Causes of drowsiness and fatigue
May 25, 2018
Sleep disorder, which is characterized by a desire to sleep, is considered as increased drowsiness.Moreover, the desire to sleep often arises periodically, but can be present and constantly.Such a syndrome can, of course, testify about chronic fatigue - a person needs to fully rest.But there are a lot of pathologies, which in the list of symptoms have increased drowsiness.
If a person experiences constant or periodic drowsiness, and chronic fatigue syndrome can be ruled out, doctors should be consulted immediately - only a complete examination of the body will enable specialists to find out the true cause of the condition in question.Since there are many such reasons, it will be necessary to differentiate possible pathological conditions - this will help to conduct effective treatment.Table of Contents:
Common causes of increased sleepiness
Most often, the syndrome under consideration accompanies endocrine and cardiovascular disease, but it can also be present in narcolepsy, Klein-Levine syndrome, sleep apnea syndrome - neuropsychiatric diseases,Which always flow heavily, radically change the way of life of the patient.
Often, increased drowsiness is noted by those who are forced to take certain drugs for a long period - this affects their side effect on the body.As a rule, with this development of events, the attending physician will either adjust the dosage of the medication taken, or completely replace it.
Drowsiness is almost always associated with the lack of daylight.Pay attention to how the psycho-emotional background varies with cloudy weather, prolonged rains.In principle, such a condition can not be regarded as a pathology, but it is possible to help the body enter the usual rhythm of life.To increase the light day and fill the lack of sun in the rooms set the fluorescent light - it literally a couple of days helps restore the strength of the body.
And of course you can not ignore stress and depression, in which a person simply "goes" to sleep - he thus "hides" from problems and troubles.If increased drowsiness arose just against such a disorder of psycho-emotional background and nervous system, then you just need to solve the problem or seek help from a psychologist.
Please note: all the listed conditions that lead to increased drowsiness, in principle, can be overcome independently( with rare exceptions), and drowsiness in the described cases will be considered almost the norm.But there are a number of serious diseases that are accompanied by increased drowsiness - in this case, without professional medical care simply can not do.Recommended to read:
Doctors distinguish a number of diseases during which there is increased drowsiness:
- Anemia is iron deficient.With such a disease, the level of iron in the body decreases, and if the pathology remains "without attention" and the patient does not undergo a course of treatment, the hemoglobin deficiency can be detected even in blood cells.In addition to increased drowsiness, iron deficiency anemia is accompanied by fragility of nail plates and hair, general weakness, changes in taste, dizziness.
Please note: can not normalize and stabilize the level of iron in the body solely with folk remedies.With these symptoms, you should always consult a doctor who, after the examination, will prescribe an effective treatment with iron preparations.
- Hypothyroidism.This disease is associated with a violation or a decrease in the functionality of the thyroid gland.It is noteworthy that this disease does not have any specific symptoms and is most often "masked" for other pathologies.The only thing that doctors can distinguish from signs of hypothyroidism is increased drowsiness, dry skin, swelling of the face and upper limbs, periodic speech slowing.There may be a violation of the menstrual cycle in women, chilliness, memory impairment, spontaneous depressive conditions.
- Hypotension.A pathology characterized by a decrease in blood pressure, the cause of this is a lowered tone of blood vessels.Since with such a disease there is a violation of the blood supply to cells and brain tissues, the symptoms will not only be increased drowsiness, but also general weakness, dizziness, increased fatigue.
- Sleep apnea syndrome.This is a dangerous condition, during which a person holds a breath, and the brain at this moment is forced to "turn on" to give the next team about the beginning of breathing.As a result of such activity of the brain, a person wakes up already tired and then suffers drowsiness.The sleep apnea syndrome can be accompanied by twitching and movements of the upper / lower limbs during sleep( close people can pay attention to it), nightmares, headaches of unexplained etiology.
- Diabetes mellitus.In this disease, the cause of increased drowsiness can be both an overabundance, and a lack of glucose in the body.Often sudden drowsiness may indicate that the patient begins to enter into a coma - this is life-threatening.If diabetes mellitus has not been previously diagnosed, but there is drowsiness, along with a decrease in blood pressure, itching of the skin, increased thirst, it is urgent to seek the advice of an endocrinologist.
