Diet after removal of appendicitis
After any surgical intervention, proper nutrition plays a very important role in the speedy recovery of the patient.Correctly selected menu provides the supply of the organism that survived the operation with useful vitamins and minerals, normalizes the peristalsis of the gastrointestinal tract, triggers metabolic processes and significantly increases the rate of regeneration.
Even in the most difficult cases, when appendicitis was supplemented with peritonitis, the diet significantly helps to facilitate the process of recovery.Table of contents: Features of the postoperative diet Nutrition rules after removal of appendicitis Nutrition in the first days after appendectomy Nutrition from the sixth day after surgery What foods are prohibited?
Features of the post-operative diet
Appendectomy is an operation to remove the appendix of the appendix of the cecum( appendix).After cutting off the appendix, a seam is applied to the cecum.It takes some time for the full healing of the intestine.That is why in the first days of the postoperative period, the food should be liquid and soft, so as not to injure the operated gut.
In addition, the anesthesia used in the operation also affects the intestines.In the postoperative period there is a decrease in intestinal peristalsis and, as a consequence, impaired digestion.All these nuances need to be considered when drawing up the postoperative menu.
In general, the post-operative diet has the following objectives:
- Ensure maximum mechanical and chemical clearance of the operated bowel;
- Correct the metabolic disturbances;
- Provide the body with essential nutrients;
- To increase the body's immune defense, which will contribute to the early healing of the wound.
Diet after removal of the appendix implies a stepwise approach when the menu expands gradually. So, in the first two days the patient is recommended to adhere to the dietary table №0а, on the third or fifth day to switch to the surgical table №1, and from the sixth day on to the diet №2.
Rules for feeding after removal of appendicitis
In order for the diet to be of considerable benefit to the recovering patient, several easily observable rules must be observed:
- Duration of diet is about sixty days.During the entire period of recovery it is recommended to adhere to the selected menu.In those cases when the stage of the inflammatory process was high and required additional treatment, the duration of the diet is automatically extended for another month.
- To return to the usual way of life and nutrition should be gradually, every day introducing one new product a day.If it gets worse, then the added product should be completely eliminated to a more significant improvement in health.
- To successfully recover, you need to regularly remove toxins and toxic substances from the body.For this, the patient should drink as much liquid as possible, the amount of clean water consumed is not less than 2 liters per day.
- It is recommended that regular teas be replaced with herbal teas.Best in this case, a decoction of chamomile, which contains a large number of nutrients and essential oils, which have antiseptic properties, contributes to the healing of damaged tissues and the speedy renewal of lost cells.Pharmacy medicines, intended for treatment and prevention of pathologies of the gastrointestinal tract, will also be positively affected;
- With any diet, it is useful to observe the principle of fractional nutrition: food is taken in small portions, approximately 5-6 times a day.
- Food should not be too hot or cold.
- Vegetables, fruits, fish, meat, or cooked on a special device for a couple, or should be served cooked.Fried foods are strictly prohibited.In addition, salt should be completely eliminated, since it is capable of retaining water in the body.
- Products provoking an increased level of flatulence, completely removed from the diet, because due to the abundance of gas and bloating may dissolve seams or form inflammation.
Important! Diet in appendicitis is selected only by a specialist doctor, taking into account the characteristics of the patient, the nature of the course of the disease and recovery, the presence of concomitant chronic diseases.In the event of a worsening of the condition or the appearance of complications, it is necessary to consult the doctor to correct the diet and menu composition.
Nutrition in the first days after appendectomy
In the first three days after removal of the appendix, doctors are assigned to adhere to the diet table No. 0a.This is the most mechanically and chemically sparing diet, the use of liquid, semi-liquid food is allowed.Food should be boiled or steamed, fried foods are prohibited.At the same time, the food should be warm.
Within twelve hours after the end of the operation, the patient should not eat anything other than water, while drinking water in moderation and in small portions.As a rule, after the operation, the patients themselves do not have any appetite, so such a refraining from food will not be painful.
After twelve hours, it is already possible to give the patient liquid or semi-liquid food. It can be such dishes:
- Black not strong tea in which it is possible to add sugar;
- Decoction of rosehip;
- Berry and fruit jelly, jelly;
- Compote of berries and dried fruits;
- Rice broth;
- Low-fat, light chicken broth.
