Pain in the left hypochondrium: causes and possible diseases
Pain arising in the left hypochondrium region is an alarming signal of the body, indicating the development of some pathology.This may be a malfunction of the GI system, urinary, cardiovascular, thoracic spine and other disorders.Therefore, it is difficult to determine the disease by yourself.Only a detailed description of the nature and degree of pain will allow the doctor to identify the true cause of the onset of pain syndrome.Contents: Diseases that provoke pain in the left hypochondrium Pain in the left hypochondrium during inspiration. What is the nature of the pain in the left hypochondrium? How will the pathology be determined in the place of pain localization? Pain in the left hypochondrium after eating.
Diseases that provoke pain in the left hypochondrium
pneumonia is considered to be one of the most obvious causes of such painful manifestations.The degree of pain is aggravated by attacks of dry cough, heavy breathing.Increased sweating, alternating with chills and weakness, further confirms the presence of this disease in humans.
Intercostal neuralgia can also cause pain under the left rib.There are unpleasant sensations at the time of squeezing nerves.They can be sharp, piercing, aching.The discomfort on the left under the ribs is amplified at the time of coughing, deep inspiration, sudden turn or pressure on the left side of the trunk.
Pain in ulcers and gastritis is often accompanied by heartburn, vomiting, and vomiting.Depending on the type of gastritis, it can occur both before and after eating and have a different nature and degree of intensity.With an ulcer, weight loss is noticeable.The development of such a formidable complication, as perforation of , is accompanied by the formation of a through hole, through which the contents of the stomach can enter the peritoneum.At the same time there is a sudden sharp dagger pain, quite strong tension of the muscles of the abdominal wall, tachycardia, fever, vomiting with black or bloody contents.Severe pain causes the patient to take the embryo posture - lie on his side and pull his legs under him.Sometimes a person loses consciousness.
When stomach cancer pain under the "spoon" or in the left hypochondrium has a protracted character, appears, regardless of eating, but against the background of a general decrease in appetite.In this case, there are vomiting and expectoration of yellowish thick mucus, and in later periods - a change in the color of feces to dark.
Ischemic heart disease, cardiomyopathy may well provoke pain syndrome under the left ribs.The nature of pain is different.The usual location is the heart area, but in a number of cases - it can irradiate in the hypochondrium.
Pain in the left hypochondrium with inspiration
This type of pain syndrome is most often manifested after severe physical injuries, falls, inflicted bodily injuries, with fractured ribs.
In a number of cases, intercostal neuralgia and Tietze syndrome, an inflammation of the cartilages that connect the ribs to the sternum, can lead to pain during inspiration.
Another cause is inflammation of the pleural membranes of the lungs or a bacterial infection( staphylococcus aureus, streptococcus, E. coli) that affects the pleura.
As evidenced by the nature of pain in the left hypochondrium
Let's take a closer look at the characterization of painful manifestations on the left side of the hypochondrium.
For a long time dull pain may indicate such diseases as chronic cholecystitis, gastritis, pancreatitis.In addition, aching pain causes suspicions of angina pectoris, which may be a harbinger of a developing infarction.
Sudden manifestation of by sharp stitching pain is a dangerous signal for a person.Such pain in the left hypochondrium indicates serious abnormalities in the functioning of the digestive tract.It should be a good reason to call a doctor and then assess the condition of the spleen and renal pelvis.
If the sensations under the left rib have the character of the shingling pain , then one can suspect acute pancreatitis, neuralgia in the rib area, osteochondrosis of the thoracic vertebra.
How to determine the pathology of the site of pain localization
Pain in the left hypochondrium in the front can indicate such pathologies as:
- Inflammation of intercostal muscles , caused by an infectious disease - shingles, or hypothermia;
- pathology of the spleen - its increase, resulting from organ damage by viral, bacterial infectious agents or as a consequence of spleen infarction;
- angina , associated with a decrease in the flow of blood to the heart;
- costal chondrite , indicative of inflammation of the cartilaginous tissue after heavy physical exertion or trauma.
Appearances of pain in the left hypochondrium from the rear may indicate:
- kidney disease;
- lumbar osteochondrosis;
- oncology in the left lung;
- left-sided dry pleurisy.
Pains in the left hypochondrium from the side can be provoked:
- heart disease;
- diseases of the digestive system;
- with left kidney diseases,
- by ureter pathologies,
- in women with diseases of uterine appendages.
Pain in the left hypochondrium after eating
If you notice that the pain is most likely to occur after eating, analyze your diet.Often the cause of such conditions is overeating, alcohol abuse, the use of poor-quality food in the diet, in addition - the constant physical overload.At the initial stage of development of pathologies, it is enough simply to return to a healthy lifestyle, and the pains will pass by themselves.
More serious causes of pain in the left hypochondrium after eating include the following pathologies:
- peptic ulcer,
- pinched or hernia diaphragm.
In this case:
- Exhaustive, dull, prolonged pain, as a rule, is the result of inflammation of the gastric mucosa - gastritis.This disease is indirectly indicated by diarrhea, a feeling of bursting, vomiting and / or eructation with an unpleasant odor.
- Stitching acute pain immediately after a very small meal indicates the presence of tumors or hernias of the diaphragm.Often unpleasant sensations in this case are aggravated by shortness of breath.
- Shooting acute pain that occurs after eating, and at other times, and is enhanced by inhaling or turning the trunk - a sign of intercostal neuralgia.
- An unbearable, sharp pain, disturbing only after eating, is a vivid symptom of pancreatitis.Sharp pain in acute pancreatitis can lead to even painful shock.With purulent pancreatitis, vomiting occurs in parallel with a sharp increase in body temperature.
- Constant aching pain after eating is evidence of duodenal pathologies.With ulcer of the duodenum, additional symptoms of the disease can be a sudden change in the composition, a worsening of appetite, the appearance of vomiting attacks or nausea.
Summarizing the , , we focus on the fact that when pain occurs in the left hypochondrium, it is very important to contact in a timely manner.This will prevent the further development of serious enough, and sometimes even life-threatening diseases.
Bezik Julia, medical reviewer