Yellow coating on the child's tongue: causes and treatment
The appearance of a yellow plaque on a child's tongue can really upset parents, as this can be a symptom of quite dangerous pathologies.What is true when it comes to seeking qualified medical care and how to deal with the phenomenon under consideration?Table of contents: What is a plaque in the language? Causes of yellow plaque in a child's language? A child's examination in yellow tongue in a language. Treatment of yellow plaque in a child's language
What is a plaque in
In a child's language,The adult, constantly formed a plaque - between the papillae of the tongue the remains of food are retained, which creates optimal conditions for the growth and reproduction of bacterial colonies.The main components of the plaque in the language are the bacteria themselves, saliva, the ejaculated epithelium of the oral mucosa, leukocytes, the products of the vital activity of bacteria, the remains of food.All children have a plaque on the tongue, in norm it should be light, transparent, whitish, through it the relief of the tongue is perfectly visible.But no yellow shade in the plaque should not be, except in cases where the staining of the plaque occurs against the background of the use of certain products.
Products that color the tongue in yellow:
- carrots, oranges, pineapple, pumpkin, apricot, persimmon and other vegetables / fruits of intense yellow and orange color;
- fizzy drinks with a saturated color - for example, "Fanta";
- yogurts, caramels, confectionery creams, candies, ice cream - these products contain artificial colors that color the plaque on the tongue;
- tea and coffee;
- curry, saffron and other seasonings of bright yellow color.
Parents will be able to independently determine that the yellow coating on the language of the child appeared against the background of the use of certain products:
- an uncharacteristic shade was seen in the child's language suddenly and immediately after eating;
- the plaque is perfectly cleaned with a toothbrush and does not reappear.
Causes of yellow plaque in the child's tongue
If the plaque in question is kept in the tongue for a long time, is a dense, thick mass and accompanied by an unpleasant odor from the mouth, this will be a sign of progressive disorders in the body.
Please note! Language refers to the organs of the digestive system and in most cases the color change of its surface is associated with diseases of the gastrointestinal tract( for example, it can be pancreatitis, cholecystitis, hepatitis, gastritis, colitis, peptic ulcer).
In case of pathological lesions of the digestive system, the child will complain of a lack of appetite, pain in the abdomen or hypochondrium, and stools. But there are other causes of yellow plaque in the child's language:
- Overeating and / or eating on the eve of a large amount of fatty foods.Such an unhealthy diet significantly increases the load on the entire gastrointestinal tract, and in the morning the child may naturally have dry mouth, nausea and yellow plaque on the tongue.
- Infectious diseases.As a rule, all of them are accompanied by an increase in body temperature, and this provokes the appearance of a plaque on the tongue.In some cases, the plaque may be a yellow tint.High body temperature, vomiting and diarrhea on the background of infectious diseases are accompanied not only by the yellow-brown coating on the tongue, but also by the appearance of bleeding microcracks on it.
- Poisoning.In this case, there is a pathological damage to the liver, intoxication of the body and rapid dehydration.It is this state of the digestive system that leads to the appearance of yellow color in the plaque in the language of the child.
- Jaundice.In this state, the tongue and the surrounding mucous membranes are not stained in yellow.Moreover, the condition in question will be present during the progression of any type of jaundice - hemorrhagic, physiological.
- Angina, caries, stomatitis, gingivitis, glossitis.These are local inflammatory processes in the mouth of the child, under which there can be not only a yellow coating on the tongue, but also pathological changes on the mucous membranes( for example, stomatitis will form aphthous ulcers).
- Somatic pathologies.We are talking about serious diseases - for example, autoimmune pathological processes, kidney and urinary system diseases, diabetes mellitus.They are accompanied by metabolic disturbances and intoxication, which leads to the appearance of the condition under consideration.
It is impossible to find out the cause of the appearance of yellow plaque in a child's language only through his examination, even the most experienced doctor can not do this.Yellow plaque does not have any specific characteristics for a single pathology, so the child will have to undergo a complete examination.
Examination of a child with yellow plaque in the language
Within the framework of diagnostic measures, the following are provided:
- endocrinologist consultation;
- general analysis of blood / urine / feces;
- consultation of the dentist;
- ultrasound examination of the organs of the gastrointestinal tract;
- consultation of a gastroenterologist;
- biochemical blood test with the determination of the level of bilirubin, glucose, urea, creatinine and other indicators.
It is not necessary to perform all of these procedures when a yellow plaque appears in the child's language, first the pediatrician should visit the parents who, after examining the child, will assign the necessary tests and consultations.
Treatment of yellow plaque in the language of the child
If we consider the yellow plaque in the language of the child in the context of treatment, then to take any measures to eliminate it is completely useless unless the cause of such a phenomenon is clarified and eliminated.You need to treat the underlying disease, and after recovery or even during therapy, the yellow plaque on the tongue will disappear on its own.
For the purpose of hygiene, elimination of plaque and bad breath from the child's mouth, doctors recommend the following:
- With each tooth brushing, the child must also clean the surface of the tongue.To do this, you can use a conventional toothbrush or special, with a grooved surface.
- After each meal, the baby should thoroughly rinse the mouth with warm water.
- If possible, exclude from the baby's diet products that can color the plaque in the language yellow.It is necessary to adjust the diet of the child to prevent frequent and large amounts of consumption of fatty foods.
Yellow plaque on a child's tongue can be physiological and pathological in nature.If parents notice the phenomenon in question and do not associate it with the use of certain products, then it is necessary to contact the doctor with the child.Only a specialist can establish the true cause of the occurrence of yellow plaque in the tongue and prescribe an effective treatment for the underlying disease.
Tsygankova Yana Aleksandrovna, medical reviewer, therapist of the highest qualification category