Wetting navel in newborns: treatment and prevention of omphalitis
After discharge from the maternity hospital, the mother is left alone with her child and faces the need to care for him.Some phenomena can frighten a woman, in particular, many young mothers do not know how to properly care for the umbilical wound.Often, babies have a problem in the form of a navel navel, how to deal with it?Table of contents: Symptoms of a ducked navel in newborns Symptoms of purulent omphalitis in newborns Treatment of a duckling navel in newborns What is unnecessary to do with a sinking navel?
Symptoms of a wet navel
In the first minutes after birth, the baby's cord is clamped with a clip and cut.The umbilical cordoid remains normal within two to four days.In its place, the umbilical wound is formed, which is covered with a crust.Full healing of the navel occurs within two to three weeks.
Normally, the process of healing the umbilical wound can be accompanied by a slight mopping and the formation of yellowish crusts. But in the case of pronounced wetness and poor healing of the umbilical wound, they speak of the development of catarrhal omphalitis( a wet navel).
In the development of omphalitis, bacteria( staphylo- and streptococci, Escherichia coli) are to blame, which penetrate the tissues through the umbilical remnant or umbilical wound.The vital activity of bacteria leads to the development of inflammation.
Symptoms of catarrhal omphalitis( a wet navel) are:
- Transparent serous or serous-spotting discharge from the umbilical wound;
- Redness of the umbilical ring;
- Poor healing of the umbilicus - after falling off of the crusts, an erosive skin surface is uncovered, which is not epithelialized, but is again covered with crusts.
With prolonged sowing, the granulation tissue of the mushroom form can grow - this is called the fungus of the navel.Catarrhal omphalitis does not affect the general condition of the child.This form of the disease is most favorable and is often found among newborns.
Symptoms of purulent omphalitis in newborns
If the discharge from the umbilical wound becomes yellow, thick, this indicates the development of purulent omphalitis .At the same time, the skin around the navel swells and turns red.When the inflammation spreads to the perepodal region develops asphalitis , which is characterized by pronounced edema, redness around the navel, and protrusion of the umbilical region.The skin around the navel is hot to the touch, with pus pressure on this area pus follows.
The complication of this form of the disease is necrotic omphalitis .This is a very rare condition, often found in weakened babies.With necrotic omphalitis, the inflammatory process spreads deep into the tissues.The skin in the umbilical region becomes purple-cyanotic and soon exfoliates from the underlying tissues with the formation of a large wound.This is the most severe form of omphalitis, which can lead to the onset of sepsis.
Purulent omphalitis is severe, children become sluggish, suck badly, there is a fever.Fortunately, purulent forms of omphalitis are rare.
Prophylaxis and treatment of the canker umbilicus in newborns
If the parents are faced with such a problem, as the muzzling of the navel, you need to turn to the pediatrician.The doctor will process the umbilical wound and teach this manipulation of the parents.With catarrhal omphalitis( a ducking umbilicus), the doctor can also treat the disease at home.However, with purulent forms of omphalitis, hospitalization of the baby is mandatory.
Treatment and prevention of the collapsible navel is carried out as follows:
- Before handling, wash hands with soap and water;
- Two or three drops of 3% hydrogen peroxide are applied to the umbilical cord with a sterile pipette;
- Then with a cotton swab is carried on the surface and the bottom of the umbilical wound, thereby removing crusts;
- At the end, process the umbilical wound with a clean cotton swab moistened with a 2% solution of greenery( or 1% alcoholic eucalyptus solution, 5% potassium permanganate solution).
All newborns need to undergo this procedure once a day until the umbilical wound is fully healed.Babies with a ducking navel can be manipulated two or three times a day.
Fungus of the navel is treated by cauterizing the granulations with a 5% solution of silver nitrate.In the case of phlegmonous omphalitis, the baby is prescribed antibiotics inwards, as well as externally in the form of ointments.In the necrotic form of the disease, in addition to antibacterial treatment, surgical excision of necrotic tissue is performed.
What is not necessary to do with a sinking navel?
Unfortunately, not always good intentions lead to faster recovery.So, some manipulations can further exacerbate poor healing of the umbilical wound.
What mistakes parents often make when nursing a baby's umbilicus?
- Should refrain from bathing the baby in the bathtub.Toddler enough to wipe every day with a wet towel.
- Do not cover the umbilical cord with plaster, diapers, clothing.The contact of the skin with air contributes to the drying of the wound.
- Try to tear off crusts by force.
- Treat wound with an antiseptic more often than advised by a doctor.
Grigorova Valeria, medical reviewer