Purulent angina in a child and an adult: treatment at home
Mar 16, 2018
Purulent angina is a fairly common disease that is diagnosed in both adults and children.For such a disease, a purulent deposit appears on the tonsils.
Despite the fact that the symptoms of purulent angina are always intense, many do not lead a full-fledged treatment, which leads to the transition of the acute form of the disease in question into a chronic one.Table of contents: Causes of purulent sore throat Symptoms of purulent sore throat Treatment of purulent sore throat
Causes of purulent sore throat
This disease occurs only in cases of severe inflammation of the tonsils, which occurs due to various pathogens, in particular streptococci.
An important factor in the development of purulent sore throat is also gum disease, caries - these pathologies by default imply the presence in the human body of a certain resource of pathogenic microorganisms.By the way, it is for this reason that the development of the disease in question can provoke an untreated, neglected rhinitis( runny nose).
Symptoms of purulent sore throat
Symptoms of purulent sore throat are so intense that the patient simply can not ignore them.That is why the diagnosis of the disease in question is not difficult and occurs at the initial stage of development of pathology.
Symptoms of purulent sore throat include:
- Increased body temperature.The indices can approach 39-40 degrees, keep for a long time, are poorly reduced by antipyretic drugs.Especially severe fever is noted in the development of purulent angina in children.
- Rapidly developing dryness in the mouth, which is followed by an unpleasant perspiration, light cough and intense pain.In some cases, dryness and cough absent, immediately there is a sore throat when swallowing.
- There is edema of the tonsils, they become red, there are yellow and white tubercles on their surface - these are pustules.
- The patient experiences a pronounced general weakness, headaches of a different nature, chills.In childhood, purulent angina may be accompanied by a lack of appetite( this is due to severe pain in the throat), nausea and vomiting, diarrhea.And in adult patients, disruption of the digestive system is manifested by constipation.
- As the disease develops, there are pains in the muscles and joints( sensation of aches), in non-intensive pains in the anatomical position of the heart and tachycardia can be noted in adult patients.
- Lymph nodes increase and become painful.Moreover, complaints of pain not only during palpation of the lymph nodes, but also when turning / tilting the head.
At an early stage of the disease, the symptoms of purulent sore throat often resemble the signs of infectious mononucleosis and it is very important to differentiate these two diseases in order to find an effective and competent treatment.For example, in case of infectious mononucleosis, in no case should the patient take antibiotics( antibiotics), but the disease in question can not be treated without them. Differentiation of these two diseases is carried out by conducting laboratory blood tests:
- general analysis;
- serological reactions.
With infectious mononucleosis, there will be lymphocytosis, the presence of mononuclear leukocytes in the blood.
Treatment of purulent sore throat
The main treatment of the disease in question is the prescription of antibacterial drugs - they must suppress bacteriological flora and prevent the development of one of the most dangerous complications of purulent sore throat - rheumatism. Of course, before starting treatment, you need to make sure there is no allergy to antibacterial drugs, and if this is confirmed, the following remedies are prescribed:
- First-line antibiotics.These include penicillins semi-synthetic or inhibitor-resistant, which have a wide spectrum of action - are effective against staphylococci and streptococci.The course of such penicillin preparations should be at least 10 days.Most often for treatment of purulent tonsillitis appoint Amoxicillin, Ecoclave or Amoxiclav.
- Second-line antibiotics.Implied the appointment of macrolides - Sumamed, Clacid, Hemomycin, Azitrox, Josamycin.The course of taking macrolides is 5 days, since these drugs have the ability to accumulate in the body - this course will provide an impact on the pathogenic bacteria for 10 days.
Note: The efficacy of selected antibiotic therapy is determined in the first 72 hours of treatment of purulent sore throat.If the doctor does not notice improvement in well-being and a decrease in body temperature in the patient, then he must correct the appointments, pick up another antibiotic.
Treatment of purulent sore throat with antibiotics should be complete, interrupting the course of taking prescribed medications is by no means possible, since it is possible the emergence of drug resistance of bacteria to the antibiotic that is taken, which will make it impotent in the re-development of the disease in question.In addition, interrupted treatment of purulent angina with antibiotics is often a provoking factor in the development of serious complications.
