Treatment of heartburn during pregnancy
Mar 29, 2018
Heartburn in pregnancy is a common occurrence, and many expectant mothers, exhausted by the sense of discomfort, would like to know how to get rid of it. "
.Heartburn is an irritation of the mucosa of the esophagus, caused by throwing into it the contents of the stomach.Table of contents: Heartburn during pregnancy: normal or pathological?Characteristic signs Why should heartburn be treated?Safety rules Medicines for heartburn What can I drink from a pregnant heartburn?Additional recommendations How to properly sleep
Heartburn during pregnancy: normal or pathological?
During the waiting period of the baby, signs of heartburn can be observed even in women who have not previously encountered this problem.In early pregnancy, the cause of this condition, according to doctors, is the changes in the hormonal background and the excessive production of progesterone, which relaxes smooth muscles, including in the gastrointestinal tract.
Note: heartburn can act as one of the manifestations of toxicosis, over time this problem goes by itself.
In later terms, shortly before the expected delivery, attacks of heartburn again begin to torment future mummy.The fact is that the woman's uterus increases in size, exerting a strong pressure on the stomach area, which leads to the release of its contents into the esophagus.
In addition, the following factors can cause heartburn symptoms in women in an interesting position:
- incorrectly balanced diet;
- sphincter weakness;
- disorders in the functioning of the gastrointestinal tract;
- slopes and motor activity after eating;
- abuse of fatty and fried foods;
- the habit of drinking food with water during the meal;Overeating.
Important ! If attacks of severe heartburn persecute you after every meal, be sure to report this problem to your doctor and take appropriate therapy!
Characteristic features of
How can a future mother recognize heartburn in the early stages of a pathological process?In what cases is medical care required?
Physicians distinguish the following clinical manifestations characteristic of heartburn while waiting for a baby :
- burning and discomfort localized in the chest area;
- sourish taste in the oral cavity;
- flatulence, bloating;
- heaviness in the abdomen, with a tendency to increase after eating;
- difficulty in swallowing;
- possible cough syndrome;
- excessive saliva production;
- attacks of nausea.
The appearance of the above listed signs indicates the presence of heartburn, in which the expectant mother may need professional medical help!
Why should heartburn be treated?
Despite the fact that heartburn does not pose a serious threat to the health or life of the patient, as well as to her future baby, this disease gives a pregnant woman a lot of discomfort and discomfort.Constant attacks adversely affect the nervous system of the mother, which will certainly affect the child.
In addition, the constant presence of hydrochloric acid in the esophagus region gradually erodes its mucous membranes, which leads to serious disturbances in the activity of the gastrointestinal tract.They will show up even after the baby's birth.Among the possible undesirable consequences: peptic ulcer, precancerous state, etc.
Note: With constant heartburn, a woman should be able to ease her condition using methods that are safe for the child.
Important! A pregnant woman should be especially attentive to her health and take extra care with any kind of medication.
It is for this reason to use any medications for heartburn, even seemingly most harmless, without prior consultation with the doctor during pregnancy is strictly prohibited!
Effective and safe treatment of heartburn during the waiting period of the baby consists in the use of a number of medications recommended by the attending physician and observance of certain nutrition principles.
Medications for Heartburn
Important! Most of the medications used to combat the manifestations of heartburn, the future mothers are strictly contraindicated!During pregnancy, only drugs belonging to the pharmacological group of antacids can be used to treat this disease.
The principle of action of these drugs is the ability of their active substances to connect with the acid content of the gastric cavity, neutralize it and have a soothing and enveloping effect on the mucous esophageal membranes.
Note: , in contrast to a number of other medications, preparations of the antacid group do not penetrate the bloodstream and have an exclusively local effect, and therefore do not pose any danger to the future baby .
The only drawback of this type of medicine is their inability to eliminate the causes of the disease and prevent the development of new attacks of heartburn.
