Nebulizers for coughing
Cough is a frequent and familiar symptom to all, without exception, which occurs with a variety of respiratory( respiratory) system diseases.It gives a person a lot of inconvenience and requires taking urgent measures to eliminate it.To get rid of cough, it is advisable to do inhalations with the use of a variety of medicines.
More recently, at home, we could only do steam inhalations, but now there are convenient and practical nebulizer devices available for sale.They provide dispersion spraying of a liquid preparation, previously filled into a special container of the device.In the process of working the drug is converted into an aerosol with a certain particle size.
Note: should always be examined and receive the advice of a general practitioner or pulmonary specialist before using a nebulizer during coughing.Only a doctor is able to competently pick the most suitable drug for you and determine the necessary dosages, the time of individual procedures and the total duration of the course treatment.
Preparing for inhalation with a nebulizer for coughing
When preparing for an inhalation with a nebulizer for a cough, try to follow several rules:
- Inhalation with a nebulizer for coughing should be done no earlier than 1.5 hours after eatingOr any more or less significant physical exertion.
- Before starting the procedure, measure body temperature( especially if you feel a general malaise).At subfebrile temperature( not exceeding 37.5 ° C), inhalation can be done, but if this indicator is higher, then it is better to abstain from these treatment procedures.
- If you are rinsing with antiseptics or taking expectorants, you should maintain a one-hour interval before using the nebulizer.
- Wear loose clothing that will not impede breathing.
Please note: must be abandoned for smoking for the entire period of course therapy.If you can not give up this addiction, then at least do not smoke for an hour before inhalation.
- Observe the basic rules of hygiene!Before preparing the device for work, always wash your hands with warm water and soap.The device must be assembled in accordance with the enclosed operating instructions.When the unit is assembled, place the batteries in the socket or connect the nebulizer to the AC mains.
- Make sure that the reservoir of the device is absolutely sealed.Fill it with plain water and make sure there is no leakage.Wipe the nebulizer breathing mask with a clean damp cloth and prepare a normal cotton towel.
- In the inhaler, you must pour the medication prescribed to you in the dosage indicated by your doctor.Then pour into the tank saline( NaCl 0.9%) or water( always sterile, designed for injection).If the medicine was in the refrigerator, then it is advisable first to heat it to ambient temperature( you can use the so-called "water bath").
Important: for the preparation of an inhalation solution, regular tap water is unsuitable even after pre-boiling.
Sequence of use of preparations for inhalations with cough
If the attending physician has prescribed several medicines for inhalation, you must adhere to a certain sequence:
- First of all, inhalations with liquid bronchodilators are performed.
- After 20-25 minutes, you can do inhalation with a nebulizer with a mucolytic drug, i.e., a medicine diluting the secret( sputum).
- After a half-hour interval, they begin inhalation with anti-inflammatory or antibacterial drugs for coughing.
Note: immunomodulators are recommended to be used only as the clinical symptoms subsided, ie, during the period of convalescence( recovery).
How to inhalate when coughing with a nebulizer?
- Take a sitting position with your back straight.This will allow inhaled aerosol to freely reach all parts of the respiratory tract.
- Apply the respiratory mask as tightly as possible to the nasolabial triangle( or grasp the mouthpiece) and inhale the aerosol.
- In inhalations indicated in throat and pharyngeal diseases( laryngitis and pharyngitis), inhale through the mouth.With tracheitis, bronchitis and pneumonia, use the supplied mouthpiece.
- Inhale slowly and deeply.After inhaling, hold your breath for a couple of seconds, then exhale gently.
Note: the total duration of the procedure can be from 5 to 15 minutes.The optimal duration of inhalation by a nebulizer for cough is determined by the attending physician for each patient strictly individually.
After completion of the procedure, it is necessary to get wet with a prepared towel or rinse with warm water.If hormonal preparations were used for inhalation, it is recommended to rinse the oral cavity.After the inhalation is completed, the nebulizer should try not to talk for a while and sit quietly, without making sudden movements.
Important : If inhalation of the drug begins to cause dizziness, inhalation should be discontinued immediately.During the next procedure, it is recommended to breathe more slowly, but if the symptom develops and in this case, you need to report a side effect to the doctor.Perhaps, the question of changing the drug will be raised.
Medications for inhalation with nebulizer for cough
When appointing each drug, the doctor must take into account the clinical manifestations of the disease, the degree of their severity, as well as the individual characteristics of the patient's body( age, tolerability of medicines, etc.).
Depending on the cause of the cough appoint:
- With the weakening of the defenses of the body( for example, with an increased tendency to relapse of colds) recommended inhalation with immunomodulators.
- The diagnosed allergic nature of cough is the basis for prescribing hormonal, desensitizing( antiallergic) and bronchodilator drugs( Actovegin, Ventolin, Berodual, Salgim, etc.).
- If there is obstructive bronchitis or a dry cough in the background of other diseases, bronchodilator( bronchodilator-expanding) preparations( the foregoing, as well as Berotek, Salmbutamol, etc.) and anti-inflammatory drugs( Malavit, Tonsilong N, Rotokan, tinctures of propolis, calendula, Eucalyptus).In some cases, hormonal drugs are prescribed( Pulmicort, Dexamethasone).A wet cough is an indication for inhalations by a nebulizer with mucolytics( Mukaltin, ACTS, Ambroxol, Pertussin, narzan, Borzhomi, etc.).These drugs dilute sputum and facilitate its departure.
- If a symptom such as a cough appears against a bacterial infection, the patient is certainly shown anti-inflammatory( listed above) and antibacterial solutions( Gentamicin, Furacilin, Fluimycin, Chlorophyllite( alcoholic solution))
In some cases, forTreatment of cough inhalations with a nebulizer may be prescribed antitussive - Tussamag, as well as a 2% solution of lidocaine.
Which medications are not suitable for inhalation by a nebulizer?
For inhalations using a nebulizer it is not recommended to use:
- home infusions and decoctions of medicinal plants( often contain small particles that lead to damage to the apparatus);
- oil solutions;
- solutions Papaverin, Euphyllin and Dimedrol( not absorbed from the mucous membranes of the respiratory tract);
- non-sterile solutions.
Please note: preparations, which contain the essential oils of medicinal plants, can trigger an allergy attack, especially for young children!
More useful recommendations of specialists in cough treatment with nebulizers you will get by viewing this video review:
Konev Alexander Sergeevich, the therapist