Overview of effective cough suppressants for adults
On the pharmacological market there is a mass of medicines that are intended for the treatment of cough, but each of them has individual qualitative characteristics and has a selective effect.Therefore, you need to know what medications should be taken at certain stages of cough development - this will help to get rid of an unpleasant and even dangerous syndrome faster. Table of contents: Classification of cough preparations Mucolytic drugs for coughing Expectorants for coughing Cough antitussives for adults Recommended reading:
Classification of cough drugsRecommended:
In general, all medications, Used for coughing, are divided into three groups according to their action:
- mucolytic - promote liquefaction of sputum;
- expectorant - stimulate expectoration of accumulated sputum;
- antitussive - depress the cough.
Mucolytic drugs for coughing
Admission of the considered group of medicines ensures the transition of sputum from viscous to liquid state - the peptide bonds of protein and disulfide bonds of mucopolysaccharides break.
- prevents the falling off of long-range elements of the system;
- activates the work of glands that produce a mucous secret;
- normalizes the ciliary epithelium of the bronchi.
Note: mucolytic drugs are prescribed for dry coughing - this facilitates its transfer to the moist( productive).Simultaneously with mucolytic drugs, patients are prescribed antibiotics, bronchodilators and / or expectorants.
There are a number of sputum liquids that are in great demand - they are effective and relatively inexpensive. These include:
- Bromhexine.The substance stimulates the formation of pulmonary surfactant.The duration of bromhexine treatment is determined on an individual basis by the attending physician, but usually varies within 4-30 days.The drug is taken orally 1-2 tablets or 2-3 teaspoons of syrup per day.Bromhexine is contained in the formulation:
- Bromhexine 8 drops;
- Bromhexine 4 Berlin-Chemie.
- Acetylcysteine.It liquefies phlegm and promotes its rapid excretion from the body.In addition, this substance has also expectorant and anti-inflammatory effects.Doctors recommend using it inside right after meals at 0, 6 g per day( can be divided into several receptions, you can take it once).Often, acetylcysteine is used for inhalation of 3 ml of a 20% solution of 3-4 times a day for 15 minutes.You can enter the substance and intravenously or intramuscularly - 3 ml of 10% solution once a day.Acetylcysteine is included in the following preparations:
- tablets ATSTS;
- injection for injection of acysteine;
- tablets Acetastad;
- powder Cofacin;
- Ambroxol.According to its structure and effects on the body, this substance is similar to bromhexine.In pharmacies, you can buy the drug in a tablet form( take one tablet three times a day), in the form of a syrup( the daily dose is 30 ml 10% of the drug) and in capsules( 1 capsule three times a day).Ambroxol is a part of the following medicines:
- Carbocysteine.By its action is similar to acetylcysteine.Doctors recommend taking it 1-2 capsules 2-3 times a day or 1 tablespoon 5% syrup also 2-3 times a day.Carbocysteine is a part of the following medicines:
There are also combined medicines on the market that have mucolytic effects - many doctors and patients consider them to be more effective. These include:
- Bronchosan is a drop containing bromhexine, melissa, peppermint, eucalyptus, anise, mother, menthol and fennel;
- Milistan is a cough syrup that contains ambroxol and carbocysteine;
- Miliston hot tea - there is a combination of ambroxol and ascorbic acid;
- Salbroxol is a tablet containing ambroxol and salbutamol.
Expectorant medicines for cough
The preparations in this group are acting as follows: they strengthen the activity of the ciliated epithelium, increase the activity of undulating movements of bronchioles.This is what triggers the transition of sputum from the lower parts of the respiratory system to the upper ones and facilitates the withdrawal of mucus from the body.In addition, expectorants have an effect on the secretion of glands that secrete mucus - it becomes larger, and the sputum structure will be more liquid.
Preparations with expectorant action should be taken only with a productive( wet cough), they are part of the complex therapy of virtually all respiratory diseases accompanied by a cough.Most often, preparations are made from the group under consideration on the basis of plant components.
The most effective and sought-after expectorants are:
- Altai root.In pharmacies you can find syrup( Altemix, Althea root syrup, Alteika), tablets( Mukaltin) and powder.Doctors recommend taking 1 tablespoon of powder 5 times a day or 1 tablespoon of syrup 3 times a day.If Mukaltin tablets are prescribed, then they should be taken 1-2 tablets 3-4 times a day before meals.The duration of the treatment course for the althea root should not exceed 14 days.In addition to these funds, the root of the althaea is included in the nursing fee:
- breast collection number 1 - althea root, mother-and-stepmother leaves, herbaceous ore;
- collection thoracic number 3 - root of the althaea, licorice root, sage leaves, pine buds and anise fruits.
