Are there effective drugs to improve memory?
Jul 06, 2018
How many drugs that improve memory, can a person call?Even men and young people will immediately offer 2-3 means - this is affected by aggressive advertising, which promises not just an improvement in the state of memory, but also the appearance of glimpses of genius.Many mothers start to give similar drugs to their children who are lagging behind in school, some adults, feeling problems with brain work, also go to the doctor and get an appointment for taking such medicines. It is interesting that questions about the advisability of such use of specific drugs and safety should not even arise, because scientists claim that virtually all drugs for improving memory are absolutely ineffective.
The most commonly used memory enhancement is Glycine or Piracetam - these drugs belong to the group of nootropics, which are compounds that can stimulate metabolic processes in the brain. And now let's turn to the science of :
- , numerous studies of Pyracetam did not confirm that it has a beneficial effect on human memory;
- , one small study on Glycine confirmed the use of this drug, but along with this, one must know - Glycine in the West is actively used for the treatment of schizophrenia.
Popular methods of memory improvement
If a person is extremely negative about the pharmacological industry, then in a fit to improve his own memory, he will certainly turn to traditional medicine.Most often, various healers and healers recommend using fish oil, vitamin E, bicarbonate ginseng extract, ginseng and other similar plants in the problem under consideration.Moreover, any medicinal properties of these plants, or the effectiveness of vitamins specifically in the case of the need to improve memory, are not proven!
The following is known from the category "traditional medicine" for the evidence-based medicine listed above:
- bilobate ginkgo extract is excellent for senile dementia;
- Omega-3 polyunsaturated fatty acids( notorious fish oil) are absolutely ineffective for improving memory in healthy older people;
- ginseng( and roots, and leaves of the plant) has a positive effect, but only on cognitive abilities;
- vitamin E and any other biological supplements generally do not show any efficacy.
This name refers to pharmaceutical preparations for improving memory for those with whom it has become worse due to age or a particular disease.These drugs include Donepezil, Rivastigmine and Galantamine.But more recently, these rather complex medicines have been actively used by students during the sessions.In addition, young people have increasingly "improved memory" with drugs from attention deficit disorder( for example, Methylphenidate) and narcolepsy( for example, Modafinil).
Note: listed drugs significantly increase the production of neurotransmitter( norepinephrine, dopamine and others).This, in turn, improves the transmission of signals between nerve cells.
These drugs actually improve memory for a few hours, help to concentrate as much as possible. But everyone needs to know that they have two dangerous drawbacks:
- Under the influence of many medications described above, a person may be in an inadequate condition.He becomes rude, can poke and even hit anyone who will prevent him from engaging in the chosen case.
- All medicines were originally developed for sick people, and nobody knows how they will affect the brain in the long run in healthy young people.
In case of obvious deterioration of memory, you need to contact a specialist who will suggest effective ways to solve the problem.And at a young age, without special medical indicators, in general, no drugs to improve memory are not needed - the expert will give recommendations on the implementation of special exercises.
Tsygankova Yana Aleksandrovna, medical reviewer, therapist of the highest qualification category