Echinacea: medicinal properties, indications and contraindications for use
Mar 28, 2018
Important: decoctions of Echinacea have a general strengthening effect and normalize blood pressure.
Recipes for the use of Echinacea preparations for various diseases
- A general strengthening decoction from the leaves of Echinacea. Take 1 tsp.Dried ground vegetable substrate and pour 200 ml of boiling water.Place the container in a water bath for 10 minutes.Liquid cool and filter.The broth is recommended to drink half a cup three times a day before meals.
- Alcohol tincture of Echinacea in depressive states. Take 20 grams of dried crushed rhizomes and pour 200 ml of medicinal alcohol( 70% solution).To insist in the place protected from light within day, then strain the ready tincture.It is recommended to take the drug for 20-30 drops 3 times during the day after eating.
- Tea for the prevention and treatment of colds and flu. Take 1 tsp.Sliced dry roots, the same number of leaves and several Echinacea flowers.Pour 0.5 liters of boiling water and insist under the lid for 30-40 minutes.For therapeutic purposes, it is advisable to take 200 ml of herbal tea 3 times a day, and for prevention( strengthening immunity) - 1 time.
- Tincture for the treatment of kidney and bladder diseases . Take 20 g of the aboveground parts of the plant and fill them with a glass of ordinary vodka or an independently prepared 40% ethanol solution.Infuse for 2-3 weeks in a place shielded from sunlight, periodically shaking the container.Ready to filter and take 3 times a day before meals for 20 drops.The course of treatment according to the following scheme is shown: take 10 days for infusion, then make a 3-day break and again drink the drug for 10 days.
The intake of tincture increases the number of leukocytes and prevents the propagation of pathogenic microorganisms.In the period of seasonal colds, the drug activates the immune system.Spirituous tincture of Echinacea can also be applied externally, topically for treating the skin with furuncles and wounds to reduce inflammation and accelerate tissue regeneration.
Please note: for external use( lotions, compresses and rinses) it is advisable to prepare the preparation at the rate of 40 drops of alcohol tincture( 70% ethanol) per 100 ml of physiological solution.
Contraindications to the use of Echinacea preparations
Most people tolerate the treatment with Echinacea purpurea drugs.Allergic reactions are rare in patients.
Contraindications to the use of this plant are:
- individual hypersensitivity;
- Multiple Sclerosis;
- acute angina;
- increased nervous excitability;
- systemic lupus erythematosus;
- rheumatoid arthritis;
Important: should not take drugs for more than a month!Large doses can trigger dyspeptic disorders and sleep disorders.
Echinacea for Pregnancy and Breastfeeding
It is recommended that women who are carrying a baby, as well as nursing mothers, should refrain from taking Echinacea.The data on the safety of the plant is not enough, although it is precisely established that it does not lead to malformations of the fetus.The issue of increasing the probability of spontaneous abortion( miscarriage) remains controversial.
Some experts hold the opinion that Echinacea during pregnancy is a good alternative to antibiotics and synthetic immunomodulators.In some cases, the doctor may prescribe a herbal preparation for external use with purulent inflammation of the skin.
Echinacea for children
Pediatricians recommend giving infants who have reached the age of 12, tincture, previously diluted with water 1: 3.A single dose for children and adolescents is 3-10 drops( depending on the age), and the frequency of reception is 2 times during the day.Tincture is an excellent way to strengthen the immunity of the child.Babies( over 2 years) should take syrup or tablets.
Many doctors consider Echinacea to be one of the most important means for complex treatment of ARI in children, since active substances stimulate the production of macrophages and neutrophils, increasing the body's resistance to infections.
Echinacea in tablets should be washed down with sufficient volume of boiled water, and for babies the drug must be crushed and mixed with a small amount of tea or juice.Syrup to children give 1-2 tsp.Before meals 2-3 times a day.
Plisov Vladimir, physician-phyto-therapeutist