Why do my hands go numb at night
Many people are familiar with the unpleasant feeling when you wake up at night with pain in your hand, you start to wiggle your fingers and brush and there is an intense tingling, which eventually passes, but leaves behind an uncomfortable sensation in the upper limb - this is what is called numbness.
The main cause of this condition is called a circulatory disorder in the upper limbs, but there are several factors that can provoke numbness of hands at night.
On which pillow we sleep
The wrong pillow is the most common cause of numbness in the arms at night.Usually people prefer large pillows - on them and sleep gently, and put such under your head while watching TV or reading a book you can.But it is the large pillow that promotes strong arching of the cervical vertebrae, which disrupts the blood supply of nerves located in the cervical spine.But it is they who "answer" for the normal functioning of the upper limbs.
To fix the situation and get rid of numbness of the hands at night is quite simple - you just need to change the pillow.It is advisable to purchase either a small pillow, or a special orthopedic pillow.
- under the neck of the sleeper is a cushion that holds the cervical vertebrae in a normal position;
- behind the roller is a small depression - the head in this position does not provoke excessive tension in the spine and in the whole body;
- orthopedic pillow ensures the normal functioning of the blood supply system of the body, including the upper limbs.
As soon as a change of the pillow is implemented, the problems of numbness of hands at night will disappear.
Pose during sleep
Even if the pillow for sleep is matched correctly, you can not drowsy at night due to the incorrect position of the sleeper.First of all, it rushes to lovers to rest at night with arms thrown back over their heads - nerves and blood vessels are pinched, which provokes a violation of blood circulation in the upper limbs.Another nuance - some like to sleep on their sides, lifting one hand up and tilting her head.This situation also provokes a lack of blood supply to the nerves of the cervical spine, which leads to numbness of the hand.
What you need to do in this case: you need to teach your body to sleep in another position - you will not be able to sleep at night if the person sleeps on his back with his arms stretched along the trunk, on his side with his hands in his face, on his stomach.As soon as the pose is changed during sleep, the hands will stop immediately.
It is worth knowing that the uncomfortable clothing can lead to numbness of the hands during night rest - tight, with pronounced seams, with tight cuffs.For the same reason, doctors strongly recommend removing for the night a wristwatch, decorative bracelets.
What diseases can lead to numbness of hands at night
If the pillow is properly matched, pajamas do not constrain the body and the pose during sleep is literate, but the hands are still numb at night, then it is worth to consult specialists and undergo a complete examination -States are diseases.
Possible causes of numbness of hands at night:
- Carpal tunnel syndrome( tunnel syndrome).What happens: between the tendons of the muscles and the bones of the wrist the median nerve is squeezed, and the result is a numbness of the fingers of the hand, accompanied by intense pain.Most often carpal tunnel syndrome is diagnosed in people whose professional activities are associated with regular / constant flexion / extension of the hand( for example, artists, violinists).
- Osteochondrosis.Nemet hands at night can and against the background of osteochondrosis, if this pathological process is localized in the cervical spine.Moreover, the mechanism of the development of the problem is identical to that which occurs when resting on a large pillow or in an incorrect posture: the roots of the nerve endings are pinched and practically not supplied with blood, which leads to impaired functionality of the spinal roots.Recognize the osteochondrosis of the cervical spine is easy by the presence of a crunch in the neck with the turn of the head, pain in the neck and the periodically arising headaches of unexplained etiology.
- Circulatory disturbances of a chronic nature.This condition can develop against a background of many diseases - for example, hypertension, coronary heart disease, diabetes, anemia and others.How to explain the mechanism of development of the state in question in this case?At the increased content of glucose in the blood there is destruction, a pathological change in the structure of the walls of the vessels, which leads to a violation of the blood supply.But with heart disease, the pumping function of the main organ suffers - the blood no longer fully fills the blood vessels.
In addition, dumb hands at night can with hypovitaminosis( lack of vitamin B), and inflammatory diseases of the nerves, and against the background of degenerative changes in blood vessels and nerves.
In any case, the true cause of numbness in the hands at night can be established only by the doctor after the examination of the patient - it will not be possible to diagnose the diagnosis by himself.Do not ignore the syndrome in question - it can indicate serious health problems.
Tsygankova Yana Aleksandrovna, medical reviewer, therapeutist of the highest qualification category