Benefit and harm of kohlrabi
Kohlrabi is one of the interesting cabbage vegetables that enjoys well-deserved demand among consumers all over the world.Due to unpretentiousness to the conditions, such cabbage grows rapidly in any climate, on any type of soil.And this determines its affordable cost, which is important, if you want to establish a healthy diet within a certain budget.The use of kohlrabi is difficult to overestimate, so it will fit perfectly into the menu of not only absolutely healthy people, but also those who have certain problems.
Interesting! The kohlrabi cabbage looks like a turnip.And according to some sources, translating its name literally means "cabbage turnip."
Properties and chemical composition of
Before asking why the kohlrabi is useful, it is necessary to familiarize yourself with its chemical composition.
Interesting! The birthplace of kohlrabi is the eastern coast of the Mediterranean.But it was grown and widely used as food in ancient Rome.
Nutritional value of 100 g:
- Calories 44 kcal
- Proteins 8 g
- Fats 1g
- Carbohydrates 9 g
- Dietary Fiber 7 g
- Water 2 g
Useful properties kohlrabi due to the presenceIn it the vitamins of groups B, A, C, K, E, PP, and also choline.Minerals - a large list of all necessary for the proper functioning of the body, ranging from aluminum, cobalt and boron, ending with iodine, selenium, zinc, fluoride. Also in kohlrabi contain :
- vegetable oils;
- proteins, glucose, fructose.
- enzymes, amino acids.
The amount of vitamin C is 50 mg, which is half the daily allowance for an adult male or a full daily allowance for a child under 13 years of age.That is why the vegetable has one more name in the people - "northern lemon".
Use of kohlrabi
If you include kohlrabi in a regular diet, you can quickly restore the work of the gastrointestinal tract.It has a beneficial effect on the work of such organs as the liver, gall bladder, and also stabilizes the metabolic processes of the whole organism.
Important! Kohlrabi is not only recommended for use by pregnant women.Pediatricians advise her to enter the diet for children from 8-9 months.
A certain amount of cabbage has other health benefits:
- improving the functions of the immune system, due to which people are less likely to have various infectious ailments;
- an easy diuretic effect, which helps stabilize the kidneys and allows you to reduce the frequency of hypertensive crises;
- preventing the deposition of cholesterol on the walls of blood vessels, as well as their purification;
- physicians argue that such a cabbage is good for strengthening the muscles of the heart, for stabilizing blood pressure;
- can also be used to prevent atherosclerosis, especially for those at risk;
- kohlrabi cabbage is able to remove toxins from the intestines, so it is recommended for those who are prone to obesity or live in areas with chemically unhealthy environments.
Despite the high saturation of the product with macro- and microelements, vitamins and even the presence of glucose, the caloric content of the product is only 41.7 kcal per 100 g.
The use of kohlrabi will be very noticeable with regular use if it is for strengthening the teethAnd gums.And also its wide use in cosmetology, since the masks based on this cabbage are able to even improve the complexion first time, remove pigment spots, enlarged pores, and with regular application - make the skin more elastic and elastic.
Important! In folk medicine, kohlrabi is used as a basis for the treatment of asthma, tuberculosis, coughing, inflammation of the oral mucosa.
No special contra-indications kohlrabi has. There are only factors in which one should be extremely cautious:
- increased gastric acidity;
- predisposition to allergies, including this type of cabbage, which is extremely rare, but still occurs;
- exacerbation of pancreatitis.
Kohlrabi is widely used in folk medicine, so there are many recipes based on this cabbage.The most effective of them, according to users of different Internet resources, are described below.
- 100 ml of juice - take 30-40 minutes before meals, if there are problems with the appetite or as a means to properly normalize metabolism and weight loss.
- Decoction of 60 g of tops and 1.5 tbsp.Water - apply for ½ st.Twice a day to improve the patient's condition with bronchial asthma.
- Mask for whitening and toning the skin - just rub the leaves, mix with the selected juice and apply to the face for 10-20 minutes.