- Narcolepsy.This is an unexplored disease, in which a person suddenly falls asleep for a period of several hours to several days.Moreover, the moment of falling asleep can occur at any moment, the patients do not have any forebodings before the attack, and after awakening they feel as much as possible rested, excited and active.According to statistics, narcolepsy is usually diagnosed in young men aged 16-25.
There are a number of symptoms that, together with increased drowsiness, can be the basis for setting a preliminary diagnosis.Of course, every doctor will perform the necessary examinations, but assumptions will already be made.
Dizziness, drowsiness and weakness - vegetative vascular dystonia
The mechanism of development of increased drowsiness in this disease is very simple:
- on the blood vessels is affected by any factor - for example, stress, smoking;
- against the backdrop of such an impact neuroendocrine changes occur - this condition generally underlies vegetovascular dystonia;
- in the vessels of the brain there is a violation of blood flow( dystonia).
Treatment of increased drowsiness in this pathology is to fight against factors that actually provoke a common disease.The patient will be helped by psychotherapy, reflexotherapy, acupuncture and measures aimed at overall strengthening of the whole organism.
If the disease is severe, doctors will prescribe specific medications that will relieve the patient and of drowsiness.Recommended:
Nausea, headache and drowsiness - intoxication of the nervous system
In this condition, the brain cortex is toxicly damaged due to internal or external factors.Exogenous intoxication can occur against the background of drinking a large number of alcoholic beverages, chemicals, poisons of plant or bacterial origin( food poisoning).Endogenous intoxication can occur against a background of severe liver diseases( cirrhosis, hepatitis) and kidneys.
Intoxication of the nervous system is always accompanied by increased drowsiness, nausea and a headache - according to these signs, doctors will be able to diagnose and provide professional help in time.
Vomiting, nausea, dizziness and drowsiness - traumatic brain injury
In such a trauma several factors start to act on the central nervous system:
- immediate impact - bruise, destruction of the brain tissue;
- impaired circulation of cerebrospinal fluid;
- cerebrovascular accident;
- cerebral edema.
Note: in the first few hours after a traumatic brain injury a patient can feel great, no symptoms.That is why, even with minor strokes on the head, a person must undergo examination in a medical institution.
Irritability, loss of strength and drowsiness - endocrine disruptions in women
Very often, drowsiness in women is associated with premenstrual syndrome and menopause. In addition to the syndrome under consideration, in such cases other pronounced symptoms will also be present:
- susceptibility to depression;
- power failure;
- unmotivated irritability;
- sharp mood swings;
- reduced availability;
- memory degradation.
When endocrine disruptions can cope with increased drowsiness can be herbal treatment or reflexology, but in especially severe cases, doctors can prescribe hormonal medications.
How to get rid yourself of the drowsiness
Of course, first of all you will need to see a doctor and undergo a preventive examination - you need to make sure that there are no serious pathologies.If increased drowsiness is a symptom of chronic diseases or caused by psychoemotional disorders, you can try to get rid of the syndrome in your own strength.
What do doctors recommend for increased drowsiness:
- You need to find out your own sleep rate and it's better to do it on vacation or on weekends - just find out how long it takes for a proper rest.It will be necessary to adhere to the clarified rate of sleep every day.
- Observe the mode of rest and wakefulness.Every day you have to go to bed and wake up at the same time.
- Do not ignore walking before going to bed, physical activity and rest by changing work activities.
- Correct the diet - in the menu should be present fresh vegetables and fruits, you can consult a doctor about the choice of multivitamin complexes for use.
- In the diet, you need to significantly reduce the carbohydrate share.
- Refuse coffee, or at least limit the amount of its use.Even if you are overcome by drowsiness, you need to remain vigorous.Coffee only for a while will give strength to the body, and literally in an hour drowsiness will return, and, it will be more intense.If you really need to support the body, then use green tea for this.
Increased drowsiness may be a sign of banal chronic fatigue, but may be a symptom of severe pathological conditions.You just need to closely monitor your health and literally "listen" to your well-being - timely examination in a medical institution will help to effectively cope with the problem.
Tsygankova Yana Aleksandrovna, medical reviewer, therapeutist of the highest qualification category.