Abdominal Obesity: Causes, Diagnosis, Treatment Methods
Abdominal obesity is a very dangerous type of obesity, which not only contributes to serious health problems, but also significantly increases the risk of losing a person's life.Abdominal obesity can also be called upper, visceral, or android obesity.
With abdominal obesity, the silhouette of a person resembles the shape of an apple, because in this case, excess fatty tissue, as a rule, accumulates in the abdominal area and in the upper part of the trunk.Accumulated fat mass surrounds all the internal organs of a person, squeezing them, thereby not allowing the body to function normally as a whole.With abdominal obesity, the outflow of lymph and blood circulation in such important organs as the heart, pancreas, liver and lungs is significantly worsened.A person with visceral obesity can hardly tolerate any physical activity, since his heart has to work in extreme conditions. According to statistics, the majority of those suffering from this type of obesity are men.Contents: danger visceral obesity symptomatology abdominal obesity Causes abdominal obesity Methods of treating abdominal obesity
danger visceral obesity
When visceral obesity significantly increases the risk of such clinical diseases as:
So, the risk of developing ischemia of the heart is increased 35 times, cancer 15 times, and stroke 56 times.
Symptomatic of abdominal obesity
As mentioned above, with abdominal obesity, the fat tissue is distributed mainly in the upper half of the trunk.Therefore, to the outward signs indicating abdominal obesity, one can attribute external changes in the silhouette of a person. Typically, a similar diagnosis can be made to a man if his waist exceeds 94 cm, and a woman with a waist circumference of more than 80 cm. At the same time, the body mass index of a person can remain within normal limits.
Signs indicating visceral obesity also include the presence of concomitant diseases, among which the most common is
- type 2 diabetes mellitus;
- insulin resistance;
- arterial hypertension;
- Disorders of the exchange of uric acid.
Another symptom of abdominal obesity is the chronic stress of the patient's body, which means that internal organs have to work in an enhanced mode.This is due to the fact that the visceral fat accumulated in the body performs the functions of the endocrine organ that produces the stress hormone cortisol.
It is also important to know that abdominal fat stimulates the production of a hormone of inflammation - interleukin-6, because of which even a minor disease( for example, a mild form of ARVI) can trigger the development of a serious illness.
In men with upper obesity, the number of female sex hormones increases significantly, which in turn negatively affects potency, and sometimes causes infertility .On the female reproductive system, excess visceral fat is also reflected in a negative way, especially if its mass is more than 40% higher than normal.
All the organs and systems of the body suffer from excessive amounts of hormones: cholesterol accumulates in the vessels;
- The digestive tract does not cope with the processing of food volumes entering it;
- of a man are tormented by constant problems with constipation and flatulence;
- often people with upper obesity suffer from nocturnal apnea, accompanied by respiratory arrest.
Reasons for abdominal obesity
In 90% of cases, the cause of abdominal obesity is that the body is not able to fully consume energy, which comes in the form of kilocalories along with food. Thus, if a person produces low physical activity and at the same time overeats, he inevitably faces the problem of obesity.
The main factors provoking abdominal obesity include:
- genetic predisposition to problems in the enzymatic system;
- is a psychogenic overeating, that is overeating in stressful situations;
- violation of the rules of rational nutrition: the prevalence of fatty, fried, sweet and salty foods in the diet, as well as excessive consumption of alcoholic beverages;
- problems in the endocrine system( for example, hypothyroidism, Itenko-Cushing syndrome, etc.);
- changes in physiological character( eg, pregnancy or menopause);
- chronic fatigue, constant stress, taking hormonal or psychotropic drugs.
Methods for treatment of abdominal obesity
The main component of positive treatment for abdominal obesity is the correct psychological mood of the patient.A person should strive not only to improve his appearance, but also to eliminate the existing health problems of .Often people who are obese of any type can not cope with the problem on their own, they just need psychological support.After all, it is necessary to change the attitude not only to the culture of nutrition, but also to the way of life in general.
The first and very important step on the way to getting rid of excess fat accumulation is the introduction of a hypocaloric diet.However, it is important to set real goals that a person is able to achieve.
Basic nutrition rules that should be introduced at a new stage in their lives:
- The daily volume of kilocalories entering the body should decrease by 300-500 kcal.
- The consumption of animal fats and refined carbohydrates should be reduced to a minimum.
- Protein and fiber should be used in normal amounts.
- All consumed products must be steamed, boiled, baked or eaten raw, but not fried.
- You need to eat at least five times a day in small portions.
- The consumption of salt and spices should be minimized.
The second, but no less important step in the treatment of abdominal obesity is increased physical activity that will help accelerate metabolic processes and start the process of weight loss.
The correct psychological mood, adequate hypocaloric diet in parallel with good physical activity give a positive result in almost 95% of cases.However, there are situations when for 12 or more weeks from a hypocaloric diet there is no effect.In such cases, patients are prescribed medication correction of obesity.
In the treatment of abdominal obesity, most doctors use the following drugs:
- Drugs that reduce hunger - Regenon, Fepranon, Desopimon and Mirapont.With their use, the feeling of saturation comes faster, but they have a serious minus - they are addictive;
- fat-mobilizing preparations - Adiposin;
- antidepressants - Fluoxetine.
Among the safest and non-addictive drugs, there are such tools as Meridia, which is used to accelerate the saturation process and Xenical, which reduces the absorption of fats in the intestine.It is these drugs doctors in most cases give their preference.
In the process of treatment of abdominal obesity, sometimes resort to surgical operations to reduce the volume of the stomach or remove part of the intestine.But it is worth noting that the long-term effect of such interventions has not yet been studied.
Evtushenko Oleg, endocrinologist