How to reduce the temperature without tablets for adults and children
May 25, 2018
Increased body temperature is always frightening, especially in the case of hyperthermia in a child.Doctors also look at this phenomenon "soberly and coolly," and that's why they do not advise to shoot down to 38.5 degrees - this indicator indicates that the body is actively developing antibodies against the causative agent of the disease.
The increase in body temperature is not a disease, it is a symptom, therefore it is not necessary to eliminate it unilaterally, sooner or later, full treatment will still be needed. Doctors classify the condition in question as follows:
- 38-38, 5 degrees Celsius - light glow;
- above 38, 5 degrees Celsius - moderate heat;
- more than 39, 5 degrees Celsius - high fever;
- above 40 degrees Celsius - a fever that represents a real danger to the life of the patient.
Every person reacts differently to a rise in body temperature - someone already at 37 degrees is going to say goodbye to life, and someone at 39 feels normal and can even lead a regular work activity.But there are a number of diseases in which it is strictly forbidden to allow a temperature increase of more than 38.5 degrees Celsius - for example, epilepsy, blood diseases, cardiac and vascular pathology, and damage to the central nervous system.
What can not be done at a high temperature
There are a number of recommendations that doctors give.They concern the question "what can not be done at high temperature" and explain / argue each position.
If the elevated temperature does not cause problems, then it is better not to knock it down altogether.
In adults, it is not recommended to bring down the temperature if it does not exceed the threshold of 38.5 - 39.0 degrees Celsius, for preschool children this indicatorIs 38 - 38.5 degrees Celsius. But this rule applies only to cases when such hyperthermia does not cause complications, and the person does not have a history of dangerous diseases.Some doctors believe that even the above indicators are underestimated - the fact is that at high temperatures the immune system works as efficiently as possible, interferon is produced in the body and pathogens die.
You can not bring down the temperature immediately to 36.6 degrees Celsius
Many parents want to immediately bring down the elevated temperature to the limit of the norm, and maybe a little lower.But it is not necessary to achieve grades in 36, 6!Even if the patient's body temperature has decreased by 1 - 1, 5 - 2 degrees, this will be enough to prevent the development of complications, but the body will still continue to fight the infection.
Do not bring down the heat from the first moment of its appearance
Doctors recommend not taking the time to take antipyretic drugs - you need to give the body the opportunity to actively work against the infection.If you constantly knock down the temperature and do not let it go up even 1-2 degrees, it will lead to a long and severe course of even banal acute respiratory-viral infections.
What is forbidden to take / do with hyperthermia
There are a number of tools and manipulations that can contribute to a further increase in body temperature. They are exactly what they are forbidden:
- hot drinks;
- mustard plasters;
- sweet drinks;Electric blankets and heating pads
- hot tub, shower and steam room in the sauna / sauna;
- wrapped in a blanket, warm clothes and so on.Is Air Humidifier Needed?
There is no consensus on this issue among doctors.It is believed that at a high body temperature the humidifier should not be used - it will prevent the evaporation of sweat from the skin of a sick person, which is the most important factor in the natural decrease in body temperature .In addition, bacteria and viruses can easily penetrate into the lungs together with moist air, which will aggravate the patient's condition.But if the body temperature is normalized and stabilized, moist air will help to cough up, dilute sputum - the use of an air humidifier is quite acceptable.
Rubbing alcohol-containing drinks
If earlier this "folk remedy" was very popular and even doctors themselves recommended wiping the legs / hands of the child to knock down the temperature, now this method is strictly prohibited. The fact is that pairs of alcohol that get through the lungs into the blood, in almost every case, cause dizziness and headaches.When rubbing the body with alcohol-containing drinks, the body becomes too abruptly cooled, so the body begins to compensate for this condition and to produce heat at a high rate - this will result in a chill.In general, the load on the body during wiping with vodka and alcohol-containing products is simply enormous, and without it it is weakened - the protracted and complicated course of the disease is guaranteed.
Note: infants are also strongly prohibited from vodka wiping - it's not even discussed!The skin of such a small child performs a respiratory function( in part) and the risk of alcoholic poisoning of the baby is too high.
