Mukaltin: instructions for use, indications and contraindications
Jul 05, 2018
Mukaltin is a medicinal product that belongs to the group of expectorants of vegetable origin( mucolytics group).The main active ingredient Mukaltina is a dry extract of the drug althea, which is able to exert an anti-inflammatory, expectorant and enveloping effect on the bronchial mucosa.Mukaltin also contains potassium bicarbonate - it has antitussive and secretolytic effect.Recommended to read:
Mucaltin is most commonly used for diseases of the lower respiratory tract, but not only.The same drug will be effective in pharyngitis, laryngitis, bronchial asthma, tuberculosis, bronchiectasis, emphysema, bronchitis, pneumonia, chronic obstructive pulmonary disease, pneumoconiosis.
Note: Mukaltin is very widely used in the treatment of acute and chronic cough cough.Contents: How does the drug work Use Mukaltina for dry and wet cough How to use Mukaltina What you need to remember
How does the drug
To understand the mechanism of action of the drug in question, you just need to know what properties it has:
- Actively stimulates the secretion of bronchial glands.So not only does the mucus form in large amounts, but there is a resorption / dilution of already accumulated sputum.
- Reflexively stimulates the activity of the ciliated epithelium.This leads to an improvement in the activation of the outflow of mucus and sputum from the tracheobronchial tree.
- Activates the peristalsis of respiratory bronchioles.This property ensures the evacuation of mucus and sputum from the lower respiratory tract.
- Reduces viscosity, tightness of sputum.
Application Mukaltina with a dry and moist cough
This drug is not simply used by doctors so often - it is universal, able to help with both unproductive( dry) cough and productive( wet).If Mukaltin is used by patients with pathologies of the lower respiratory tract, characterized by the presence of a moist cough, then almost immediately there is a dilution of accumulated mucus, an improvement in its outflow and a faster evacuation of sputum.
The considered pharmaceutical preparation differs the combined action - it also dilutes sputum, and promotes its deducing.But it is liquid sputum( not viscous) that is easiest to excrete - the patient can cough well enough to evacuate it.
Note: timely evacuation of sputum allows avoiding the attachment of secondary infection in the sputum accumulated in the lower respiratory tract - the environment for pathogenic bacteria is simply optimal for growth and reproduction.
If we talk about diseases that are accompanied by a non-productive cough, then here Mukaltin will be effective - the agent provokes sputum formation, which contributes to the fastest completion of the inflammatory process.
Separately, Mukultin has a great advantage over other medications - it is not addictive, and there are no strong side effects.It should be remembered that instantly, after 1-2 receptions of the drug in question, the results of treatment do not need to wait - Mucaltin has a therapeutic effect only when the active substance is stored in the body.
Note: as a rule, doctors prescribe a course of treatment with Muciltin in 10-15 days.In special cases, this medicine can be taken for 60 consecutive days, but this decision should only be made by a doctor.
Application rules Mukaltina
How to take the drug in question, the treating doctor should tell - there are many individual characteristics. But there are general recommendations:
- Tablets dissolve in the oral cavity until completely dissolved.The dosage should be set by the doctor:
- children under 3 years old - take the prescribed amount 3 times a day;
- children from 3 to 12 years - the prescribed single dose is taken three times a day every 4 hours of the day;
- adults - to take the prescribed amount of the drug you need 4 times a day.
- Daily dose of Mucaltin tablets should be dissolved in 500 ml of warm water and during the day, use this medicine before each meal( you need to drink the entire amount).If you want to use the medicine for children, then the tablets can be dissolved in juice, fruit juice, tea, sweet compote.To completely dissolve the tablets, it is best to crush first.
- A single dose of the drug in question is dissolved in 100 ml of water and drunk in a single dose.For children, the amount of fluid is reduced to 50 ml per session.
Please note: should take Mucaltin for a maximum of 60 minutes before meals, at least 30 minutes in advance.
If it is necessary to treat a child with the drug in question, it is better to dissolve it in water.Mukaltin is not very pleasant, specific, taste - many patients of childhood refuse to drink even dissolved medication.In this case, to improve the taste, honey can be added to the liquid or any jam.
Important! Pregnant women and lactating mothers may take Muciltin only after consulting a doctor.We recommend that you read:
What you need to remember
Although Mukaltin is presented in the article as a safe drug, you need to remember some features of its use.
First, in some cases, the drug under consideration may develop an allergic reaction - itching, irritation, redness of the skin, rashes, indigestion.If this happens, then immediately stop taking Mukultin and seek help from a doctor.
Secondly, Mukaltin is strictly forbidden to use in the following cases:
- diagnosed peptic ulcer of the stomach and duodenum;
- has a history of phenylketonuria;
- , the patient has an individual intolerance or hypersensitivity to the althea root;
- diagnosed thrombosis and thrombophlebitis;
- children under 1 year.
Thirdly, the mucolytic in question can not be taken concurrently with drugs that suppress cough.The result may be an accumulation of phlegm in the lower parts of the respiratory system, and this is fraught with the development of a secondary infection.You can not simultaneously take with Mucaltin any medications containing codeine and ethylmorphine - for example, Glaucin, Oxeladin and others.
Mucaltin is one of the inexpensive and effective medicines that can be used to treat inflammatory, viral and infectious diseases of all parts of the respiratory tract.
Tsygankova Yana Aleksandrovna, medical reviewer, therapist of the highest qualification category