Computer and its impact on human health
May 26, 2018
How many disputes are around the influence of the computer on human health.If before it was believed that the computer can cause harm, now the opinion of doctors has changed.Observing certain rules and listening to the recommendations of specialists, you can avoid the negative consequences that arise when you are in the long term in front of your computer monitor, and also minimize the risks of developing various diseases of the organs of vision, the musculoskeletal system, etc.Table of contents: Computer and spine Eyes and computer Thinking, behavior and computer Computer and cardiovascular system Myths about the effect of the computer on health
Computer and spine
How do people sit at the computer?Correctly, absolutely motionless!And this leads to a weakening of the muscles of the spine, since during a stationary sitting, one group of muscles is in constant tension, and the other in relaxation.Against the backdrop of such an unusual load on the spinal column, myofascial pain syndrome can develop, and prolonged loads lead to abrasion and premature aging of the intervertebral discs and vertebrae.
If the computer monitor is located low, the person will have to change his posture and bend closer and lower - the back is in a bent position all the time.Such a landing leads to an increase in the load on the front edges of the intervertebral discs - this is the direct path to protrusions( protrusion of the discs beyond the spinal column) and hernias.
In general, scoliosis and any other violation of posture - these are the most common problems that occur in people who are forced to spend a long time at the computer.And against the backdrop of scoliosis and violation of posture very quickly develops osteochondrosis and intervertebral hernia - a person will suffer from severe pain in the neck, shoulders, lower back.
Prophylaxis of the development of spine diseases with prolonged use of the computer:
- Buy a special office chair - this will help significantly reduce the burden on the shoulder girdle of the spine.
- Do not put your foot on the foot - ideally, you should lower them with full stops on the floor, do not squeeze under yourself and withstand an approximately right angle between the knees and the floor.
- Try to keep your back straight and straight, and for this you just need to properly adjust the office chair for its growth.
- Every 60 minutes when using a computer, you need to take breaks - it's enough 10 minutes to properly stretch your spine: go to the kitchen, make yourself a cup of tea or coffee.
Note: The sedentary lifestyle will in any case negatively affect the condition of the spinal column, so you will have to give up lifts, cars and lying on the couch on weekends - walking, exercise in sports halls, pool should be the basis of the rhythm of life.
Eyes and computer
Doctors are increasingly talking about "computer eye syndrome", which implies a combination of many symptoms - for example, redness of the eyeball, itching and burning in the eyes, dryness of the mucosa and others.If more recently, such a syndrome was considered as a professional illness of office workers, now it is increasingly diagnosed in childhood as well - long exposure in the virtual world of games and social networks.
What happens to the eyes when working at a computer:
- The movement of the eyeballs is limited, as the vision constantly focuses on the screen.
- Muscles that work to change the curvature of the lens or to focus the vision are in constant tension - the image on the monitor is in the same plane and the person simply does not look from near objects to distant, from large images to smaller ones.
- If the computer monitor is set too bright, then it will provoke an almost instant appearance of discomfort in the eyes.
- If a person needs to concentrate as much as possible on working at a computer, he simply forgets to blink - this ends with the dryness of the eyeball.
Symptoms of computer eye syndrome:
- redness and severe dryness of the eyeball;
- irritation and itching in the eyes;
- bifurcation of visible images, blurred vision;
- headaches, as well as pain in the neck and back.
Note: is the most commonly considered syndrome developed in people who already have a history of nearsightedness and astigmatism and continue to spend hours at the computer.
How to avoid the development of computer eye syndrome:
- You need to properly install the computer on the table - for example, scientists claim that the monitor should be located at a distance of at least 50 cm away from the eyes.
- If you have to work simultaneously andOn a computer, and with a book or magazine, then install the printed edition on a special stand so that the source is on the same line with the monitor.
- You need to completely get rid of the glare on the screen - close the curtains, move your workplace away from the TV and large lighting devices, purchase a special anti-reflective film.
- Under yourself adjust the brightness of the screen, because the manufacturer hardly took care of it and leave automatic settings extremely undesirable.
- Prevent the development of dry eyeballs - visit an ophthalmologist and ask for appointments of special eye drops that work on the principle of tear fluid.
