Genital itching in women: causes and examinations
Jul 02, 2018
Genital itching often becomes a sign of a large number of gynecological and systemic diseases.Symptom causes an irresistible desire to comb the skin in the genital area.This, in turn, leads to a high risk of infection of the combs.Table of contents: Common causes of genital itching Genitals examination regimen
Common causes of genital itching
The main pathological conditions associated with genital itching include:
- Sexual infections( candidiasis, Mycoplasmosis, ureaplasmosis, chlamydia, and others).In women, sexually transmitted diseases cause severe itching in the labia and vagina, combined with abnormal discharge from the genital tract, burning during the emptying of the bladder, discomfort during sexual intercourse.Due to the constant scratching of the skin, microcracks are formed, which creates favorable conditions for the propagation of pathogenic microorganisms.
- Dysbacteriosis of the vagina.Infringement of a parity of useful and pathogenic microflora occurs owing to various factors, in particular, insufficient or wrong hygiene, long antibiotic therapy, diseases of a digestive tract, wearing of synthetic close underwear.
- Other gynecological diseases( colpitis, vulvar atrophy, etc.).
- Diseases of internal organs and body systems( inflammatory diseases of the bladder and kidneys, diabetes, disorders in the activity of the hematopoietic system, dysfunction of the thyroid gland, etc.).
- Parasitic diseases( helminthic invasions).Benign and malignant neoplastic diseases.
- Hormonal disorders.Genital itching is a common symptom of hyperprolactemia, a deficiency of sex hormones.Also, before the menses, itching can occur in the genital area due to natural hormonal changes in the body.
- Autoimmune diseases( various types of dermatitis that cause inflammation of the skin in the genital area);
- Mental causes( chronic stress, depressive conditions, diseases of the nervous system);
- Allergic reaction to cosmetics, douching solutions, household chemicals, etc.
Schematic examination for pruritus genitals
If a pathological symptom occurs, it is necessary to consult a gynecologist.
Important ! When performing a routine examination, it is possible to find characteristic combs on the skin, dryness, flushing of the labia.To establish an accurate diagnosis, a number of laboratory and instrumental studies are assigned.
Laboratory diagnostics include:
- smear for the determination of the vaginal microflora by Gram;
- bacteriological culture with the detection of susceptibility to drugs from the group of antibiotics;
- revealing the titer of antibodies to giardiasis, chlamydia, toxoplasmosis, trichomoniasis;
- PCR analysis for latent sexual infections;
- analysis for hepatitis, HIV and syphilis;
- general clinical blood test;
- blood test for glucose level( performed on an empty stomach);
- biochemical blood test;
- Hormonal blood test;
- study of feces on the egg worm and dysbiosis, coprogram;
- general clinical study of urine;
- study on the definition of tumor markers;
- allergic tests if necessary after consultation of an allergist.
Patients are also assigned to consult a dermatovenereologist and mycologist.According to the indications, an immunologist is consulted to determine the immune status, a neurologist and a psychiatrist( with the suspicion that the genital itch is psychogenic).
Additional diagnostics may include:
- colposcopy - to identify signs of vulval atrophy, papillomas, leukoplakia and other pathological conditions;
- ultrasound examination of the small pelvis;
- examination and palpation of the lymph nodes.
Most laboratory tests are recommended to be taken out in the morning on an empty stomach.Blood for analysis is taken from the vein.Detailed information on the preparation for research will be given by a doctor in advance.
The attending physician interprets the obtained results of laboratory and instrumental studies.Normally, when testing for infections and markers of hepatitis, syphilis and HIV, the result should be negative.The results of other analyzes should also show no deviations from the generally accepted norm.When carrying out US-diagnostics and colposcopy, pathological signs are not detected.
As a rule, the above studies are sufficient to establish a reliable diagnosis and the appointment of appropriate therapy.
Chumachenko Olga, medical reviewer