The patient should comply with bed rest, in a weakened state, he can not go out into the street - this can lead to poor health.
Antiallergic( antihistamines) and antipyretic drugs
To reduce the intensity of symptoms of purulent sore throat, the patient should take Nurofen, Ibuklin or Paracetamol - non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs that can reduce body temperature and reduce the severity of sore throat.In the development of the inflammation of the tonsils, an allergic component is often involved to exclude it, the patient needs to take any antihistamine drug - for example, Cetrin, Claritin, Loratadin and others.
With fever and intoxication of the body, dehydration can occur, avoiding this and accelerating the withdrawal of toxins will help abundant drinking.Optimum choice will be milk with the addition of baking soda( 1/3 teaspoon per 200 ml of milk) or mineral water without gas, phytoteas are a good option - for example, with chamomile, rosehip or sage.
The temperature of the used liquid should be comfortable - not hot, but not cold, the drink should not increase the pain in the throat, you need to protect the inflamed surface.
Nutrition of the patient
With purulent angina, the patient most often refuses food, and the children even try not to drink water at all.It is not right!It is necessary to choose a sparing diet for the patient - it can be soups, cereals, dairy products, and in general any liquid / ground food, which is easy to swallow.Recommended to read:
This is, first and foremost, the rinsing of the throat. The following tools can be used to perform this procedure:
- "Seawater".On a glass of hot water you need to put 1 teaspoon baking soda, as much salt and add 5 drops of iodine.Gargle with this remedy should be at least 5 times a day.
- Beet juice.This drug has therapeutic properties - for example, it is able to have an anti-inflammatory effect, to remove swelling from the tonsils.To prepare the rinse aid, mix 200 ml of fresh beetroot juice and 20 ml of apple cider vinegar.Gargle should be rinsed every 3 hours.
- Lemon juice.It is necessary to mix 1/3 cup of lemon juice with 2/3 glasses of clean water and gargle 3-4 times a day.This tool will help reduce the intensity of pain when swallowing.
- Herbal infusion number 1. You must mix the flowers of chamomile, calendula and eucalyptus leaves in dry form.Then take 1 tablespoon of the finished herbal collection, pour 1 cup( about 300 ml) of boiling water.The drug is infused for 30-40 minutes, filtered.Gargle with this remedy every 2-3 hours.
- Herbal infusion No. 2. In a dry and shredded form, St. John's wort, calendula and chamomile flowers are mixed.300 ml of boiling water you need to pour 1 tablespoon of dry herbal collection and insist for an hour, drain.Gargle with purulent sore throat no less than 4 times a day.
- Herbal collection number 3. In equal proportions, plantain leaves, marigold flowers, herb wormwood are mixed.2 tablespoons of the collection are poured into 2 glasses of hot water, the mixture is infused with a water bath( without boiling!) For half an hour, then it is cooled and filtered.Gargle every 2 hours.
- Lugol solution.This is a unique disinfecting drug that has antibacterial and disinfectant effects.Sucking their throats with purulent sore throat, you can quickly get rid of pain, difficulty in swallowing, stop the progression of the inflammatory process.
- Furacilin.This drug is a powerful antiseptic.To obtain a solution, you need to dissolve 2 tablets of furacilin in 200 ml of warm water.Gargle should be 2-3 times a day.
- Chlorophyllipt.The solution is sold in pharmacies in ready-made form.This means can rinse your throat every hour.
Note: for treatment of purulent sore throat was really effective and relief came in a short time, it is necessary to adhere to complex therapy.That is, when the first symptoms of the disease appear, you need to take antibiotics, and carry out symptomatic treatment, and actively gargle.
Possible complications of
Doctors knowingly insist on exact observance of all rules of purulent sore throat treatment - the complications of this disease can really be serious. Here are just some of them:
- rheumatic myocarditis, turning into rheumatic heart disease;
- otitis media;
- inflammation of the lymph nodes;
- acute paratonzillitis;
- pharyngeal abscess;
- kidney disease;
Purulent sore throat is not only unpleasant, but also serious enough.But to be afraid of it definitely is not worth it - modern medicine can offer effective treatment that will lead to complete recovery and help to avoid the development of complications.
Tsygankova Yana Aleksandrovna, medical reviewer, therapeutist of the highest qualification category