Sweating at night: the causes of sweating at night in men and women
May 25, 2018
The allocation of sweat is one of the forms of physiological needs in the body.With the release of some harmful substances and poisons, increased sweating performs a thermoregulatory function.Sweating is increased during the day, with active physical and mental stress.At night, on the contrary, the natural loss of moisture is significantly reduced.
However, all people sooner or later experience a condition in which at night they begin profuse sweating( hyperhidrosis), for unknown reasons.Let's talk about this in more detail, try to find out the reasons for this problem.Table of contents:
Night sweats: causes of
Excessive perspiration at night can develop for physiological and external reasons, and also on the basis of a number of diseases.
Reasons for hyperhidrosis, not related to diseases, typical for all people:
- overly warmed sleeping accessories - blanket, featherbed.Synthetic pillow cases, pillows, sheets, duvet covers, which do not allow moisture, do not let it evaporate freely.There is an effect of accumulation and overheating of the body, which responds in a dream with a greater perspiration;
- nightgowns, pajamas, negligee, especially from predominantly synthetic fibers, tight-fitting body;
- high humidity and ambient temperature.Optimum for night rest is the temperature not higher than 20-22 ° С.Night sweats can occur with high humidity even at low ambient temperatures.
- late dinner and manner of eating at night, especially if this habit is accompanied by drinking alcohol, greasy, fried, salty and smoked food.
Note : the common factors that are the cause of hyperhidrosis in all, as well as the special conditions that cause increased sweating in men, women and children, are highlighted.
Pathological conditions and diseases that cause increased night sweats:
- specific and nonspecific acute infectious diseases, with severe intoxication and rising body temperature.In this case, the sweat glands take an active part in the excretion of viral and bacterial toxins;
- specific infections with long-term trends( tuberculosis, AIDS);
- is a chronic infectious disease, especially in the phase of exacerbation( chronic inflammatory diseases of the respiratory tract, kidneys, urinary tract, pancreas, etc.);
- malaise, accompanying the development of cardiac and pulmonary insufficiency;
- pathology of the endocrine system( thyroid dysfunction, diabetes mellitus,
- metabolic diseases( eg Iscenco-Cushing's disease)
- diseases that cause allergic manifestations
- systemic connective tissue diseases with autoimmune component( rheumatoid arthritis, rheumatoid arthritis,
- diseases of blood and lymphoid tissue
- treatment with cytostatic agents( antitumor drugs) ASD5ASAS
- pathology of the nervous system( neuritis,
- mental illnesses( neuroses, stress conditions, psychoses, acute phases of schizophrenia)
- ailments that cause exhaustion of the body or vice versa - obesity chronic alcoholism, substance abuse and addiction
Note : almost any disease can cause excessive sweating.
Night sweats in men
There are specific conditions and diseases that cause night sweats only in men.In particular, excessive nighttime hyperhidrosis can be a manifestation of hormonal imbalance. With a decrease in the production of male sex hormone - testosterone, men against this background begin to experience the effect of estrogen( the female sex hormone).This leads to attacks of heat, tides of blood to individual parts of the body, strong night sweats.Especially, if against the background of diseases in men begins excessive production of estrogens. Strengthen male dyshormonal hyperhidrosis may take alcohol, drugs, or any strong substances that include drugs).
During the transition crisis from maturity to old age and old age, which begins approximately at the age of 45, men begin to experience mental experiences.They are associated with a changing appearance( hair loss, gray hair, fat deposits, loss of muscle tissue, chronic diseases), which is a direct consequence of hormonal adjustment.Most are not easily adaptable to the inevitability of aging.Against this background men develop depression, fears, deep feelings.A dream is broken, heavy dreams appear in it, accompanied by heavy sweating.
Night sweating in women
Features of the female body are also often the cause of excessive sweating at night.
