How to get rid of insomnia
Sleep disorder, manifested by a disturbance in the process of falling asleep or a superficial, often interrupted sleep, is called insomnia.Treatment of this condition for many people becomes an absolute necessity, because, not being able to sleep properly, they suffer from fatigue, daytime sleepiness, irritability, they have reduced efficiency and concentration of attention.
Sleep is the most important part of the life of every person, for it there are special centers in the brain located in the hypothalamus.A healthy sleep includes two main phases: slow and fast.While we sleep, our body restores its own physical and mental resources spent during the day.In childhood, growth hormone is produced during sleep.According to statistics, 35% of the world's population has sleep disorders, so the problem of how to get rid of insomnia is more urgent than ever.Table of contents:
Why there is insomniaWe recommend to read:
In fact, insomnia is nothing more than a malfunction in the work of a person's biological clock.
- wrong sleep hygiene - an uncomfortable bed and pillow, the presence of extraneous noise, etc.;
- psychological excitement, stress, anxiety and other disorders of psycho-emotional background;
- neurosis, depression and other mental disorders;
- disease of the brain( concussion, infectious lesions, etc.);
- any physical illness, especially of an infectious nature;
- time zone change;
- snoring, sleep apnea;
- restless legs syndrome;
- reception of stimulant drugs and medications.
Please note! There are scientific studies proving that predisposition to insomnia can be inherited.
Insomnia: Treatment of
Sleep disorder can be a symptom of a variety of diseases, therefore, before proceeding with treatment, it is necessary to consult a physician and undergo a screening.
Here are some useful recommendations that will help to speed up the process of falling asleep in the evening and provide quality rest:
- regularly engage in physical activity;
- avoid overeating at night;
- avoid the use of any tonic in the afternoon;
- create a comfortable atmosphere in the bedroom;
- dedicate ten to fifteen minutes of relaxing ritual before going to sleep - listen to calm music, take a bath, etc.;
- do not take sleeping pills without medical advice.
Practice shows that in approximately 70% of cases a person can find a way how to get rid of insomnia without resorting to medication.The first thing to do is to properly organize the day's routine and follow it clearly.Get up and lie down at the same time to adjust the biological clock to the desired mode.
Special attention should be paid to the bedroom.It should have good sound insulation, thick curtains on the windows and, of course, a comfortable bed.People who suffer from osteochondrosis and other disorders of the musculoskeletal system are advised to purchase an orthopedic mattress and pillow to ensure the correct position of the body during the night rest.Before going to bed, the bedroom must be ventilated.
In the evening it will be easier to fall asleep if you give up daytime sleep even with pronounced sleepiness.It is recommended to take food at least three hours before going to bed, and do not eat a lot of fluids at night.Another important point is relaxation.Remove stress will help listening to relaxing music, aromatherapy, auto-training, warm bath, walk in the fresh air.If these funds are not enough, you can turn to folk and medicament methods of treating insomnia.
Medications for insomnia
Medications used in the treatment of insomnia should be selected only by a qualified doctor, taking into account the patient's contraindications.Medicines must be taken in strict accordance with medical prescriptions, without increasing dosage alone.
If insomnia acts as a symptom of a disease, treatment of the underlying pathology is prescribed, during which the doctor can prescribe sleeping pills.First, a minimum dose is prescribed, since hypnotics quickly become addictive.The higher the dosage of the drug, the higher the risk of undesirable side effects.
Among the medicines for insomnia, you can select strong prescription drugs, as well as drugs sold in pharmacies without a prescription.
After the examination, the doctor sometimes appoints:
- calming preparations based on phenobarbital, depressing the activity of the nervous system;
- medications to improve blood circulation in the brain based on the extract of Ginkgo Biloba;
- adaptogenic preparations;
- antihistamines( diphenhydramine, donormyl, etc.);
- barbiturates are antidepressants given to patients in whom insomnia is caused by depressive conditions;
- tranquilizers( phenazepam) - soothe the nervous system, cause drowsiness in a high dosage;
- benzodiazepines, which help accelerate the process of falling asleep and improve the quality of sleep.The advantages of such drugs include a short-term effect, completely passing by morning.
Important ! Medications for insomnia can be taken only as directed by a doctor.Sleeping drugs are addictive and many side effects.They contribute to a strong sleepiness, so when you receive them, you must stop driving the next morning.
There are also herbal remedies for insomnia, for example, motherwort, oregano, hops.Contraindications to their reception is the period of pregnancy and lactation.
Physiotherapeutic treatment of insomnia
The fight against insomnia can include physiotherapeutic procedures:
- a relaxing massage that allows to normalize blood circulation, relieve tension and anxiety;
- adoption of warm relaxing baths with sea salt, lavender, pine needles, iodine-bromine and pearl baths;
- acupuncture - the introduction of special needles in special acupuncture points on the body, stimulating certain processes in the body;
- electricon - the application of weak low-frequency electrical impulses.When treating insomnia with this procedure, electrodes are applied to the patient's eyelids that transmit current to the brain through the vessels;
- Magnetotherapy - use of a low-frequency magnetic field on the neck area;
- darsonvalization of the collar zone and head;
- galvanotherapy - application of DC low voltage to the collar zone;
- electrophoresis with sedative medications - administration of a drug substance using a dc current of low power.
