How to treat sinusitis in the home
Mar 18, 2018
Maxillary sinusitis is an inflammatory process that occurs in the sinuses of the nose that are located in the upper part of the face.It occurs, as a rule, against prolonged sinusitis and rhinitis, can be provoked by carious teeth, is extremely rare as a result of ENT diseases, allergic reactions and malignant tumors.Table of contents: Causes of sinusitis Symptoms of genyantritis When to contact a doctor How to treat sinusitis at home
Reasons for sinusitisRecommended reading:
The immediate cause of the development of the inflammatory process in question is swelling of the mucosa of the maxillary sinuses,Which occurs between the nasal passages and sinuses. But the following factors can provoke this phenomenon:
- is a protracted rhinitis that does not undergo effective treatment;
- numerous tooth decay;
- injury to the nose;
- spread of infection through the blood;
- inflammation in the oral cavity - for example, periodontitis.
Symptoms of sinusitis
They are always pronounced, therefore it is possible to diagnose the inflammatory process in the maxillary sinuses of the nose, even without laboratory and instrumental examination.
- Pain syndrome.He has a localization on the side where the inflamed maxillary sinus is.If the inflammatory process proceeds in a chronic form, the pain will be blunt and aching, if an acute sinusitis develops, the pain will be sharp and intense.Most often, patients complain of the presence of pressing pain in the forehead and eyes.
- Unpleasant sensations.This refers to the feeling of opening the face in the places where the maxillary sinuses are located, which is strengthened by tilting, sharp movement of the head.A very important sign of sinusitis is the constant presence of an unpleasant odor in the nose, but it manifests itself only in the chronic form of the inflammatory process.
- Elevated body temperature.This is a conditional sign of maxillary sinusitis, because it is not noted in every case.If the sinusitis proceeds in chronic form, the patient will complain about a periodic increase in body temperature to subfebrile indicators( within 37-37, 5 degrees), but with acute sinusitis hyperthermia develops to very high rates.
- Nasal congestion.The patient can not breathe freely with the nose, the yellow-green substance will be allocated from the nasal passages, but in some cases there are no excretions-this means that the contents of the inflamed maxillary sinuses are very dense.
- General malaise.The patient is disturbed by sleep, which leads to the development of the syndrome of chronic fatigue, irritability and weakness.
When to Call a Doctor
All of the above symptoms of the inflammatory process in the maxillary sinuses can also indicate the development of a common cold. Therefore, it is necessary to clearly know what deviations from the general clinical picture are the reason for contacting the doctor:
- the near-nasal region begins to ache, a feeling of bursting appears;
- with a slight tapping on the forehead and face area under the eyes there is pain;
- appears clearly localized pain in the eyes;
- general condition worsens despite taking all medications prescribed by the doctor;
- the headache becomes more intense.
A doctor can only diagnose a patient's complaints - the symptoms of the inflammatory process in the maxillary sinuses are too specific.But he will definitely prescribe an x-ray examination of the sinuses of the nose - this will help determine the degree of development of pathology and prescribe adequate treatment.In addition, it will be necessary to take crops from the nose - in the laboratory will be able to identify the causative agent of the disease.
How to treat sinusitis at home
First of all you need to remember - sinusitis can not be fully cured solely by folk methods and means from healers.First, you need to eliminate the true cause of sinusitis - for example, cure carious teeth, undergo treatment for infection in the body and so on.Secondly, sinusitis is considered to be an inflammatory process, so only powerful medications can destroy pathogens that provoke inflammation( usually antibiotics).Thirdly, in some cases, the method of puncture holes, which connect the nasal passages and maxillary sinuses - only it will be possible to ensure a normal departure of thick, purulent mucus.
But if the attending physician has already performed the basic treatment and has given permission for treatment at home, then do not ignore his recommendations.All methods of treatment of sinusitis at home will accelerate the recovery of the body and the stabilization of its functional processes.
Nasal rinsing with sea salt solution
This procedure will be very effective at an early stage of sinusitis development - in most cases, washing helps dispense with the appointment of powerful, aggressive medications. To treat this method correctly, remember the following rules:
- Do not put a lot of salt in any way.It is usually recommended to make a solution from 1 teaspoonful( or even a dining room) of a spoonful of salt to a glass of water - this is a big mistake that can lead to a burn of the nasal mucosa.It is enough to make the solution so that it tastes slightly salty.
- You should carefully mix the salt in the water - even a microscopic particle of salt can damage the nasal mucosa.The best option is to prepare a solution of sea salt and allow it to settle, then strain.
- Water should in no case be cold - an average of 40 degrees would be enough.
- During the procedure, you can not draw water with your nose - it must flow independently into one nostril and flow out of the other.
The solution should be prepared as follows:
- for adults - a teaspoon of sea salt for half a liter of warm water;
- for children - a teaspoon of sea salt per liter of warm water.
Note: procedure for washing the nose with a solution of sea salt can be carried out for children from 2 years of age.But you need to clearly calculate the proportions of the preparation of the remedy - this will help prevent burns of the nasal mucosa.
To improve the effect of the procedure under consideration, 2 drops of iodine and ½ teaspoons of baking soda can be added to the sea salt solution - this formulation is allowed only for adults.
Useful properties of tuya oil are so high that the use of this remedy for the treatment of sinusitis gives the first positive results after one or two procedures - the patient can breathe freely almost freely.