The first days after the operation are most significant, therefore during this period it is extremely important to observe the diet.Eat small meals, but often - seven to eight times a day. The approximate menu for the first two postoperative days is as follows:
- 9.00 - berry jelly, tea;
- 11.00 -comp;
- 13.00 - low-fat, light chicken broth;
- 15.00 - fruit jelly, decoction of rose hips;
- 17.00 - tea with sugar;
- 19.00 - rice broth;
- 21.00 - decoction of rose hips.
Nutrition on the third or fifth days after surgery
The first days of the diet are very meager in terms of energy value and nutrient content.However, energy is needed for the person to recover.Expansion of the diet by introducing new more calorie dishes is carried out gradually.This is necessary in order to prepare the digestive tract and not to provoke complications.
On the third day after appendectomy, the patient is transferred to diet number 1 surgical . This diet is characterized by introduction to the diet of such dishes as:
- Liquid grated cereals, cooked on water or low-fat meat broth;
- Light soups with cereals;
- Steam soufflé and mashed potatoes prepared from low-fat white meat or fish varieties( boiled meat is passed through a meat grinder to obtain the necessary soft consistency).
- Eggs boiled soft-boiled or in the form of steam omelettes;
- Low-fat cream( 10 percent);
In addition, it is important to comply with the drinking regime and drink up to 2 liters of fluid per day. This can be ordinary water, compote, not strong tea, but by no means carbonated drinks.
The approximate menu for these days is as follows:
- 9.00 - steam omelet from 2 eggs, tea;
- 11.00 - broth of dog rose;
- 13.00 - low-fat broth, puree from boiled fillet, compote;
- 15.00 - soft-boiled egg, fruit jelly, compote;
- 17.00 - broth of dog rose;
- 19.00 - liquid oatmeal cooked on broth, puree from boiled fish;21.00 - tea with sugar.
Power on the sixth day after the operation
On the sixth day after appendectomy, a dietary table number 2 is appointed, which will allow smooth transition to physiological nutrition.The essence of this diet is a moderate bowel spasm, and therefore in the diet you can enter a more solid dishes for consistency. Food should still be divided, 5-6 times a day, consumed food should be warm.Food should be prepared by boiling, baking, quenching, even frying is allowed, but until the crust is formed.
The following dishes allowed at this stage:
- Slightly dried bread, breadcrumbs and biscuits;
- Low-fat meat and fish( you can already eat chopped meat);
- Eggs boiled, steam omelet;
- Low-fat milk products;
- Porridges, macaroni of firm grades;
- Soups on meat, vegetable broth with croup;
- Stewed and boiled vegetables;
- Fruit or berry jelly, jelly.
This power supply must be kept for a few days. The approximate menu for the day with diet number 2 is as follows:
- 9.00 - soft-boiled egg, oatmeal, coffee;
- 13.00 - soup with vermicelli on meat broth, meatballs from low-fat beef, pumpkin puree, broth of wild rose;
- 16.00 - compote of dried fruits;
- 19.00 - cutlet from fish of white varieties, rice porridge, tea;
- 21.00 - a fermented woman.
The length of stay on a similar diet is determined by the doctor.Gradually, the menu expands and in a short time a person will be able to eat in the usual way, while of course it is necessary to avoid harmful foods such as fried, fatty foods, fast food.
What products are prohibited?
Given that after the operation on the intestines are not healed sutures, it is necessary to completely exclude during this period products that enhance fermentation and promote the formation of gases.Also under ban is food, which stimulates gastric secretion.It is better to refrain from eating foods that contain a lot of fiber, because it has an irritant effect on the intestinal wall.
There is a list of products standardized by dietitians. They are categorically forbidden to use throughout the recovery period:
- all kinds of salt and spices;
- mustard and horseradish;
- mayonnaise, ketchup, vinegar, soy sauce and any sauces based on them;Juices in boxes, sodas;
- fatty meat and fish, lard;
- fried foods;
- all types of legumes;Fast food, snacks,
- oily homemade milk and heavy dairy products with the addition of flavor enhancers;
- all types of cheese, as this type of product is very difficult to digest;
- canned food;
- onion and garlic in any form;
Any of the products listed above can cause irritation in the stomach or intestines, cause excessive gasification or inflammation, which will significantly increase the risk of deterioration of the patient's health.It is best to refrain from these foods for about six months, after the operation.
Konev Alexander, the therapist