Headache in the back of the head: causes and what to do
Headache with localization in the occiput quite often disturbs people, and, in some, this symptom appears extremely rarely and for a short time, and some people suffer for years.Most people think that the headache in the nape is just a pain that can be removed with a Citramon pill, but doctors say that the pain in the nape may indicate the development of some pathological process.Table of contents:
Causes and characteristics of pain in the nape
Acute headache is never unreasonable.The causes of the appearance of the condition in question can be disorders in the vascular, nervous system and spine diseases.Depending on the reason for the pain in the occiput, the features of the phenomenon will vary.If the headache in the nape is single, this is most likely due to a long stay in a forced or uncomfortable position, hunger, stress, sleep on a too hard surface, smoking and drinking lots of coffee.Such manifestations of the occipital pain should not become a cause for concern, but in all other cases a person should seek qualified medical care.
Perhaps this is the most common cause of headache in the nape.For this disease there will be a characteristic destruction of the intervertebral discs of the cervical vertebrae.Pain in the occiput with cervical osteochondrosis is present permanently, can be localized in the neck or temporal region.The phenomenon under consideration is intensified when the head is tilted, turns and, in general, any movements.
If vertebrobasilar syndrome develops in the background of cervical osteochondrosis, the pain in the nape will be accompanied by nausea and vomiting, hearing loss, impaired coordination and noise in the ears.The patient can make complaints about visual disturbances - double vision, shroud and fog.Occipital pain in cervical osteochondrosis is almost always accompanied by dizziness in almost every case, and if a person tilts his head back, he may fall, become immobilized for a while, but without losing consciousness.
For the disease in question, a so-called cervical migraine is a characteristic pain that starts suddenly and has only one-sided localization.Simultaneously with a sharp attack of pain, there is a strong dizziness, a noise in the ears and episodes of darkening in the eyes.
Increased blood pressure is accompanied by a headache in the nape, which has the character of "bursting", pulsating.Such pains appear at the moment of awakening of a person from sleep and accompany him throughout the day, if you do not take medications of antihypertensive action.Against the backdrop of high arterial pressure, occipital pains are accompanied by dizziness and a sense of "heaviness" in the head, in some cases, general weakness and rapid heartbeat.Pain in the nape becomes much more intense if a person starts actively moving his head.
Note: often occurs with a sudden vomiting in the presence of high arterial pressure.Just after such an attack, the headache in the nape disappears .
This disease is characterized by the degeneration of the connective tissue of the vertebral ligaments into the bone.That is, on the vertebrae formed growths, which impair mobility of the neck and cause stiffness when turning / tilting the head.
Headache in the back of the head against the background of cervical spondylosis constantly, often pain extends to the ears and eyes.With any turns / inclinations of the head, the pain becomes more intense, but even if the person is completely at rest, the headache persists.Cervical spondylosis is a typical disease for the elderly, as well as for those who are forced to spend a long time in one posture( for example, due to the peculiarities of work).
This is an inflammatory process that occurs in the muscle tissues of the neck.The cause of the development of this disease can become hypothermia, trauma and simply uncomfortable position of the neck.Pain in the neck with cervical myositis occurs only when the head moves, it starts from the neck and then spreads to the nape and other areas of the shoulder girdle.
Increased intracranial pressure
The nature of pain in such a pathological condition will be pressing and bursting, the localization can be concentrated only in the occiput, or "pour" over the entire head.For high intracranial pressure, vomiting is characteristic, after an attack of which the headache in the nape does not become easier.
Often with increased intracranial pressure, pain in the eyeballs and heaviness in the head join the pain in the nape.
Myogelosis of the cervical spine
Myogelosis of the cervical spine is a violation of the muscular circulation.This is what leads to the formation of painful seals in the neck.Pain in the occiput appears almost from the first days of the disease and is accompanied by pronounced dizziness and stiffness of the muscles of the shoulders and neck.
If there is a spasm of the arteries that are located on the surface or inside the skull, then the person has a sharp, throbbing pain in the occipital part of the head.This pain very quickly, almost swiftly, spreads to the forehead.Any movement of the head makes the pain more intense, but if a person is at rest, the unpleasant sensation is almost not determined.
If there is a problem with the flow from the head of venous blood, then the occipital pain will be blunt and bursting, the patient will necessarily notice a feeling of heaviness in the head.Often, such pain begins in the morning, continues all day and is accompanied by edema of the lower eyelids.