Useful properties of tuya oil:
- antiseptic - the agent can adversely affect microorganisms and viruses that triggered the development of the inflammatory process;
- strengthening - oil of thuya helps to quickly restore and strengthen immunity, normalizes the condition of the nasal mucosa;
- anti-edema - inhalations with thuja oil help to ease the breathing of the patient with sinusitis and at the same time serve as prevention of adenoid outgrowth in children and polyps in adults;
- antiviral - stops the development of infection, prevents the appearance of meningitis( the main complication of sinusitis).
Thuya oil can be used as part of a comprehensive treatment against sinusitis, but only with the permission of the attending physician.How to apply tuya oil for sinusitis:
- After washing the nose with a solution of sea salt, you need to drip 2 drops of thuya oil into each nostril.Such treatment should last at least 6 weeks, the instillation procedures should be 3 per day.
- Instill the oil of thuja every day for 15 days, increasing the number of drops per day.Bury it three times a day, and the maximum allowable number of drops for one instillation - 8 per nostril, then you need to reduce their number daily.
- Inhalations with tuya oil - do once a day after washing the nose with a solution of sea salt.
Oil, honey and soda
There is one proven method of treating sinusitis, which helps prevent puncture.Of course, before using this method, one should consult a doctor in charge - it is possible that the state of health and the degree of development of the inflammatory process require immediate surgical intervention. If "time suffers", then do it according to the following scheme:
- You need to take one teaspoon of salt, honey and refined oil and mix everything thoroughly.
- In the finished mixture, dip a cotton swab and carefully insert it into the nasal passage( nostril).
- Now you need to treat on the side where the stick in the nostril is missing, and stay in that position for 20 minutes.
- Then do everything exactly and with the other nostril.
Note: during the procedure, the patient will experience quite unpleasant sensations - severe burning, pain.It is necessary to suffer, because through a maximum of 5 such procedures the inflammatory process will be stopped, moreover, a relapse can happen very soon.
The resulting mixture can be stored in the refrigerator, but before use it should be slightly heated - let it stand for 2-3 hours at room temperature.The procedure must be carried out once a day.
Cyclamen against sinusitis
This is perhaps the most effective tool for inflammation of the maxillary sinuses, but not all procedures can withstand it.The fact is that the juice of the cyclamen causes severe burning, a feeling of squeezing and intense pain.But it is necessary to suffer, if there is a desire to completely clean the maxillary sinuses from the contents.By the way, after instillation of the cyclamen juice into the nose, the mucus accumulated in the maxillary sinuses with impurities of pus comes out in very large quantities - literally, per glass for the procedure.
Please note: cyclamen juice against sinusitis should in no case be used by people who have an anamnesis in an anamnesis.Cyclamen is a powerful irritant, which can lead to anaphylactic shock, Quinck's swelling and a swift lethal outcome.Contraindicated cyclamen juice and children.
5 effective tools
There are 5 less aggressive, but quite effective, funds from the category of "traditional medicine" that can be used to treat sinusitis.It is only necessary to strictly observe the proportions when preparing funds.
What will help with genyantritis:
- Root of horseradish.It is rubbed on a fine grater( you can grind it in a blender) in such a quantity that the result is 1/3 of the glass.To it add a lemon juice received from 3 citrus - it turns out a semi-liquid gruel.You need to use this remedy for half a teaspoon, strictly in the mornings and 20 minutes before meals.The course of treatment is 2 weeks, then a long break is made and repeated again.This remedy perfectly helps with chronic sinusitis, therefore it is recommended to perform such treatment twice a year - for example, in the spring and autumn, when recurrences / exacerbations of chronic diseases are recorded most often.
- Sea buckthorn oil.It can be dripped into the nostrils in its pure form instead of the usual drops from the common cold - 2 drops in each nasal passage two or three times a day.You can use sea buckthorn oil and for inhalation - 10 drops of oil per 1 liter of boiling water.
- Propolis.It will take an alcoholic tincture of propolis( 20%, sold in pharmacies) and vegetable oil - these two components must be mixed in a 1: 1 ratio.If the house has an aqueous solution of propolis, then it is diluted with water in a proportion of 1: 3.Bury the nose with any of these propellant-based drugs 2-3 times a day until complete recovery.
- Bay leaf.It will be necessary to prepare the broth - 3 large sheets put in a pan, pour water so that it covers the laurel leaves and put on fire.As soon as the agent boils( actively), you need to remove it from the fire.Next - we take a clean cloth, dip into the broth from the laurel leaves and apply to the bridge of the nose and the frontal part of the head.From above you can wrap a patient with a towel or put a blanket on him, a blanket.Keep the compress until it cools.This procedure is best done at night - the patient should "steamed" and immediately lie under the blanket, fall asleep.The course of treatment is usually 6 days.
- Kalanchoe.This plant is, probably, in every home - it's too common.But the juice from its leaves can get rid of the inflammatory process in the maxillary sinuses only at an early stage of development.It is necessary only every 3 hours to instill the Kalanchoe juice in the nasal passages.There will be a series of sneezing, which will serve the excretion of mucus from the maxillary sinuses.
Sinusitis is a serious enough disease that can lead to the development of complications.But if you contact the doctor in time for help, go through a course of therapy prescribed by a specialist, then recovery from sinusitis and the final disposal of inflammation will only take time and patience.Even at home, you can treat sinusitis.
Tsygankova Yana Aleksandrovna, medical reviewer, therapeutist of the highest qualification category