To prepare the infusion, you need to take 1 tablespoon of breastfeed and pour all 200 ml of steep boiling water.The drug is infused for 20 minutes, then it is filtered and taken 100 ml 2 times a day immediately after meals.
- Grass of thermopsis of lanceolate.This remedy is part of the Mixture of cough for adults and Cough Tablets( this is the name for these drugs), there is also a powder of thermopsis grass in pharmacies.Take recommended for 0, 5 g of active ingredient 3 times a day.
- Fruits of anise.Produced in the form of raw materials in a crushed form, are part of Anisovoy oil and Nashatirno-anisovyh drops.The infusion from the raw material is prepared according to the same recipe as the breastfeeding with the althea root, it should be taken 50 ml 3-4 times a day.Anise oil should be used in the amount of a maximum of 3 drops per reception, Ammonia-anise drops - 15 drops per reception.
Note: anise fruits and aniseed oil are part of the tea "Bronchicum" - it is an expectorant.
- Thymus and ivy.These herbal components are part of the Bronchipret drops( take 50 drops three times a day), tablets( 1 tablet 2-3 times a day before meals), Pertussina( 1 tablespoon 3 times a day) and syrup(Take 5 ml three times a day).Ivy is a part of Gedelix syrup and effervescent tablets Prospan.Thyme is part of the drug Bronchostop.
- Licorice root.In pharmacies you can find syrups, solution and powder from the roots of licorice.The same plant component is part of the breast collection number 2, which contains both leaves of plantain, and leaves of mother-and-stepmother.But most often when coughing as an expectorant take syrup of licorice root - 1 tablespoon 3-4 times a day immediately after eating.Must necessarily syrup of licorice root wash down with plenty of clean water( not drinks, tea and juices!).
- Leaves of plantain.Produced in a variety of forms: oral fluid, filter bags and conventional shredded raw materials in boxes, syrup( Herbion).To prepare the infusion from the raw material, you must adhere to the classic recipe: 1 tablespoon per 200 ml of steep boiling water, 20 minutes insist means, then filtered and taken on a tablespoon 5-7 times a day.
In addition to the listed medicinal plants, the shoots of marsh rosemary, leaves of mother-and-stepmother, herb of oregano, roots of elecampane and cyanosis and many others possess an expectorant effect.As a rule, they are sold in pharmacies in the form of ground raw materials, broths are prepared on their basis according to the standard scheme - 1 tablespoon per cup of boiling water.
Doctors can prescribe and combined drugs with expectorant action. These include:
- Stoptussin phyto - contains extracts of plantain and thyme;
- Dr. Mom - syrup, pastilles, which contain licorice root, extracts of ginger, basil, turmeric and aloe;
- Equal balm - contains extracts of needles and eucalypts;
- Pectolvan herbal remedy is characterized by a complex composition based on alcoholic tinctures from medicinal plants.
Cough antitussives for adults
These are medicines that have a depressing effect on coughing - they should be taken with an unproductive cough( dry, without separating the sputum).Most often, antitussives are prescribed for diseases of the respiratory tract of chronic course, with laryngitis and whooping cough.
Antitussives are divided into two groups:
- Narcotic analgesics - modern medicine they are excluded from the list of drugs that are on sale.Only in certain cases can be used a single narcotic analgesic for the manufacture of antitussive drugs - codeine.It is a part of the Codterpine and Terpincode tablets.
- Non-narcotic analgesics - do not cause addiction, but very effectively relieve cough.These include:
- Glauvent - a drug based on glaucine, taken at 0, 5 g twice daily after meals;
- Paxeladine - based on oxeladine, is taken at 20 mg three times a day, but short course - maximum 4 days after the appearance of cough;
- Sinecod, Codesin - based on butamirate, it is recommended to take 1 tablet or 1 spoon of syrup 2-3 times a day.
In addition to the listed drugs that are used to treat cough, there are many more.Do not forget that even the most harmless, at first glance, medications can cause serious side effects and complications in violation of daily dosage and duration of admission.Therefore, you should not risk your own health and life - when choosing a medicine for cough, you should strictly follow the recommendations of your doctor.
Tsygankova Yana Aleksandrovna, medical reviewer, therapeutist of the highest qualification category