Neuralgia of the occipital nerve
Neuralgia of this type, as a rule, develops against the background of cervical osteochondrosis and other pathologies of the cervical spine.The cause of neuralgia of the occipital nerve can be even a long stay in the cold air, that is, banal hypothermia.Pain in the nape in this case will be very strong, characterized as "burning and shooting," the current is paroxysmal.
In addition to the above reasons for the appearance of the occipital pain, doctors also indicate some provoking factors:
- Pain during orgasm.It has a vascular origin, since orgasm is always accompanied by a sharp increase in blood pressure.Often similar occipital pain is experienced by people with diagnosed vegetative-vascular dystonia.
- Professional pain.If a person is forced to stay for a long time in the same position, accompanied by a tension in the muscles of the neck, then the occurrence of headaches in the nape can not be avoided.Such professional pains can be at drivers, watchmakers, programmers, jewelers.The pain in this case will be long and blunt, but they always disappear after the massage.
- Pain under stress.Such nuchal pain is most often noted in women, the nature and duration of these unpleasant sensations are variable and depend only on the psychological state.As soon as the psycho-emotional background is normalized, the headache in the nape will disappear.
Headache in the nape: what to do
Before you start treating the occipital pain, you need to find out the true cause of their appearance. It is worthwhile to consult a therapist who will perform the initial diagnosis and refer the patient to a narrow specialist .If the causes of pain in the nape are arterial hypertension and increased intracranial pressure, this condition requires immediate provision of qualified medical care. If the pain in the nape is not a sign of pathology, then the following procedures will help get rid of them:
- Therapeutic physical training.If you unload the strained muscles of the neck and ligaments of the spine, then the movement of blood through the vessels will be more active, which will contribute to the disappearance of the headache in the nape.To achieve this effect, you need to see a doctor who will develop a special set of exercises.Contraindications this method does not have, the main condition - the correct and regular performance of the sports complex.
- Massage.Even if you just rub your neck and neck, the headache disappears.If you do a targeted massage of certain muscle groups, the occipital pain disappears like "by magic".Massage is prescribed by the courses, which should be repeated every 2 months.Independently you can rub yourself tight parts of the neck and head. Note: with high blood pressure and cervical spondylosis diagnosed is strictly prohibited.
- Acupuncture.This method is advisable to apply if the headache in the nape is caused by neuralgia of the occipital nerve, stress, cervical osteochondrosis.The meaning of acupuncture is a point effect on the biologically active zones of the skin.
- Physiotherapy treatment.It perfectly helps with myogelosis, spondylosis, high intracranial pressure, vascular pain, osteochondrosis.It is understood that the doctor prescribes to the patient treatment with ultrasound, laser therapy, electrophoresis and magnetotherapy.
Normalization of rest and wakefulness and a healthy lifestyle are very important.Often only these two parameters allow you to get rid of the headache in the back of your head.Moreover, the normalization and stabilization of the rhythm of life will be required for pain in the nape of any origin.
Traditional medicine in the treatment of occipital pains
If this phenomenon is associated with stress and fatigue, then you can apply some funds from the category of "traditional medicine". The most effective will be:
- Tea made from mint.Brewing green tea, you need to add to it a tablespoon of dry mint( this amount for 1 cup).When occipital pain occurs, you need to drink 200 ml of this tea and after 15-20 minutes discomfort will disappear.
- Juices.Every day you need to drink half a glass of black currant juice or a fourth of a glass of potato juice.You can not drink these two drinks in one day, you can drink courses - a week we drink juice from black currant, then we make a break for 3 days and drink potato juice for a week.
- Propolis.Take 20 grams of propolis, grate and pour 100 ml of alcohol( vodka).The drug lasts for a day, then it should be taken daily at 40 drops per day for a week.Please note that in the treatment of this drug will have to give up driving.
Well, and perhaps the strangest way to get rid of a headache in the back of your head is to apply a copper coin to the source of the pain and after 20 minutes the unpleasant sensation will disappear.
If it hurts in the nape, then you need to analyze the time and nature of the pain, then consult a doctor for examination and to determine the cause of this condition.Only after this, it will be possible to take some measures aimed at restoring health.
Tsygankova Yana Aleksandrovna, medical reviewer, therapeutist of the highest qualification category