
- regular supercooling;
- non-observance of personal hygiene rules;
- long-term use of hormonal contraceptives;
- chronic infections and inflammatory processes in the body;
- diagnosed pathologies of the gastrointestinal tract;
- frequent abortions;
- unsuccessful pregnancies or prolonged labor;
- overwork, regular nervous breakdowns, psychoses and neuroses.
Symptoms of adnexitis
Signs of adnexitis can be variable - it depends on the overall health of women, the strength of immunity and the features of the functioning of the reproductive system.There are two forms of the inflammatory process under consideration - each of them has a distinctive symptomatology.
This form of inflammation of the uterine appendages shows signs of a malaise:
- hyperthermia - increased body temperature to critical levels;
- nausea and vomiting after eating;
- is a dizziness and headache of unexplained etiology.
These symptoms of inflammation of the appendages can be mistaken for an ordinary cold and only after the specific signs of adnexitis join the general deterioration of health, the woman turns to the doctor. The latter include:
- periodic abdominal pain - either cover the entire abdomen( bilateral adnexitis), or has localization on the left or right( unilateral adnexitis);
- pain syndrome is present in the rectum - it is characterized as a chamber;
- itching of the vulva - a woman can control it in the daytime, unconscious combing starts at night, which leads to irritation of the mucosa and microtrauma;
- from the vagina begins to go pathologically altered leucorrhoea - they change color( from greenish to gray-yellow), acquire a fetid odor.
This form of the inflammatory process in the uterine appendages under consideration is always a consequence of untreated acute adnexitis.In the remission phase, a woman may experience a minor intensity of the pain syndrome in the lower abdomen( usually it is intensified just before the menstrual period), a short-term rise in temperature to subfebrile indicators.
In case of exacerbation of inflammation, pains acquire a vividly intense "color", from the vagina the abundant proteins of a specific structure begin to be released, the body temperature rises suddenly and immediately to high values.
In the chronic course of adnexitis, several other disorders are also characteristic:
- disorder of sexual function - for example, lack of attraction to men, unwillingness to have sexual intercourse;
- disorders of the menstrual cycle;
- problems with digestion and in the urinary system( pyelonephritis, cystitis).
For more information on symptoms of adnexitis and the consequences of transferring this disease - in the video review:
A gynecologist is not allowed to diagnose adnexitis solely on the basis of a patient's complaints - some symptoms are identical to other pathologies. To obtain the completeness of the clinical picture, the physician should prescribe the following diagnostic procedures for the woman:
- ultrasound examination of the reproductive system;
- computed tomography;
- laboratory examination of blood and urine tests;
- Hysterosalpingography - X-ray examination of the fallopian tubes and ovaries using a contrast medium.
Methods for treating adnexitis
Treatment of acute adnexitis is always performed in a medical institution:
- a woman is shown bed rest and complete rest;
- patient should be provided with plenty of drinking - teas, fruit drinks, compotes and water;
- health professionals should constantly monitor its condition;
- the doctor makes the appointment of anti-inflammatory non-steroid drugs, antibacterial drugs.
Once the main signs of acute inflammation of the uterine appendages are removed, the woman should receive appointments for physiotherapy - electrophoresis, warming, vibromassage.
In conclusion, when the recovery period is already beginning, a woman is recommended to visit specialized sanatoriums, regularly perform paraffin treatment and take medicinal baths.
Note: if adnexitis in the acute form of the flow is not treated, the risk of its transformation into a chronic form grows many-fold, and the treatment of a chronic inflammatory process will require great effort, time and money. The essence of the treatment of inflammation of the appendages in the chronic course of the disease:
- the appointment of antibacterial and anti-inflammatory non-steroid drugs during periods of exacerbation of the disease;
- reception of immunomodulators.
If the disease is in remission, then the woman should take some preventive measures - avoid hypothermia, undergo regular checkups at the gynecologist, take multivitamin complexes to strengthen immunity.
Please note: it is possible to apply drugs according to folk prescriptions only if chronic adnexitis is in remission or during recovery after acute adnexitis treatment, when the peak of inflammation has already been passed.
Here are just a few recipes approved by the official medicine:
- Brew 1 tablespoon of borage, wintergreen and wintergreen in 300 ml of water( boil for 5 minutes, then insist for 2 hours).This broth should be taken 4 times a day for 50 ml, the duration of admission - 10 days.
- Take the sea buckthorn oil and moisten it with a hygienic tampon - the temperature of the oil should be such that the finger feels pleasantly warm.The tampon is inserted into the vagina for the night, 5 similar procedures are prescribed for the treatment course.
- Conduct syringing with a warm decoction of sage and chamomile.
- You can make the baths from a string - the broth is prepared according to the classic recipe: a tablespoon of dry raw material on a glass of water, boil for 10 minutes, insist for 2 hours.
Adnexitis( inflammation of the uterine appendages), in principle, is not considered a dangerous disease.But if a woman persistently ignores the symptoms of acute adnexitis, to avoid visiting a gynecologist and not to fulfill his appointment, the inflammatory process will become chronic.And this can serve as the formation of a large number of adhesions, which is the cause of female infertility.
To get more information about inflammation of the appendages, to learn about the most common signs of adnexitis, the methods of treating this disease, see this video review:
Tsygankova Yana Aleksandrovna, medical reviewer, therapeutist of the highest qualification category.