It is important to know the ! Physiotherapy is much milder than soporific drugs.Such methods will not cause addiction, but can effectively affect the root cause of the pathological condition.
Insomnia: folk remedies
In folk medicine, there is a whole arsenal of means for insomnia, the most effective of which are:
- tincture of sleep-grass - a dozen crushed fresh flowers pour half a liter of vodka and insist for one and a half weeks.Take two teaspoons before going to bed;
- infusion of valerian - teaspoon of herbs brew in a glass of boiling water, take 100 g immediately before going to bed;
- tea from a mixture of valerian, mint, chopped chicory root, cones of hops and honey - the raw material is boiled and insisted for a day, drink an hour before bedtime;
- collection of mint, valerian root, motherwort and hop cones - 10 liters.Raw materials are poured with boiling water, they heat for a quarter of an hour in a water bath.Filtered infusion drink half the glass at night;
- soothing infusion can be prepared from thyme, motherwort and calendula - a tablespoon of raw material is diluted with a glass of water, boiled for ten minutes.In a warm infusion it is recommended to add a little honey and use at night;
- infusion of hawthorn fruit - two tablespoons of dry shredded fruit pour 400 g of boiling water.Use infusion should be three meals a half an hour before meals.Such a folk remedy is especially recommended for the treatment of insomnia for people with cardiovascular pathologies.
Treatment of insomnia with alternative medicine methods
Alternative medicine can also offer quite effective tools for the treatment of sleep disorders.
The main methods are:
- homeopathic treatment - depending on the severity of sleep disorders, the use of homeopathic medicines that are prescribed in a low dosage can be recommended.Such remedies are considered safe, as they are not addictive and do not have undesirable side effects;
Please note: the effectiveness of homeopathic remedies is not recognized as official medicine!
- autosuggestion - there is a whole complex of special exercises for auto-training that promote relaxation.Familiar to many sheep accounts is one of the varieties of auto-suggestion;
- light hypnosis for insomnia - another unconventional method of treatment, which allows to eliminate subconscious mechanisms of sleep disturbance.
One of the techniques of self-hypnosis in the treatment of insomnia is the use of hypnotic images - those images that arise in a person in an intermediate state between wakefulness and sleep.You must set a task for yourself, concentrate on internal images, and observe them.At first, this can cause some difficulties, so to achieve the result requires patience.Gradually, the statistical images will go to sleep.
Insomnia in pregnancy
During pregnancy, insomnia occurs in many women.Of course, the state of pregnancy is a strict contraindication for taking any sleeping pills and many folk remedies.Here we need safe methods that do not harm the health of mother and future baby.
A relaxing bath or shower can help eliminate sleep disturbances without the use of aromatic oils and products with strong fragrance, a good effect is provided by a walk in the fresh air.Clothes for sleep need to choose a comfortable, made of natural fabrics.Do not watch TV for a long time or sit at the computer before going to bed.
Specialists claim that normalizing sleep during pregnancy will help to maintain a healthy diet, because many expectant mothers are tormented by heartburn, because of which they can not sleep for a long time.From the diet it is desirable to exclude fried and salty dishes, soda, chocolate.
Pregnant women are characterized by feelings and anxiety, so they may need competent psychological help.In later terms, it is recommended to purchase a special pillow.To take vitamin complexes for the treatment of insomnia in pregnant women is allowed only on the instructions of a doctor.
Attention! During pregnancy, it is prohibited to use any chemical medications, be it hypnotics or antidepressants.If you can not overcome insomnia on your own, consult a doctor - he can advise safe means of plant origin.
There are several recommendations that will help you avoid insomnia:
- Try to go to bed and wake up at the same time, so that the body gets used to a certain biorhythm.
- Observe the rules of proper nutrition, watch the body weight, do not eat up before going to bed and do not use toning drinks in the afternoon.
- Do not sleep in the daytime.
- Give time to regular physical activity.
- Learn to relax physically and psychologically.
- Do not take alcohol as a sleeping pill, because alcohol can actually speed up the process of falling asleep, but it significantly impairs the quality of sleep.
- The optimal posture for sleeping is the posture on the abdomen - that's how little children sleep.
Insomnia can adversely affect our health and quality of life, which is why the problem should be rectified in a timely manner.Remember, treatment in this condition should be selected only by a competent specialist in order to avoid causing even more harm.A healthy sleep is the guarantee of an excellent state of health and mood.Recommended reading:
For more information on how to cope with insomnia, you will receive by viewing this video review:
Chumachenko Olga, medical reviewer