Pain in the temples: causes, character, treatment
Headaches with localization in the temples are familiar to almost everyone - statistics say that at least 98% of people have experienced this unpleasant syndrome.If the usual pain syndrome can be tolerated and even withstand its intense enough impact, the pain in the temples of even the most tolerant people forces the use of medication.This is due to the fact that a large number of nerves and vessels are located in the temporal region: the slightest pressure on the nerve endings leads to severe pain.Table of contents: Pain in the temporal part of the head Causes of pain in the temples
Pain in the temporal part of the head
Pain in the temples is rarely characterized as blunt and aching - most often patients describe them in the same way: shooting, pulsating,.In addition, the pain in this place of the head can be short-lived, but in some cases lasts for hours and even days, disrupting the habitual rhythm of life.
It is noteworthy that the causes of pain in the temples do not affect their character - they always differ in conditionally equal intensity.
Causes of pain in the temples
Pain syndrome in the temples can be caused by various causes, often they are, at first glance, not associated with this part of the body.
MigraineRecommended to read:
This disease causes not only an acute attack of pain in one or another part of the head with a pulsating sensation in the temple, but also nausea, vomiting, rejection of bright light and noise.Migraine can manifest itself only periodically arising pain in the temple, accompanied by irritation and nervousness.
The patients are often unaware of the presence of migraine, so if the above symptoms occur, it is necessary to consult a doctor - the medicine has developed a specific treatment for this ailment, and the use of pain medication does not bring relief.
Some infectious diseases
Pulsating, moderate intensity and prolonged pain in the temples can accompany some infectious diseases - for example, it is inherent in the early development of tonsillitis, influenza, brucellosis and other ailments.
Note: taking painkillers does not have the expected effect, you need an examination, a doctor's consultation and the appointment of a competent treatment is not pain, but its causes.
Angiodystonia of cerebral nature
This disease develops as a consequence of violations of the tonus of the walls of arterial and venous vessels. In addition to pain in the temples, there will be accompanying symptoms:
- weakness in the hands and feet, numbness of the fingers( short-term);
- intermittent tinnitus;
Headaches in the temporal region occur suddenly or spontaneously with cerebral angiodystonia, regardless of the time of day.Can be characterized as stupid, aching, different sensation of "aches".
High intracranial pressure
A pathology characterized by the presence of a large amount of liquor( fluid) in the cranium - the mass presses on certain areas of the brain and provokes a powerful, regular, exhausting headache.
The disease is quite dangerous, as it leads to disruption of the functionality of certain parts of the brain.In addition to severe pain in the temples, patients notice nausea, weakening of vision and a feeling of pressure in the eyes "from within".Note: a characteristic for a patient with increased intracranial pressure is a constant search for a comfortable posture, in which the temporal pain ceases - sometimes this posture is a strange configuration.
Usually the headache in the area of the temples with atherosclerosis appears when the disease is already diagnosed - there is a narrowing of the lumen of the vessels of a pathological nature, their occlusion.Temporal pain becomes permanent, lasts a long time, no painkillers help, or have a short-term effect.Patients report a significant decrease in memory, increased fatigue, and unmotivated irritability.
Dysfunction of the vegetative system
A systemic disease characterized by impaired functions, which the body normally performs automatically.Not all of them lead to the development of pain in the temples - this syndrome will be inherent only in cerebrovascular disorders.Pain in the temples in this case will be accompanied by regular dizziness, frequent fainting and almost uninterrupted noise in the ears.
They are inherent in men( in most cases) who have a second to third degree of obesity and have a habit of smoking.Cluster temporal pains are more often fixed in the spring-summer period and have a characteristic severity:
- always comes suddenly;
- pain is present not only in the temple, but also instantaneously spreads into the eyeball;
- appears abundant lacrimation;
- marked with nasal sinus congestion;
- face is hyperemic( redness noted).
The pain in the temples is so strong that a person has to stop, sit down, he automatically starts to massage the temple with his fingers.Such a seizure lasts no more than an hour, more often 15-minute attacks of cluster pain are noted.
Arteritis of temporal nature
This disease shows the development of the inflammatory process on arteries / veins located in the temporal region.The pain syndrome in this case is powerful, pulsating, it intensifies either at night or in the afternoon, very often the pain appears at the moments of chewing or active conversation, when the muscles of the face are involved.
Note: when you feel the temporal bones( the patients usually do this mechanically to reduce the unpleasant syndrome), the pain is greatly increased.
Persistent high blood pressure is always accompanied by headaches - they can be present in any part of the head, for temples are characterized by pressing and actively pulsating sensations.With arterial hypertension, pain in the temples can be triggered by the following factors:
- psychoemotional bursts;
- sudden change in weather conditions;
- magnetic storms.
With hypertension, pain in the temples is not single, it is always accompanied by general weakness, shortness of breath, pain in the heart, tinnitus.
Neuralgia of the trigeminal nerve
Very unpleasant condition, which is accompanied by shooting pain in the temples - this chamber can last from 10 to 80 seconds.Pain always arises spontaneously / suddenly, a person stops at this moment because of fear of the syndrome, a couple of seconds after a lumbago in the temple there is a spasm of facial muscles on the affected side and pain is poured on the cheek, eye, ear, chin.
