Ginkgo Biloba - instructions for use, properties and contraindications
May 08, 2018
Ginkgo biloba is a plant belonging to relic varieties, which has existed on our planet for millions of years.In the wild, this plant grows in France and Japan, but it is cultivated in China, in its Southern provinces.
Ginkgo biloba is used not only in folk medicine - this plant is recognized as useful, curative and official representatives of science.Ginkgo biloba is realized, to be exact - the extract of its leaves, in the form of capsules, oil, extract and tincture, moreover, without a prescription and any restrictions.Table of contents: Ginkgo biloba - instructions for use Pharmacological action of ginkgo biloba Ginkgo biloba - indications for use Ginkgo biloba - contraindications How to take ginkgo biloba Side effects and overdose Drug interactions Interesting facts about ginkgo biloba
Ginkgo biloba - instructions for use
Despite the medicinal properties of the representative of the flora in question, before using drugs based on it, it is necessary to familiarize yourself with the instrumentApplication.Of course, very few people pay attention to this little scrap of paper in each medicine package, but such frivolity can lead to severe, and often irreversible, processes.
Pharmacological action of ginkgo biloba
In general, the plant under consideration and its medicinal products are used to treat a wide variety of diseases.By research it was revealed that ginkgo biloba has a positive effect on metabolic processes in the body, vasomotor reactions of large blood vessels, microcirculation of blood.
Ginkgo biloba is actively used in the treatment of diseases of the brain and cardiovascular system, because the plant in question is capable of affecting:
- cerebral circulation;
- quality of supplying the brain with oxygen;
- vascular status - has a vasodilating effect;
- metabolic processes in tissues.
In addition, ginkgo biloba has an antihypoxic effect, prevents the formation of free radicals, has an anti-edematic effect not only at the level of peripheral tissues, but also the brain.
Ginkgo biloba - indications for use
Medicinal products manufactured on the basis of the leaf extract of the plant under consideration are assigned when:
- has a constant sense of fear and anxiety;
- reduced concentration;
- memory corruption;
- noises in the ears;
- sleep disorders;
- general ailments.
Ginkgo biloba - contraindications
There are two types of contraindications to the use of medicines based on the plant under consideration - unconditional and conditional. When it comes to categorical prohibitions, they are possible under the following conditions:
- diagnosed gastritis of erosive type;
- stomach ulcer;
- peptic ulcer of duodenum at the stage of exacerbation;
- myocardial infarction of acute flow period;
- stable low blood pressure - hypotension;
- is a disorder of cerebral circulation in the acute phase.
Important: is not recommended to use any medicines based on the extract of leaves of ginkgo biloba to pregnant women and those who breastfeed.The fact is that there are no data on how such drugs influence the health of the future mother and the fetal development of the fetus, as well as the already born child - there has simply been no research in this direction.
Ginkgo biloba is not used in pediatric practice - doctors put in contra-indications age till 18 years.However, traditional medicine allows the use of oil and extracts of ginkgo biloba outwardly and in childhood - about the advisability of this application to patients under the age of 18 years to consult with specialists.
A conditional contraindication is an allergic reaction to a plant.The fact is that there were no powerful, intense manifestations of allergy to ginkgo biloba, official medicine was not there, so the emerging symptoms of hypersensitivity in the first days of drug use / use on the basis of the extract of the leaves of ginkgo biloba may disappear in 2-3 days.
How to take Ginkgo biloba
If the doctor has prescribed a Ginkgo biloba capsule, then the daily dosage should be 1-2 capsules twice a day.The duration of the course of taking medicines based on the extract of leaves of ginkgo biloba is 3 months, then it will be necessary to take a break and, if necessary, repeat the course.
Note: do not self-medicate - you still need to get a consultation from your doctor and get the correct appointments indicating the daily dosage.
If necessary, take the extract of ginkgo biloba, it is worth following the following recommendations:
- the preparation must be diluted in water;
- Daily dose of Ginkgo biloba extract should not exceed 20 drops;
- treatment course can be 3-4 months;
- , if you need to repeat the course of treatment, you need to take a break for 30-40 days.
Ginkgo biloba tincture is a fairly common remedy, which must also be taken in strict dosage.In the instructions for use indicated daily dosage of such a pharmacological form of the drug - 10-15 drops of tincture, dissolved in 100 ml of water once a day.The course of treatment should be at least 30 consecutive days, and in general, doctors recommend that you take 3 courses of taking this medication a year.The results will be noticeable literally after 3-5 days of using the tincture of ginkgo biloba - memory improves, the body quickly restores even after severe fatigue, concentration of attention increases.
Side effects and overdose
Statistically, any medicine based on ginkgo biloba is well tolerated by patients, but rare exceptions are - side effects will be presented in the form of digestive system disorders.
Overdosing of ginkgo biloba is also extremely rare, in this case, not only disturbances in the work of the gastrointestinal tract( diarrhea, vomiting, nausea, heartburn, unpleasant eructations), but also headaches, dizziness.
Please note: , when there are any abnormalities in the state of health, against the background of regular use of ginkgo biloba, it is necessary to immediately cancel the drug and seek medical advice from the treating doctor.Most likely, an adjustment will be made to the daily dose.
It is strictly forbidden to use any pharmacological forms of ginkgo biloba at the same time as the course of taking anticoagulants, antiplatelet agents and acetylsalicylic acid.This combination can provoke a hemorrhage in the brain.
Interesting facts about ginkgo biloba
In general, such relic plants as ginkgo biloba store many secrets - you just imagine, they were living witnesses to the dinosaurs and the Ice Age on the planet!Therefore such "honorable" representatives of the flora are carefully studied, researched by scientists of different directions.
There are, of course, many results of such studies, but we will highlight only a few interesting facts. So, ginkgo biloba:
- Has a history of its existence on the planet for more than 300 million years and does not belong to any species of plants that grows on Earth at this time.
- Used as a healing plant in Asia for already 5 thousand years.
- It grew in the territory of modern Europe, but disappeared in the Ice Age.Only in 1712 it was imported from Japan.
- Can reach a height of 40 meters.
- Has the longest life of a representative of the flora - 1000 years.
- Absolutely resistant to harmful insects, viruses, pathogens and air pollution.
- Capable of producing powerful antioxidants that inhibit cell death processes.This property, by the way, is actively used in cosmetology - it is recommended to use ginkgo biloba oil for women over 30 years old, which will help to delay the aging process of the skin.
- The first tree that was reborn after the atomic explosion in Hiroshima.
- Gives people not only medicine, but also useful, pleasant taste tea - it is made from roots and leaves of a plant, doctors recommend to use it instead of morning coffee.
Ginkgo biloba is a truly unique plant that not only can grow even in the most polluted regions, but also give people their healing properties.
Tsygankova Yana Aleksandrovna, medical reviewer, therapeutist of the highest qualification category.