Molluscum contagiosum: causes, symptoms, treatment
Epithelioma is infectious, epithelial mollusk, warty clam - that's how it is called a contaginous mollusc, which is classified as a viral disease and is benign in nature.Symptoms of this disease are usually pronounced, diagnosis is not difficult for the specialist, and treatment can be carried out with the help of official medicine, and folk remedies.Table of contents: Contagion pathogens Contagiosum mollusk - symptoms Diagnosis of molluscum contagiosum Treatment of molluscum contagiosum
Pathways of infection
A DNA containing virus that belongs to a group containing a smallpox virus causes the development of a molluscum contagiosum.Scientists suggest that only a person is a natural carrier of the virus, but it is precisely known that the path of infection with the molluscum contagiosum is contact.
It should be noted that the threat poses not only an already infected person, but also household items, towels, bedding, clothes, toys.Moreover, the DNA-containing virus of the molluscum contagiosum affects people of different age groups.The most extensive spread of the disease in question is recorded in childhood, if the child visits educational institutions - kindergartens, schools and any children's groups, in which even an epidemic of molluscum contagiosum can occur.
If the localization of rashes in this disease in adults is in the genital area, then the sexual way of infection is quite real.
Molluscum contagiosum - symptoms
The incubation period of the disease under consideration is variable and can last from 2 weeks to 6 months.As a rule, during this period an already infected person does not notice any changes in his health.
After the incubation period, characteristic skin eruptions appear - this will be the first and perhaps only prominent symptom of the molluscum contagiosum. Typical features of such rashes:
- are in the form of hemispherical nodes;
- the size of each papule corresponds to the size of the pinhead;
- the surface of the papules is shiny and smooth;
- the consistency of the rashes is dense, the color is yellowish-pink or corpulent.
As the disease develops, the eruptions change their appearance:
- the size of the papules increases and can reach the size of a pea;
- in the center of the papule a depression is formed;
- , when pressing on papules from the groove, a whitish mass of a semi-liquid consistency is released.
Very rarely, rashes with molluscum contagiosum merge, resulting in spots with a diameter of 2-3 cm.
. Note: no deterioration of health in the form of fever, itching and burning of the skin, weakness or headache, even withExtensive rashes are not noted.
Localized rashes with molluscum contagiosum most often in the forehead, neck and eyelids, can occur on the back of the hands, external genitals, inner thighs.Very rarely physicians fix rashes on the soles( soles) and palms.
Diagnosis of molluscum contagiosum
Very often rashes on the body are taken for chickenpox or warts - the doctor must differentiate these pathologies, after which it will be possible to start treatment for molluscum contagiosum.
You can diagnose the disease in question and yourself, at least as a child, parents can see for themselves that there is no chickenpox.To do this, you need to press the edges of the papule and inspect the discharge from the depression - with a molluscum contagiosum they always have a dense white color and a semi-liquid consistency.
It is noteworthy that more often molluscum contagiosum develops in case of reduced immunity - a specialist will necessarily appoint a full-fledged examination of the patient to reveal the main cause of such a violation in the work of the immune system.
Treatment of molluscum contagiosum
In most cases, the rashes disappear on their own for 3-8 months.That's why doctors most often do not prescribe any medications, if the patient's general health allows. Surgical removal of papules is quite often performed:
- several punctures are made on the surface of the papule;
- acute curette scraping the entire contents of the papule;
- papule treated with iodine;
- for 2-3 weeks the area of the removed papule needs to be wiped daily with camphor alcohol.
Note: , even if surgical removal of papules in the plural, there are no scars after the healing.
By the way, doctors even allow the removal of papules by patients themselves at home.The only condition is the observance of absolute sterility.In no case should infection be allowed to enter the opened papule - the deterioration of the condition and the development of a purulent inflammatory process can not be avoided.
Laser therapy and cryodestruction
In addition to scraping each papule, doctors can offer the patient to undergo a more modern treatment - laser therapy. The advantages of this treatment are as follows:
- procedures are absolutely painless;
- laser completely burns the papule, without affecting the healthy skin;
- has practically no contraindications;
- after treatment there is no scarring.
Laser treatment is performed on an outpatient basis, does not require hospitalization and requires a course of treatment to remove all nodules.
As for cryodestruction, it is worth mentioning the following features of the procedure:
- is exposed to liquid nitrogen directly on the causative agent of the molluscum contagiosum;
- freezing of papules and all seeded areas - the spread of rashes is prevented;
- does not cause any injuries to the skin during the procedure;
- after treatment on the spot of papules, scars and scars are not formed.
Cryodestruction does not imply the patient's registration in a medical institution - the procedures are carried out on an outpatient basis.In addition, there will not be any changes in the habitual rhythm of the patient's life either.