Most often, we are talking about the following states:
- pregnancy .In the first months of intrauterine development of the child, the female endocrine system undergoes a significant change.This dysfunctionality leads to a physiological imbalance in the work of the peripheral nervous system, which, among other things, regulates sweating.As a result, the future mother often, especially at night, excessive sweating of the hands and feet.Starting from the 4th month of pregnancy, the heart and blood vessels of a woman begin to exert special stress.Increases the total volume of circulating blood, lymph.The metabolism is rapidly accelerating.This fact is reflected in the amount of sweat secreted.The entire body begins to sweat.At night, this can attract attention.Closer to the beginning of birth the weight of the pregnant woman increases, the body accumulates fluid, swelling is noted.Liquid excess is excreted through the sweat glands, including at night;
- PMS( premenstrual syndrome) is a condition that develops in a woman a few days before the onset of menstruation.During this period, hormone imbalance is often observed in the body, accompanied by emotions and mood swings, pains and nocturnal hyperhidrosis;
- the period of extinction of female functions - climax .The beginning of the menopause period is characterized by a deep hormonal restructuring of the woman's body, by "cutting off" certain functions.As a result, often there are unpleasant feelings of heat, "hot flashes", dizziness, pain.The vessels against the background of these attacks behave unbalanced.They can expand and contract narrowly.In addition to psychological discomfort, a woman experiences profuse sweats of sweating.Especially they are felt at night.
Night sweating in children
In young children up to the age of five or six, the processes of thermoregulation are subject to considerable fluctuations, therefore, during a night sleep, when one of the autonomic nervous system( sympathetic or parasympathetic) dominates, a pronounced sweating appears.Especially pronounced hyperhidrosis during sleep is characteristic of infants.Also, in the process of increased sweating, the special structure of sweat glands plays a role.
Additional conditions that promote the development of children's night sweats:
- prematurity . The appearance of a newborn baby in the light of a previous period entails a huge load.Efforts of a little man in the struggle for life lead to an increased expenditure of energy and fluids, including during sleep, when the body tries to restore its weak forces;
- difficult tooth eruption . This is the next stage in which the body of a growing baby is exposed to severe pain and inflammatory processes.Against the background of the appearance of teeth, often at night, the body temperature rises, the recession of which leads to the pouring nature of sweating;
- hypovitaminosis D . Develops in children with a tendency to rickets.One of the initial signs of this pathology is the pronounced night sweating of the head, neck and torso of the child with a specific, unpleasant odor;
- syndrome of hyperactivity. A feature of the nervous system in which a child is excessively prone to excessive mobility during the day.The condition is caused by impaired brain functions.Pathological nervous impulses during night sleep can lead to a malfunction of the centers of regulation, as a result of which the child may alternate with fever, chilliness, night sweats;
- infectious-catarrhal pathology . In infants, infectious diseases begin very often at night, with abundant hyperhidrosis;
- vegetative-vascular dystonia . This morbid condition is more characteristic of adolescence during the transition period.Disbalance of the innervation of the autonomic nervous system leads to disruption of the internal organs, including sweat glands, both during the day and during the night.After a while, the problem goes away on its own.
Principles of treatment of night sweats
Treatment of hyperhidrosis should begin with the detection of a causative factor.For this purpose it is necessary to pass inspection at several experts: the therapist, the pediatrist, the neuropathologist, the psychiatrist, the endocrinologist, the oncologist, infektsionista.
If a problem is found, efforts are directed to its elimination and cure.Together with the healing of the underlying disease, night sweats will also go away.
If, after a full examination, the cause is not identified, then we can talk about the primary hyperhidrosis - a condition with undetected etiology.In this case, excessive sweating is eliminated by symptomatic treatment.
When determining rickets, children are prescribed vitamin D therapy, sunbathing.In other cases, children under 6 years of age do not need special treatment for nighttime hyperhidrosis.The exception is children suffering from alimentary obesity, which shows a special diet that promotes proper metabolism.A good effect is provided by the physical culture
Local treatments for overnight hyperhidrosis are ineffective.
Alexander Lotin, medical reviewer