- Every 20 minutes, remove your eyes from the computer monitor, give them a slightly different load - circle your room, look out the window.
Thinking, cognitive skills, behavior and computer
Ironically, scientists acknowledge that computers are quite capable of beneficially influencing cognitive thinking and memory.The fact is that with age, there are natural disruptions in the work of the brain for memorizing, analyzing and working out any information - the most severe problems occur with dementia and Alzheimer's disease.So scientists have long proven that people who constantly train their memory, do not let their brains get bored, solve some intellectual problems, are much less likely to suffer from dementia and Alzheimer's disease in old age.
Note: in 2016, in March, conducted another study, which confirmed that those people who in their work often use a computer, have the risk of developing these diseases at an older age by 42% less.The results of the study are published in the Journal of Alzheimer's Disease.
Much has been said about the computer negatively affecting children - violent games lead to psychosis and neuroses, aggression and hot temper, affective states.But relatively recently it was found out that the reason for such a cardinal change in the work of the nervous system may not be the games themselves, but the conditions for their passage - for example, children often literally "explode" when it is impossible to quickly pass the next level in the game.
And by the way, many scientists are sure that computer games can have a positive impact on the child's psyche - they instill some specific social skills, cognitive thinking.Of course, this depends on the choice of a particular game, but here it is the parents' concern to monitor and explain to the child the possible harm from "shooters", "zombies" and other horrors of the virtual world.
Computer and cardiovascular system
It would seem that there may be a common one? The fact is that the sedentary lifestyle of a person who spends a long time at a computer leads to the following phenomena:
- Congestive blood in the venous vessels of the pelvis.This condition is manifested with pain and discomfort in the pelvic region, but it is not as harmless as it may seem - the risk of developing genitourinary system diseases in men and women is sharply increased; in particularly severe cases, such stagnation of blood can cause infertility.
- Atherosclerosis and hypertension.When a person sits at a computer for a long time, he absorbs simply an incredible amount of sweet and fatty foods - the accumulation of harmful cholesterol in the blood and the formation of cholesteric and atherosclerotic plaques is inevitable.In addition, with a sedentary lifestyle, blood pressure will necessarily rise, and in a compartment with blood clots in the vessels, the result will be a stroke or a heart attack.
- Varicose veins of the lower extremities.The blood in general is difficult to move from the legs to the heart, and already if a person is in a long position for a long time, then there is a real stasis of blood in the vessels of the legs.The result is a varicose disease, which is manifested by swelling and the appearance of a blue net on the legs.
- Hemorrhoids.If you understand, then in fact it is also varicose veins, which leads to a sedentary lifestyle and blood stasis.Only in this case, problems arise in the venous vessels surrounding the rectum.
The most common myths about the computer's impact on health
Of course, this topic is literally shrouded in myths, but it is enough only to study the conclusions of scientists and doctors that they did after years of research to make sure of the fictitiousness of each of them.
Computers radiate harmful radio waves
This is heard from everyone and everywhere and for certain even you have a cactus near the monitor, or even a few - it is believed that this plant is capable of taking on all the radio emission.Calm down and leave the cactus alone!
First, there is no radio emission from the computer monitor - this item can emit only electromagnetic waves.And secondly, all possible harm from such radiation is neutralized automatically - modern monitors already have such protection.
During pregnancy, the computer is forbidden - there will be a miscarriage
It is absolutely officially proven that there is no connection between working at the computer and miscarriage in a pregnant woman, nor is the harmful influence of modern technology on the intrauterine development of the child.Yes, you need to properly equip your workplace, provide the necessary brightness to the screen and pick up a comfortable office chair - no more!
A lot of work at the computer - guaranteed blindnessRecommended to read:
No, the eyes light from the computer monitor does not burn and does not lead to blindness.Yes, problems with vision may arise, but they are strictly temporary and amenable to correction, so to speak, "without interruption from production."
Computers have become an integral part of almost everyone's life, but do not give up this benefit of civilization for the sake of myths and prejudices.It is enough only to take competent measures to prevent the development of some health problems in order to work quietly at the computer for many years.