Mar 18, 2018
The lymphatic system protects the body from pathogens and other foreign agents.The protective function is in particular carried out by the lymph nodes.They are inherently filters, which prevent the further spread of microorganisms through the body.Inflammation of the lymph nodes is called lymphadenitis.It is quite common to inguinal lymphadenitis.Table of contents: Inguinal lymph nodes Causes of lymphadenitis Symptoms of inguinal lymphadenitis Treatment of inguinal lymphadenitis
Inguinal lymph nodes
Inguinal lymph nodes are located subcutaneously in the inguinal ligament.They collect all the lymph from the legs, the perineum, the genitals.
In the inguinal area, three groups of lymph nodes are distinguished:
- Upper group - due to this group of lymph nodes, lymph drainage is carried out from the buttocks and the lower abdominal wall;
- Middle - the outflow of lymph from the perineum, external genitalia, anus;
- Lower - the outflow from the lower limbs.
Causes of lymphadenitis
The cause of inguinal lymphadenitis is often the ingress of microorganisms into the inguinal lymph nodes, which causes inflammation.There are primary and secondary inguinal lymphadenitis.The primary is formed by the ingestion of the pathogenic microorganism directly into the lymph node with damage to the skin and subcutaneous tissue, which is rare.
Often, people are confronted with secondary lymphadenitis, when the microorganism enters the inguinal lymph node from an existing inflammatory focus.
The causes of inguinal lymphadenitis are:
- Venereal diseases( syphilis, gonorrhea, chlamydia).
- Systemic viral infections( mononucleosis, adenovirus and cytomegalovirus infections, HIV).
- Inflammatory processes in the genital organs( vulvitis, bartholinitis, colpitis, balanoposthitis, urethritis).
- Inflammatory processes localized in the area of the skin of the legs and perineum( boils, phlegmon and abscesses, trophic ulcers, erysipelas, infected wounds, cuts).
- Cat scratch disease( synonym for feliniosis) - develops after scratching or biting by a cat.The disease causes rickettsia, which live in a cat's body.
- Metastasis of tumors of the pelvic organs, perineum and legs.
- Tumor of lymphoid tissue - lymphoma, lymphogranulomatosis.
Symptoms of the disease
Normally, the lymph nodes of the inguinal region are not probed and are not visualized externally. The following signs indicate the development of lymphadenitis:
- An increase in inguinal lymph nodes that appear to look like cones in the groin.
- Inflamed lymph nodes acquire a tight-elastic consistency.The solid, "woody" density of the lymph nodes testifies to the malignant nature of the lesion.
- Soreness on palpation and even at rest.
- Enlarged lymph nodes can be mobile and not soldered to the surrounding tissue - this is a sign of an infectious origin of lymphadenitis.Lymph nodes can also be dense, immobile, this is observed with a malignant tumor or metastases.
- Discomfort, pain in the groin while walking.
This is how uncomplicated lymphadenitis occurs.With the development of purulent lymphadenitis, the clinical picture of the disease becomes more pronounced.The skin over the lymph node becomes red, warm to the touch.When you touch the lymph node there is pain.Strong tenderness in the groin is noted when trying to make a movement, because of which a person is forced to limit his mobility.
The outcome of purulent lymphadenitis can be a spontaneous dissection of the purulent cavity with the outflow of pus outward through the fistula or the development of phlegmon.Phlegmon develops due to melting of the lymph node and the underlying tissues.The development of this process will be evidenced by the appearance in the groin of a painful area of densification without pronounced boundaries, an increase in body temperature, a loss of appetite, an ache in the body, and weakness.
Treatment of inguinal lymphadenitis
Lymphadenitis is not an independent diagnosis, but only a symptom of some pathological condition.So, if inguinal lymphadenitis appeared on the background of colpitis, the gynecologist finds the cause of this condition and prescribes treatment.Against the background of treatment, lymphadenitis passes.
In the case of purulent lymphadenitis, or even more so, phlegmon is already beginning to actively treat.If there is a purulent process, then you need to take antibiotics.Anti-inflammatory drugs( NSAIDs) are also prescribed.
Doctors recommend avoiding the treatment of lymphadenitis with all sorts of folk remedies.It can do much harm.So, warming up the lymph nodes will contribute to an even greater development of the inflammatory process, which will aggravate the course of the disease.
In case of complicated lymphadenitis resort to surgery.The surgeon makes local anesthesia, then dissects the tissues.The doctor carefully removes pus, excised the destroyed tissue.The formed cavity is treated with antiseptic solutions.Then, drainage is installed in the wound, and the cut tissues are sutured.Through the drainage, an outflow of inflammatory exudate is carried out, and if necessary, antiseptics are introduced through it.In the case of necrosis of the lymph node, the surgeon makes his complete removal.
Grigorova Valeria, medical reviewer