However, any drugs, even those belonging to the above-described group, should be prescribed only by the attending physician, strictly on an individual basis. The specialist will determine the optimal dosage and duration of the treatment course for the expectant mother!
In addition, drugs to combat heartburn can be used only to provide symptomatic treatment, that is, to eliminate the painful signs and symptoms of an attack of heartburn.
Since antacids can cause constipation, it is recommended that pregnant women suffering from such a problem prefer drugs that include a component such as magnesium, which is the one that has a mild laxative effect.
Note: should not use other medicines for several hours while taking antacid preparations, as they can significantly reduce the effectiveness of therapy in controlling heartburn.
What can I drink from a pregnant heartburn?
We suggest that you familiarize yourself with the brief characteristics of the preparations against heartburn allowed by the doctors to be used by future mothers:
- Almagel is available in the form of a suspension and has pronounced analgesic properties.In case of an attack of heartburn, one spoon is taken.Acts start within half an hour.
- Renni - tablets for resorption.Include in its composition magnesium, which helps prevent the appearance of constipation in expectant mothers.In case of signs characteristic of heartburn, 1 Rennie tablet is chewed or absorbed.The maximum daily dose should not be more than 10 tablets.
- Gastal - pregnant women are prescribed only if there are exceptional indications and the lack of effectiveness of other medicines.It takes 1-2 tablets to stop the beginning of an attack of heartburn.The maximum daily dosage should not exceed 8 tablets.
- Gaviscon is a complex and very effective remedy for fighting heartburn.Drink in the amount of 2 to 4 tablets, after eating.This remedy is used not more than 3 times during the day.
- Talcid - tablets that include a component such as hydrotacite, which makes them effective and safe in fighting heartburn in expectant mothers.Talcid is taken on a single pill, with the first signs of heartburn.The maximum daily dose should not exceed 8 tablets.
- Omeprazole - is prescribed once a day, the course is no more than five days in a row.With prolonged use, it can cause unwanted reactions such as nausea, headaches and diarrhea.
Important ! To find the most safe preparation for relief of heartburn and calculate its optimal daily dosage for a future mother, individual consultation with a gastroenterologist specialist will help!Additional recommendations
In order to combat the manifestations of heartburn was as successful and effective as possible, experts advise the future mother to observe the following recommendations:
- Do not overeat, because with excessive filling of the stomach, the production of hydrochloric acid are activated.
- Exclude from the daily ration products that can trigger an attack of heartburn.
- Unsubscribe from the late dinner.The last meal should be no later than three hours before bedtime.
- Avoid slopes and sudden movements after eating.
- Drink as much water and milk as possible with the appearance of characteristic, painful symptoms.
- Sleep on a slightly raised cushion.
- Wear loose clothing and comfortable underwear that does not squeeze the stomach.
- Eat often, but in small, divided portions.
- Drink a lot.The daily water norm for a woman in a position of at least 2.5 liters.
- Avoid the use of antispasmodics.
How to sleep
It turns out that the principles of proper sleep can also significantly reduce the occurrence of heartburn in expectant mothers, especially in late pregnancy.
Therefore, it is necessary to adhere to certain rules:
- Do not go to rest immediately after eating, because in the horizontal position there is a higher probability of casting gastric contents into the esophagus, which triggers the occurrence of attacks of heartburn.It is better to walk a little or do household chores( just remember that it is also not advisable to bend down after a meal).
- Place a few small pillows under your head.Such an elevated position during sleep will reduce the risk of heartburn.
- Sleep on the left side, this not only prevents heartburn, but also ensures the maximum supply of oxygen and nutrients to the baby's future.Heartburn in pregnancy is an extremely unpleasant problem, poisoning the expectant mother with a happy waiting period for the baby. How to get rid of heartburn during pregnancy?To reduce seizures and alleviate the general condition will help the drugs recommended by the doctor - antacids, which have a soft, local effect.Proper, balanced nutrition and adherence to preventive measures will significantly reduce the risk of heartburn during pregnancy.
Chumachenko Olga, medical reviewer