Rough skin on elbows and knees: why does the skin on the elbows and knees get rough and flaky?
Jun 23, 2018
Elbows and knees are one of the most sensitive parts of the body.They are very sensitive, flexible, covered with a gentle, easily amenable skin.
When the upper layer of the epidermis on the knees and elbows is covered with dry, rough scaly skin, which gradually darkens, this leads to discomfort and unpleasant consequences.The dried skin is peeled off with ugly scales, the lower layer underneath is constantly irritated and reddens, the skin produces too much dark pigment in order to protect itself.
In especially neglected cases, due to dryness, the skin on the elbows and knees can even crack, forming small wounds that will suck and curl.Table of contents: Reasons for peeling skin on elbows Treatment of coarse skin Skin care at home
Reasons for peeling skin on elbows
There are several factors that contribute to thickening of the upper layer of the skin on mobile bone joints in the body:
- Lack of moisture.Dehydration, insufficient water intake to skin cells, violation of water-salt metabolism and metabolic processes lead to the fact that the most vulnerable skin areas on the body dry up, the cells become dead, keratinized and gradually move away from the tissues with unpleasant whitish layers of dead skin.
- Constant friction against uneven, rough surfaces, wearing clothes from coarse, unnatural, uncomfortable skin.Regular delivery of inconveniences to moving parts of the body with the help of mechanical action leads to the fact that the body is forced to protect itself from constant friction and thicken the skin on the most vulnerable areas.Excessive exposure to air and sun.It is known that dry, hot air, as well as gusty wind, can make the skin cringe and dry up.The regular action of direct sunlight also leads not only to the loss of moisture by the upper layer of the epidermis, but also to the pathological production of skin pigment melatonin, which stains the injured elbows and knees in an unpleasant dark color.
- The use of cosmetics and household chemicals containing aggressive substances, as well as the use of intensifying effect of lotions in the solarium.The active ingredients contained in cosmetic products are able to draw moisture from the skin, provoke an allergic reaction, cause itching and rejection, accompanied by peeling and changing the color of the skin on the elbows and knees.
If skin congestion causes too unpleasant discomfort, it occurs too often and causes fear, it is worth contacting a dermatologist for a reason. It may appear that any other skin pathology, for example, psoriasis, manifested itself in this way.
Treatment of coarse skin
Treatment of skin congestion and peeling will be the intensive moistening of the skin and giving it a healthy appearance .This will require the use not only of external moisturizers, but also to make together with a dermatologist physician an individual menu rich in products that contain useful vitamins and minerals.
Proper nutrition is the key to healthy skin.To maintain the necessary functions and sufficient replacement of substances for the active functioning of epidermal cells, large doses of vitamins A, E, C, D, K, as well as a sufficient number of antioxidants and protective microelements, such as zinc, selenium and phosphorus, will be required.
Together, these substances nourish the cell wall, normalize the activity of the skin on a histological level, increase the resistance and speed of cell repair, inhibit the processes of aging and destruction.Thanks to them, the skin retains a healthy and attractive appearance, remains rather soft and supple.
In order to receive these useful substances in doses sufficient for the normal functioning of skin cells, you need to eat dairy products, cereal cereals, white and gray bread from sifted flour, eggs, fish, white and dark meat, seafood, fruits,Vegetables, greens, nuts, cocoa.
Also for sufficient moisture, you need to drink at least 8 glasses of clean water per day .This will not only save the necessary dose of moisture to replenish the stock of cells, but also to remove toxic and harmful substances from the body.
If there is no possibility to keep a rich menu of vitamins and minerals, then you can pick up a multivitamin complex in a pharmacy, after consulting a pharmacist.Modern biologically active additives are presented in a wide range, it is possible to successfully select a useful vitamin-mineral complex, convenient for use and not too expensive for the family budget.
Skin care at home
Dry, darkened, flaky skin on elbows and knees requires careful, gentle, careful care.It will require a set of cosmetic products in order to restore her a healthy and beautiful look.
For restoration of coarse skin on the elbows and knees, the following tools are needed:
- Moisturizer for baths, preparing the skin for intensive exposure and softening it.The elbows are immersed in a bath with a remedy and left to act for 5-10 minutes.
- Soft scrub with cleansing particles to polish the skin and get rid of dry, dead cells.The scrub should contain a soft milk or healing essential oil, for example, sage or tea tree.After applying circular, massage movements on the skin for several minutes, scrub thoroughly rinse with warm water.
- Moisturizing cream containing active regenerating components: extracts of aloe, chamomile, panthenol, large doses of vitamins A and E, applied after application of scrub.
- If creams and ointments are too greasy and aggressive for this type of skin, then you can use a special massage for children, preserving skin moisture, oil or soft milk.
It is important to remember that all external means, except for scrub, should be applied until completely absorbed. If, for any reason, the use of the selected drugs aggravates the condition or gives other negative side effects, such as an allergy or severe itching, then their use should be stopped immediately and consult a dermatologist for advice.
Careful attitude to your health and timely application of skin regenerating products will help to preserve the beauty and health of the body for a long time.