Exfoliative dermatitis: symptoms and treatment
Various lesions of the skin that are extensive and characterized by increased ecdysis, in medicine are called eskfoliative dermatitis.This pathology belongs to the category of rare, according to statistics, it affects people over the age of 40, more often this diagnosis is made for men.
Exfoliative dermatitis occurs against a background of severe skin diseases - for example, atopic dermatitis, psoriasis, red lichen, seborrheic dermatitis and others.The cause of the disease may be progressive malignant neoplasms( for example, colon cancer or leukemia) and forced long-term use of certain drugs( sulfanilamide series, antibacterial drugs).Table of contents: Symptoms of exfoliative dermatitis Treatment of exfoliative dermatitis Preventative measures
Symptoms of exfoliative dermatitis
Note: exfoliative dermatitis rarely occurs suddenly, with complete health of the patient.This skin disease in 99% of cases is a consequence of the progression of another skin pathology.
This disease has characteristic symptoms that will manifest itself differently depending on the stage of the flow.
The initial stage of exfoliative dermatitis has the following symptoms:
the upper layer of the skin becomes thinner;
- small bubbles with serous contents form in the skin lesions;
- with time bubbles begin to merge and burst - crusts are formed;
- the affected areas of the skin begin to be scrubbed intensively;
- skin patches appear with a pronounced thickening;
- affected areas blush.
These symptoms of the initial stage of exfoliative dermatitis occur against the background of the existing skin disease, otherwise it affects first the skin of the trunk, then the head and upper / lower extremities.
Symptoms of late stage of the disease in question:
- the nail plates are deformed and begin to fall out;
mucous membranes become excessively dry;
- hair on the head becomes thin, dry and falls out;
- body temperature rises;
- the affected skin areas begin to itch;
- heart rate increases;
- there is an increase in lymph nodes.
If exfoliative dermatitis develops against a background of leukemia or lymphoma, then the patients notice an increase in the spleen and liver, men start to increase their breasts, oily feces appear.
Note: if exfoliative dermatitis occurs when taking medications, you should immediately stop using them and seek professional medical help.If medicines are vital, then you can not stop taking them yourself, but you need to contact your doctor as soon as possible.
Treatment of exfoliative dermatitisRecommended to read:
Treatment of even the initial stage of the disease under consideration is only in a medical institution, outpatient treatment is not provided.If doctors managed to establish the exact cause of the development of exfoliative dermatitis, then it is necessary to treat the underlying( provoking) disease.In the case of an unexplained cause of the progression of exfoliative dermatitis, doctors prescribe symptomatic therapy to alleviate the condition of the patient.
General recommendations for the prescription of drug therapy for the disease in question:
- Introduction of solutions Hemodez or Polidez, 5% albumin solution - thus detoxification of the body is carried out.
- For parenteral nutrition, patients are prescribed Lipofundin.
- In particularly severe cases, doctors perform hemosorption and plasmapheresis.
- The use of glucocorticosteroid preparations, the dosage of which is selected individually, will be effective.First, the patient is given "shock" doses( when recalculating to prednisolone - 40-100 mg per day), and then this dose is reduced and transferred to a supportive therapy regimen.
- If the patient is diagnosed with the presence of any infection, antibiotic drugs( antibiotics) are included in the therapy.
- In order to remove the itching, patients are selected antihistamines - for example, Suprastin, Claritin or Tavegil.
Local preparations are well proven in the treatment of exfoliative dermatitis - these are ointments with glucocorticosteroids in the composition and moisturizing creams.They are applied daily to all affected areas of skin with a thin layer, but only under the supervision of the attending physician - in the composition of such medicines there are hormones that must be strictly dosed.
Note: if exfoliative dermatitis has developed against psoriasis or fungal mycosis, then patients are prescribed phototherapy.
Forecast doctors give a favorable only if the patient in a timely manner turned for professional medical help and experts have established the true cause of development of exfoliative dermatitis.
To prevent the development of the disease under consideration, the following expert recommendations should be adhered to:
- closely monitor the health of the skin and detect dermatitis in a timely manner;
- fully treat any skin diseases;
- to comply with the diet, which is recommended by the attending physician with the existing disease.
Exfoliative dermatitis is a rather unpleasant disease that requires long-term treatment and compliance with certain restrictive measures.But at the same time, doctors give a favorable prognosis provided they seek professional medical help.
Tsygankova Yana Aleksandrovna, medical reviewer, therapist of the highest qualification category