How to treat cheilitis on the lips?
Halite is an inflammatory disease that manifests itself on the upper layer of the epidermis.It affects the mucous membrane of the mouth, the skin on the lips, chin and nasolabial area.The disease is very common, especially in the cold or dry season.A person of any age and social status can suffer from cheilitis.
This pathology is not life threatening, but it causes a lot of unpleasant moments, pain and discomfort to the ill.Lips affected by the inflammatory disease look ugly, flaky, attract many negative views.Contents: Why is cheilitis formed?Types of cheilitis Treatment of cheilitis
Why is cheilitis formed?
Doctors-specialists distinguish a large number of negative factors of internal and external environment, leading to inflammatory processes in the mucous membrane of the lips, on the skin around them, and the subsequent formation of cheilitis.
According to recent studies, the pathology can cause:
- A sharp temperature drop, cold, dry wind or, conversely, intense heat for several days.Negative impact of natural forces leads to the fact that the lips can crack, become obfuscated and become inflamed.
- Corking of pores and outflow ducts in layers of the lip epidermis with various aggressive cosmetic substances, for example, lanolin particles, which is found in many cosmetics for the lips.
- Allergic reaction and manifestations of various skin diseases: non-hazardous, but unfavorable looking dermatoses or psoriasis.
- Disorders of the normal functioning of the hormonal system of the body: diseases that result in a non-normalized hormonal background or age changes( transitional age, menopause, pregnancy).
- Pathologies of the gastrointestinal tract.Violation of metabolism, absorption and digestion processes leads to a significant reduction in the intake of nutrients to the skin and mucous membranes, as well as vitamin deficiency.Without the necessary regular nutrition, the skin becomes cracked, and any aggressive environmental factors react with the appearance of keratinization and inflammation.
- Decrease in the protective reaction of the body, a sharp drop in immunity.
- Neurogenic diseases: neuroses, psychoses, stresses, constant excitement.
Depending on the cause that provoked the inflammation on the lips, the specialist doctors determine the type of the pathology that has arisen and prescribe the most rational treatment.
Types of cheilitis
Depending on what was the main factor of inflammation, the specialist specialists subdivide cheilitis into the following types:
- Catarrhal.It is formed due to the appearance of small wounds, abrasions and cracks on the lips of any etiology: getting pathogenic microorganisms or chemical agents.
- Hypovitaminosis.It arises from the lack of vitamins and minerals necessary for the normal functioning of the skin.In addition to inflammation on the lips and skin around them, to the main symptoms of cheilitis of this type, you can add a general peeling of the skin on the face and dryness of the surface of the tongue.
- Exfoliative.Type of cheilitis, characterized by severe skin peeling, swelling, swelling, pain.In some cases, exfoliative cheilitis may even fester if not treated on time.
- Atopic.With this type of pathology, the main zone of damage becomes the lip rim.She strongly blushes, flakes and itches.
- Gradular cheilitis.This type of disease is characterized by very clearly manifested symptoms and signs.The mucous membrane is covered with red, inflamed, itchy spots, the skin cracks and peels off, possibly even cystic formation in the glands.This type of cheilitis is most often provoked by a lack of purity on the skin of the lips, disregard for the rules of personal hygiene, various dental diseases.
Treatment depends largely on the form and severity of the disease.
Treatment of cheilitis
Getting rid of an inflammatory disease on the lips is not only to eliminate unpleasant symptoms, but also to treat the underlying internal pathology that provoked the formation of cheilitis .It will take not only the reception inside and applying to the surface of the lips of pharmaceuticals, but also the use of cosmetic uhodovyh means that give the skin of the lips softness, radiance, elasticity and elasticity.
Depending on the underlying inflammation that triggered the pathology, specialist doctors, after consultation and thorough analysis, may be prescribed antiallergic agents( Cetrin, Zodak), sedatives( Afobazol, Novo-Passit), or various drugs that affect internal protective forcesOrganism and strengthening immunity( Tsikloferon, Tsitovir).
In order for the skin to function properly, it will be necessary to provide the body with a large number of vitamins and microelements necessary to preserve the health of the skin.In this case, you need to pick up in the pharmacy vitamin-mineral complex( Special Merz Dragee, Complicant Shine, etc.), containing a large number of different active substances, without which the beauty of the skin can not survive.Modern pharma market has a large number of options for every taste, purse and wishes for the form of release.
For direct exposure directly to wounds, cracks and inflammations, use antiseptic and healing ointments( Bepanten Plus, Acriderm SK), external preparations that can remove inflammation( tetracycline ointment, Flucinar) or creams that have anti-allergic and decongestants( Prednisolone, Hydrocortisone) .The choice of the external remedy depends on the cause that provoked cheilitis, and the stage of the development of the disease.
Additional measures for the treatment of cheilitis are daily washing with warm water with a mild, preferably baby soap.
After the healing process begins and the small wounds are tightened, you can start using balms and creams that help soften the skin, nourish it with nutrients and speed up the restoration of the former beauty of the lips. It is best to give preference to products containing a large amount of hyaluronic acid, chamomile extracts or aloe vera, or pay attention to ointments and lotions with a high content of vitamins A and E - the most important substances for skin nutrition.
In the future, to protect yourself from the adverse effects of internal and external factors on the health of your lips will help regular care, compliance with personal hygiene and attentive attitude to their health.
Saponenko Marina, dermatologist