How to prepare a child for vaccination
Vaccination is the only reliable way to protect a child from severe infections.Measles, whooping cough, diphtheria, poliomyelitis, tetanus and other diseases can become not only the cause of a person's disability, but also lead to death.And if the parents clearly adhere to the vaccination schedule, they should know everything about the preparation for vaccination.Table of contents: Absolute health If the child is allergic General recommendations in preparation for DPT, BCG, IPV and OPV
Pediatricians knowingly, when examining a child before vaccination, ask parents how long the patient has had colds for a long time.The fact is that even an ordinary acute respiratory viral infection that occurs on the background of vaccination can lead to serious complications - for example, to pneumonia( inflammation of the lung tissue).Therefore, parents should remember the following:
- For 2-3 days before the appointed date of vaccination, stop going out with the baby "to the light" - theaters, playgrounds, shopping centers can become a "crowd" of sick people.The incubation period of the cold and flu is a maximum of 3 days and at the time of vaccination the baby will already be a patient without visible symptoms.
- If a child visits a preschool or goes to private classes, it is better to give up in the pre-vaccination period - 2-3 days the baby will stay at home, but the risk of developing a complicated course of the post-vaccination period will be minimized.For example, from a kindergarten it is possible to take a child on Wednesday, on Friday to carry out vaccination, and by Monday the reaction of the child's organism to an inoculation will be already clear.
- The regimen of the day before the appointed vaccination date should also not be reinforced / strained.The child should be full, but not overfed, to introduce a new product into the diet is not necessary - the reaction of the digestive system is unpredictable.
If the child is allergic
Allergy is not at all a contraindication to vaccination - you just need to know the nuances of vaccination from infections to allergic children. Parents should pay attention to the following points:
- Vaccination can be performed only during remission - no manifestations of allergy should be present for 3 weeks.
- 3 days before the appointed date of vaccination, the doctor can recommend taking antihistamines to the baby and it's better to give up Tavegil and Suprastin - they dry the mucous membrane, which is undesirable when the body temperature rises( which usually happens immediately after the vaccination).
- In order to prevent the development of postvaccinal allergy 3 days prior to vaccination, the child should stop taking medications with vitamin D.
- To ease the condition of an allergic child after vaccination, calcium will help - it should be started 2-3 days before vaccination.
General recommendations for preparation for DTP, BCG, IPV and OPV
Of course, before the vaccination the child should be examined by a pediatrician and, in case of suspicion of the presence of any diseases, a deeper examination will be assigned to the baby.Parents have the right to inquire about the quality of the vaccine, but it is unlikely to influence the choice - the responsibility for the quality of the vaccine being administered falls solely on the medical institution.
Parents should remember the following:
- On the day of vaccination, the child must necessarily empty the intestines - constipation can lead to a severe course of the post-institutional period.You can give the baby a laxative, but it's better just to put in the rectum special candles - they have an exclusively directed action.
- If the child behaves inadequately on the day of vaccination, then it is necessary to inform the pediatrician about it - it is unlikely that the doctor will guess that there was hysterics instead of a day's sleep, and the boy flatly refused to eat breakfast.Such nuances can become an excuse for postponing vaccination - it will take several days to observe the state of the child's health in order to be convinced of its absoluteness.
- In anticipation of the turnaround for vaccination, it is better not to sit with the baby in the corridor of the polyclinic, but to go out into the fresh air - someone from the relatives should wait in line for solitude.The fact is that there are children with viral infections in polyclinics - it will not be difficult to get infected.If there are no "support groups" from relatives, then you should take a physiological solution with a spray and every 10-15 minutes to do one injection into a spout - this will prevent infection.
Important: many parents believe that cold symptoms in the post-vaccination period are the result of vaccination.But in fact, this development is due to the long-term presence of the baby in the polyclinic next to the sick children.
- Immediately after vaccination, do not rush to go home, but take a walk near the clinic for 30 minutes - this time is enough to determine the state of the child, and with the slightest deviation, it is better to consult a pediatrician for advice.
Already after the vaccination, it is necessary to closely monitor the state of health of the child - if the temperature rises even to a low-grade index( 37 degrees), antipyretic drugs should be given.If the hyperthermia reaches high levels, the baby behaves inadequately( crying, refusing to eat, often asking for a toilet, drowsiness), then you should immediately seek medical help.
Ideally, you need to invite health workers to your home for vaccination, but in the real world it is still a dream.Therefore, parents should be as competent as possible to prepare for vaccination - the vaccination for the child should be extremely beneficial.
About the preparation of the child for vaccination in his video blog tells the famous pediatrician Dr. Komarovsky:
Tsygankova Yana Alexandrovna, medical reviewer, therapist of the highest qualification category