How to get rid of heartburn during pregnancy: folk remedies and diet
Traditional methods of treating heartburn in pregnant women help to improve the well-being of a future mother without harm to her baby.According to statistics, about 80% of pregnant women suffer from heartburn.How to choose the most effective and thus sparing means for struggle against the given illness?Table of contents:
Causes of heartburn in pregnant women
Heartburn is an inflammatory process of the mucous membranes in the lower esophageal region.
Physicians identify the following causes that can trigger the development of this disease in expectant mothers:
- Increased uterine size, it leads to increased pressure on nearby organs.
- Increase in acidity of gastric secretions.
- Intensive production of progesterone, leading to weakening of the muscles of internal organs, including the sphincter, localized between the esophagus and the stomach.
Note: In most cases, problems with heartburn pass by itself in the third trimester, which is due to the lower abdomen and decreased production of the hormone progesterone!
Despite the fact that, in the opinion of the majority of doctors, heartburn in bearing a baby does not require any special treatment, this ailment can deliver a lot of discomfort and unpleasant sensations to the expectant mother!In order to facilitate her condition, without resorting to medical assistance, the patient can take advantage of extremely safe and time-tested folk remedies!
Folk remedies for heartburn during pregnancy
Unconventional methods for treating heartburn in pregnant women should be followed when the next mama has the following unpleasant clinical symptoms:
- nausea and vomiting;
- burning sensations in the larynx;
- an unpleasant bitter or sour taste in the mouth;
- sensations of discomfort and heaviness in the abdomen;
- abdominal distention;
- stool disorders.
Important! The signs listed above may also occur with other diseases of the gastrointestinal tract.Therefore, at occurrence of any disturbing signs, the future mum it is necessary to address for professional consultation to the qualified expert!
Popular recipes for folk medicine
The use of any medications for a woman who expects the baby to be born is highly discouraged. To ease the general condition and eliminate the painful symptoms characteristic of heartburn, a pregnant woman can use safe folk remedies.
We present to your attention several of the most effective and popular recipes from the box of traditional medicine:
- In a glass of warmed milk, add a few drops of fennel oil and a pinch of crushed almonds.Stir the mixture thoroughly and drink in small sips.
- Carrots help to eliminate burning sensation and discomfort in the esophagus.For medicinal purposes, you need to peel medium-sized carrots, chop it with a small grub and eat with the appearance of unpleasant symptoms inherent in heartburn.
- Kissel has a pronounced enveloping action, and therefore has a calming effect on the inflamed mucous membranes.When symptoms of heartburn occur, the future mother should drink a glass of jelly( about 200 milliliters).A similar action has a fresh potato juice.
Important ! Use only domestic jelly, prepared from natural ingredients, to combat heartburn.Store products not only will not have any curative effect, but they can also harm the future baby, since they contain dyes, artificial flavors, flavor enhancers and other chemical components.
- A teaspoon of sunflower oil, taken on an empty stomach( preferably in the morning hours), has a positive effect on the functioning of the gastrointestinal tract, helps to ease the patient's condition and prevent new attacks of heartburn.
- The ginger root helps to stop the attack, which is necessary, carefully and slowly, chew at the appearance of the first signs characteristic of heartburn.
- To ease the condition, you can drink a glass of mineral water with a volley( it is best to use Borjomi's healing water for this purpose).
- A tablespoon of apple vinegar essence should be diluted in half a glass of warm water, and then add 1 teaspoon of honey.Drink the medicine after eating, once a day.
Emergency Traditional Medicine
In the event that the most gentle methods of fighting heartburn at home have not had the desired effect, you can try more effective methods. Systematically use them during pregnancy is not worth it, but with a sharp attack they will come to the future mother very opportunely.
In acute cases, it is necessary to put a pinch of salt under the tongue.In the process of swallowing salted saliva, special enzyme substances are released that can neutralize hydrochloric acid, which helps to eliminate heartburn.
Note: is forbidden for pregnant women to consume large amounts of salt, so use this method only in exceptional cases!
Soda solution is an effective and powerful remedy for heartburn, it helps to stop an attack in the shortest possible time.For such purposes, it is necessary to dilute 1 tsp.Soda in warm water and drink the resulting solution.Use this tool very carefully, because soda can trigger the appearance of swelling, as well as the violation of acid-base balance in the gastrointestinal tract.
Important !Before applying any, even the most innocuous at first glance, folk recipes, the expectant mother is strongly recommended to consult with your doctor!
