Endometriosis: Symptoms, Diagnosis, Treatment Methods
Endometriosis in medicine refers to the pathological condition of the woman's reproductive system, in which tissue proliferation occurs, characteristic of the inner walls of the uterus, outside the hollow organ.According to statistics, this disease is most often diagnosed in women who are in reproductive age from 25 to 50 years.Table of contents: Symptoms of endometriosis Classification Diagnostic measures Methods of treatment Recommended reading:
Symptoms of endometriosis
Endometrial cells( inner side of the uterine wall) can grow far beyond the uterus - sometimes they settle on the peritoneum and urinaryA bladder, and on the intestines.Very rarely, endometriosis is asymptomatic - it is rather an exception.The main symptom of the pathological process under consideration is pain syndrome - it can be of a variable nature, characterized by constancy and accompanied by a feeling of pressure in the lower abdomen.In endometriosis of the uterus( adenomyosis), a characteristic symptom is dysmenorrhea.
Note: the endometrium "responds" for the monthly bleeding, so wherever cells of this tissue enter, the patient will experience short-term bleeding with a clear periodicity.For example, with the proliferation of cells in the intestine, blood may appear during the act of defecation, and if the bladder is involved in the pathological process, a urine output with an admixture of blood will be recorded each month.Very often women notice pain during intercourse - this is also considered a sign of endometriosis.
Classification of endometriosis is performed in accordance with the area of localization of the foci of the endometrium.There are internal( adenomyosis) and external genital, extraperitoneal and peritoneal extragenital kinds of endometriosis. The following organs can be affected in endometriosis:
More information on the classification of endometriosis, possible causes, complications and methods of treatment is given by the specialist:
For an accurate diagnosis, it is not enough to receive complaints of the patient - the above symptomsCan also testify to the development of inflammatory diseases, and chronic infection of the genitals. The gynecologist is obliged to perform the following diagnostic measures:
- Colposcopy.Using a special optical device, the doctor examines the vagina and cervix of the woman, reveals the visible pathological changes in the tissues.
- Ultrasound examination.It allows not only to identify the lesion directly, but also to monitor the pathology condition during the therapeutic / surgical treatment.
- Magnetic resonance imaging.The most reliable method of diagnosing endometriosis - according to statistics with its help, the pathological process under consideration is determined in 96% of cases.
- Laparoscopy.This method of diagnosis will give a complete picture of the clinical picture of endometriosis: what is the size of the focus, how many such lesions are there, precise localization and level of activity.
Note: relatively recently, gynecologists began to assign a blood test to tumor markers - with the existing endometriosis, the normative indices will be significantly overestimated.
Methods of treatment
It is recognized by medicine that surgical intervention is the most effective method of stopping the pathological process.During the surgery, doctors remove all the foci and restore the normal functioning of the organs of the reproductive system.The most safe, practical and affordable method of surgical treatment is laparoscopy. It has several main advantages over the standard cavitary operation:
- the rehabilitation period is reduced to the possible minimum;
- restores reproductive function;
- significantly reduces the intensity of pain during sexual intercourse.
Depending on the stage of development of the examined pathological process, the gynecologist will select the treatment.This may be a single surgical operation, and it may be necessary not only for surgical intervention, but also for long-term use of individually selected hormone therapy drugs.
This therapy should begin in the first menstrual cycle that began after surgery. The doctor can prescribe the following medications:
- Danazol - duration of admission is 6 months, after a month of constant intake of menstruation may stop, but immediately after the treatment is canceled, the cycle is restored.
- Medroxyprogesterone acetate - taken at least 3 consecutive months, has side effects in the form of a significant increase in body weight.
- Nemestran - taken only 2 times a week in an individually recommended dosage, after 2 weeks of admission pain syndrome disappears.Of the side effects can be identified acne, seborrhea and weight gain.
- Zoladex - is administered intradermally once in 26 days.It is recommended to make at least 3 injections for the course of treatment, but after the first one the woman will feel considerable relief in terms of the pain syndrome.
Traditional medicine and endometriosis
Note: recipes from the category of traditional medicine should in no case be the only method of treatment of endometriosis - this pathological process requires complex therapy.Some broths of herbs help relieve pain and reduce the overall manifestations of the pathological condition( weakness, drowsiness, apathy). These include:
- Broth from the leaves of plantain.It can be prepared from fresh and / or dry leaves.Take 1 tablespoon of dry raw materials or 10 pieces of fresh leaves and brew in 300 ml in a water bath( boil for at least 15 minutes).Then the broth is infused for an hour, filtered and taken daily for 3 tablespoons before meals( 3-4 times a day).Decoction of grass, bovine uterus.It is necessary to take 50 grams of dry raw materials, boil in 300 ml of water( 5 minutes) and insist for 2-3 hours.A decoction of 1 glass is taken three times a day for 15 minutes before meals.
- Decoction of the saber.It is prepared according to the principle of a decoction of the borage, 1 glass is taken 10 minutes before meals.
Important: : It is strictly forbidden to take decoctions from medicinal plants without first consulting a treating gynecologist.In addition, periodically the broths need to be changed - this will help avoid accustoming to long-term therapy.
Endometriosis is a pathological process that can lead to female infertility.But if the disease is diagnosed in a timely manner and a competent treatment is carried out, then the percentage of complete restoration of the childbearing function will be about 86. You can get detailed information about the symptoms, modern methods of endometriosis treatment by viewing this video review:
Tsygankova Yana Aleksandrovna, medical reviewer, therapistThe highest qualification category.