To reduce the temperature without tablets to an adult
In order to avoid taking antipyretics, but to lower body temperature, the following should be done:
- In the room where the patient is, there should be a cool air temperature( maximum 20 degrees), butDrafts must be excluded.
- The patient should drink a lot of liquid - unsweetened berry smoothies, compote, mineral water, loose tea.Drinking fluids should be done constantly, but in small sips.
- The legs can be placed in a basin with cool( not icy!) Water.
- Apply cool compresses to the body, for which it is enough to moisten towels or sheets in water and attach to the legs, wrists, groin, neck and armpits.
- Wipe the heat with cool water - alternately wet the body parts with water, and then allow them to dry completely.
Naturally, you need to comply with bed rest and dress in clothes made from "breathable" fabric - cotton material is ideal.Signs of lower body temperature will be profuse sweating and the disappearance of chills.
How to knock down the temperature without tablets to the child
If the child is in the period of the first year of life, then the temperature of his body is absolutely forbidden to let him go - the organs and systems of such a baby are not yet perfect and the reaction to hyperthermia can be very severe .But older children can be helped without medication:
- In the room where the sick child is, you need to ensure the absence of drafts and cool air temperature( within 18-20 degrees Celsius).
- The toddler needs to be undressed to panties - evaporation of heat will be carried out from a large surface of the skin, which will quickly bring relief.In very young children, in the first place, you need to remove the diaper( diaper), since it is the source of the greenhouse effect.
- The child should be constantly given a drink.Every five minutes he should drink 5-10 ml of liquid and let it be water at room temperature.Children with fever often refuse to drink, but parents should in this case be interested in it and still give it a drink.For this, for example, you can use a syringe with a needle removed, a favorite bottle or a bright drink.
Please note: should not allow a child to drink large amounts of water at one time - this can trigger a fit of vomiting.
- The body of the temperature-sensitive child needs to be wiped off with water.And, at once all body to wipe it is not necessary - begin with a лобика and persons, then pass to handles and legs, a back and a neck.
- If the child is already 3 years old, you can put it in a basin with warm water and pour it with water from the same basin( as an option, you can do this procedure in the bath) for a maximum of 3 minutes without touching the head.Then the child wipes himself dry, puts on cotton clothes and goes to bed.
Note: if the general condition of the child is severe, he refuses to drink and does not urinate, the temperature often falls and immediately rises sharply, and the extremities are cold, then you need to urgently seek qualified medical help.The fact is that the temperature increase is typical not only for colds and flu, but also for sepsis, pneumonia, meningitis, and these are life-threatening pathologies.
Many are knocked down by Aspirin or Analgin.First, Analgin is an absolutely useless drug in the case of an increased temperature of , but it reduces the number of leukocytes in the blood and negatively affects the state of the immune system.Secondly, Aspirin can lead to the development of Reye's syndrome - this is a serious pathology in which the central nervous system and liver are affected.Thirdly, it is for these drugs that the topical annotation is current, which lists possible side effects.
How to reduce body temperature with folk remedies
There is a mass of plants and natural products that can help reduce body temperature.But it is worth knowing that they can only be used by adults, since in childhood they can provoke the strongest allergic reaction. Such folk remedies include:
- berries and fruits with a high content of vitamin C - cherry, prunes, red and black currants, raspberries, of which it is better to prepare fruit;
- plants with sweatshop effect - calendula, lime blossom, birch buds and oregano perfectly quench thirst and help reduce temperature;
- a branch of raspberry - from them prepare a decoction( 5 twigs 10-15 cm long for 500 ml of water, boil 5 minutes and cool), which is drunk in small sips.
Do not forget about honey - this product helps to increase sweating, has antibacterial and antiviral properties.It can be added to the above fruit and broths.
Hyperthermia is not a disease, it's just a reaction to an infection.Of course, under certain conditions it needs to be reduced "forcibly," but doctors insist that there is no need to hurry up with it - we must give our body a chance to fight.It is very important to pay attention to the treatment of the underlying disease, and not just to try and get rid of hyperthermia.Once the inflammatory or infectious process has subsided, it will stop progressing, body temperature will normalize and stabilize.
Yana Tsygankova, medical reviewer, therapeutist of the highest qualification category