Hormonal disorders in women
Temporal pain may occur immediately before the onset of menstruation or in the middle of the menstrual cycle( ovulation period).As a rule, they are the most intense at a young age, then their strength decreases, and after the birth the pain disappears altogether.
Pain in the temples can appear in the menopausal period of the woman's life - they are also associated with hormonal changes in the body, differ blunt and aching character, last for several days in a row, are described by women as "undulating, rolling".
Pathological changes of the temporomandibular joint
Pain in the temples in this pathology is not unique - the same syndrome is present in the occipital part of the head, can be irradiation in the neck and shoulders.A characteristic sign of the pathology of the temporomandibular joint, in addition to temporal pains, is gnashing of teeth, a strong contraction of the jaws.
The patient himself will indicate the cause of the pains in the temples - either a fall or a blow to the head.In the case of trauma, the temporal pains are not characterized by an intense character, so patients generally do not pay attention to them, giving themselves relief by using the usual painkillers.But in fact, this syndrome indicates any violations in the functionality of the brain, circulatory system, which require the active participation of professionals.
In addition to pathological conditions, various inflammatory and infectious processes, external factors can cause temporal pain.These include:
- Fasting.The complete rejection of food, which people use for medicinal purposes or because of religion, can lead to pulsating, intense and persistent pain in the temples.Moreover, the first pain syndromes begin to appear within 24 hours after the onset of complete starvation.
- Poisoning.It is possible to poison not only food products, but also toxic substances that are in the air.For example, carbon monoxide poisoning, formaldehyde, styrene, vinyl chloride and other harmful substances.The pain in the temples will be pulsating, accompanied by dizziness, nausea and vomiting, increased drowsiness.Please note: often modern plastic materials contain harmful toxic substances.Therefore, in case of permanent head pain in the temporal region immediately after the repair work in the house / office or purchase of new furniture, it is worth checking their quality.
- Sleep deprivation.According to medical research concluded: pain in the temples can appear after sleep disturbances - each person should rest at least 8 hours a day.
To the appearance of headaches in the temporal region can lead and banal overexertion - this is often noted in people whose work is associated with the need to process a large number of documents, a long time at the computer.
Note: Some scientists claim that pain in the temples can be caused by monosodium glutamate.This substance is found in many food products, spices, sauces - to avoid its use is almost impossible.
Treatment of pain in the temples
There is no specific recommendation for relieving pain in the temples - even powerful painkillers in some cases do not provide relief.Headache in the temples can testify to the development of pathology, which threatens not only health, but also human life - a call to a doctor should not be postponed indefinitely.
Treatment of the pain syndrome under consideration can be carried out in a variety of ways:
- The pain syndrome in temples with migraine can be treated with specific medications - ergotamines, triptans;
- hypertension, vegetovascular dystonia, atherosclerosis can not be treated independently - a long-term therapy will be required by the doctor, during which the pain in the temples will stop;
- if the cause of the syndrome in question is irritability and other psychological factors, then you can take it off with an aromatherapy session - arrange yourself a relaxation using essential oils of orange, tea tree and mint;
- pathology of vegetovascular nature is treated by physiotherapy methods( exercise) and taking medications that will correct the tone of the vessel walls.
Note: pain in the temple can be helped by the use of aspirin - it is this non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drug that has a beneficial effect on blood vessels.But the system can not be introduced into this system - any medicines should be used in an authorized manner.
First, an ambulance for headaches in the area of the temples:
- Drink a cup of coffee in silence and darkened room.Please note: this recommendation is suitable only for people who are excluded from hypertension and cardiovascular diseases.
- Make a head massage.If the localization of the painful syndrome occurs in the whiskey, then you need to work on this area: with your fingers, press on the temporal fossa and withstand the tension for 5-10 seconds, you can massage in circular motions.
- Contrasting procedures.Apply a cold compress to your temples and forehead for 5 minutes, then change it to hot.It is enough 10-15 minutes of such contrasting procedures and the pain in the temples will disappear.
If we talk about the prevention and reduction of the number of attacks of pain in the temples, the following can be done:
- Spend sufficient time sleeping - a person should sleep at least 6 hours a day, the optimal option - 8 hours.
- More often let's rest your eyes and muscles with a sedentary and hard work, refuse to sit at the computer outside your working hours - read the book better.
- Regularly drink herbal teas - for example, cooked from the flowers of chemist's chamomile( 1 tablespoon of dry source to a glass of boiling water, brew as regular tea).
- Take a walk on fresh air, regularly ventilate the room - the flow of oxygen into the air will ensure adequate operation of all body systems.
The above recommendations refer to general advice - only a doctor can give a more specific assignment.Pain syndrome in the temporal region of the head is an alarm signal that indicates health problems - only a full, professional examination will allow to exclude or confirm any pathologies.
More details about the pains in the temples are told in the program "Be Healthy":
Tsygankova Yana Aleksandrovna, medical reviewer, therapeutist of the highest qualification category.