Note: surgical removal of papules with molluscum contagiosum is not too painful procedure, but the sensations are completely unpleasant.Therefore, cryodestruction and laser therapy can be an excellent method of treating the disease in childhood.
In the context of treatment of molluscum contagiosum, a specialist can prescribe and receive various medications.The choice of specific medications depends on several factors: how long the disease lasts, in what state is the overall health, the age of the patient, and so on.
As a rule, all patients diagnosed with molluscum contagiosum are prescribed the course of taking immuno-fortifying drugs, antiviral agents may be selected.
Please note: is by no means independent of the choice of medicines - this should be done by the doctor after the examination of the patient.
Treatment of the contagionous mollusk with folk remedies
There are several folk recipes that will help to get rid of rashes faster in the present illness.But their use must be agreed with the attending physician - and the diagnosis must be made correctly, and the examinations conducted.
The most effective treatment for the considered disease from the category "traditional medicine":
- Grind several cloves of garlic( in a blender or on a fine grater), add 30-50 g of butter( soft) and mix thoroughly until a mixture is obtained.Apply the product to affected areas of the skin 2 times a day.Note that garlic can cause burning and even irritation in healthy areas of the skin, so try to use this tool very carefully.
- Grass turn and grind - make 100 grams of raw material 300 ml of water, cook for 3 minutes.Then the broth should be infused for 60-90 minutes.Only then can it be filtered through a strainer or several layers of gauze.Use the decoction of the string as a lotion and to wipe the papules.There are no restrictions on the number of procedures per day.
- Prepare a concentrated solution of potassium permanganate - it should be dark purple.In it, moisten the cotton swab and apply( cauterize) to the papule.Note that after using potassium permanganate, burns can occur on the skin - be extremely careful, treat the papule specifically, affecting it pointwise.
You can also use some plants that help in a short time to get rid of papules.For example, juice from the bird cherry leaves( it is squeezed out and stored in a cool dark place) perfectly copes with this task - it moistens the cotton disc and processes the skin after removing the nodules.Moreover, this remedy can be used for a long period, up to the complete healing of all wounds.
Very often it is recommended to use juice of celandine for the treatment of molluscum contagiosum - it really very well cauterizes papules, promotes rapid disposal of characteristic rashes.But you need to know that the juice of celandine refers to poisonous substances - if its use is incompetent, the treatment will bring additional suffering to the patient. To avoid this, remember the following three rules:
- must first make sure that the patient does not have allergies;
- apply the juice of celandine pointwise to a specific papule;
- to carry out the procedure in gloves.
You can prepare the juice of celandine yourself, but you can buy alcoholic tincture from this plant in the pharmacy - this is probably a reasonable solution.
It is considered to be quite effective and collection of medicinal plants - it includes yarrow herb, calendula flowers, juniper berries, birch buds, eucalyptus leaves and pine buds.To prepare the collection, take 3 tablespoons of each component, mix thoroughly.Now you need to take a tablespoon of the finished mixture, pour 300 ml of steep boiling water and insist 20-30 minutes.Use a decoction of the herbal collection to rub the rashes and ingestion 100 ml each morning and evening.
Features of treatment of molluscum contagiosum on the genitals
If the characteristic eruptions have appeared in the area of the external genitalia, then it is necessary to undergo a specific treatment.First, the doctor will have to find out if there is any sexual infection.Secondly, there is no question of any surgical intervention.Thirdly, the most appropriate for the treatment of molluscum contagiosum with localization on the external genital organs is to choose laser therapy or cryodestruction.
In the case of traditional medicine in this case, you can give only one recommendation - conduct hygienic procedures( washing) using a decoction of brood or herb collection, the recipes of which are indicated above.
For more information on molluscum contagiosum in children, see the short video review by Dr. Komarovsky:
Prevention of molluscum contagiosum
To prevent infection or spread of the disease in question, the following recommendations should be adhered to:
- After visiting the sauna, sauna, swimming pool, gym carefully monitor the condition of the skin, and when any papules promptly seek help from doctors.
- Avoid contact with people who have already been diagnosed with molluscum contagiosum.If this happened in the family, the patient should provide a separate towel, provide him with personal hygienic supplies, dishes, bed linen.
- Avoid random( casual) sex.
- Monitor your own immune system and, if necessary, take a course of vitamin therapy.
Contagious mollusks - the disease is quite dangerous and requires close attention from medical professionals.You should not look for recipes yourself, consult your grandmothers and friends - the treatment of molluscum contagiosum is long, therefore, the earlier the diagnosis is made and the professional treatment is prescribed, the faster the patient will become absolutely healthy.
Tsygankova Yana Aleksandrovna, medical reviewer, therapist of the highest qualification category