Potato therapy for heartburn
Potato starch is characterized by a pronounced enveloping properties, and therefore potatoes have long been used as a means to combat heartburn.Prepare a potato medicine is extremely simple.It is necessary to peel a large potato, grind it on a large grater, and then squeeze juice through the gauze.Take the drug should be 2 tablespoons, about half an hour before meals.
Please note: Only freshly squeezed potato juice has medicinal properties!
In order to achieve extremely favorable, stable results, to future mothers, folk medicine recommends taking the next course of potato therapy :
- For 10 days, every morning start with a glass of freshly squeezed potato juice, which you take half an hour before breakfast.
- Take a break for 10 days, then repeat the treatment course.
The optimal duration of therapy against heartburn with potato juice while waiting for the baby is about 2 months!
Juniper from heartburn
Juniper Folk medicine is considered an effective and popular means for fighting heartburn. A seizure attack will help inhale the juniper essential oil added to the aromatic lamp.
For chronic disease form, get juniper seeds.Start the therapeutic course with chewing three seeds throughout the day.Every day, increase the dosage by one seed.After a week, begin to reduce the number of juniper seeds, just one seed per day.If necessary, the therapeutic course can be repeated.
Diet against heartburn for expectant mothers
In order to combat the occurrence of heartburn was successful, pregnant women need to combine folk methods in accordance with the following principles of dietary nutrition:
- Maximum limit the content of the daily diet of fatty, spicy, acidic andFried food.
- Refuse the use of sweets, confectionery and bakery products.Daily drink two glasses of freshly squeezed fruit or vegetable juices.
- Adhere to the fractional power scheme: eat 5-6 times throughout the day, in small portions.
- Discard the late dinner.The last meal should be no later than 2-3 hours before going to bed.
- Refrain from consuming carbonated, tea, coffee drinks.
Products against heartburn
Nutritionists identify a number of foods that interfere with the formation of acids.
Future mothers suffering from heartburn should definitely include in their daily diet such products:
- fresh green vegetables;
- milk and sour-milk products;
- dried apricots;
- are cereals;
- macaroni of solid grades.
But from using lamb, tomatoes, chocolate, hard varieties of cheese, onions, garlic, mustard, smoked products and citrus fruits, you will temporarily abstain, as they can trigger the occurrence of heartburn!
Please note: adjusting your diet and adhering to the principles of dietary nutrition, you not only get rid of heartburn, but also improve overall health, which is extremely useful for the future baby!
As a result of heartburn, the future mother may well use the following recipes based on medicinal herbs:
- The root of the ayr( tablespoon) should be chopped and poured with boiling water.Leave to infuse for 7-10 minutes, then strain and drink on the throat, before each meal.
- Heather( tablespoon) should be poured a glass of boiling water and cook for a few minutes over low heat.Then the broth should be filtered and drunk 1 tbsp.Spoon, three times during the day.
- 1/2 tsp wormwood pour half a glass of water and leave to infuse in a warm place.After two days, the broth should be filtered and drunk, divided into two meals.
- A couple of spoons of dried mint should be poured with boiling water and brewed like ordinary tea.Add a pair of currant and spring leaves.This healing drink is recommended to drink 3 glasses throughout the day.
Note: has a good therapeutic effect in combating heartburn, such healing herbs as dill, St. John's wort, gentian and plantain.Decoctions of these plants can be drunk daily, instead of the usual tea!
Note that not all herbs recommended by folk medicine for heartburn are equally safe for a woman expecting a baby, so it is advisable to coordinate a course of phytotherapy with your doctor!
In order for the folk remedies to be as effective and effective as possible during pregnancy, the following simple recommendations of should be observed by future mothers:
- Wear loose clothing so as not to pinch the abdomen.Sleep
- on a raised cushion.
- Do not bend over and lie down immediately after a meal, in order to avoid possible food ingestion into the esophagus.
- Avoid stressful situations and psychoemotional shocks, as neurological disorders can cause heartburn.
- Avoid overeating and gaining excess weight.
- Eat slowly, thoroughly chewing food.
- Maintain an active lifestyle, performing physical exercise on a daily basis.
Traditional methods of treating heartburn in pregnant women are based on the use of infusions and decoctions of medicinal herbs, as well as observance of the principles of healthy nutrition.Keeping an active lifestyle, a normal sleep, rejection of bad habits and abundant food will help to get rid of the manifestations characteristic of heartburn, improve the general well-being of the future mother, and will also benefit her baby!
Elena Sovinskaya, dietitian