Discharge from the urethra in men: causes and diagnosis
Discharge from the urethra in men is the secret of the prepuce glands that are located under the foreskin, on the head of the penis, as well as being separated from the urethra.Table of contents: Physiological excretions from the urethra Pathological discharge from the urethra
Physiological excretions from the urethra
The norm of the excretions corresponding to the work of the organs of the urogenital system:
- the fresh smear from the preputial glands looks like a white thick grease.Gradually can acquire a greenish or yellowish tinge;
- urine - clear, thatch or yellowish color.Practically odorless.Does not contain flakes and other inclusions;
- ejaculate - has a grayish-white color and mucous consistency;
- a secret of a prostate - viscous consistence, has a whitish shade.Has a specific smell of spermine.
These excretions indicate the health of a man and arise for the following reasons:
- Physiological or libidinal urethra. In this condition, there are clear discharge during sexual arousal in the morning.Their number directly depends on the severity of sexual arousal.Important! Isolations contain a small amount of spermatozoa, therefore, there is a risk of becoming pregnant if the secretions of the partner fall on the genitals.
- Smegma. If you follow the rules of personal hygiene, these discharges do not cause any inconvenience, as they are easily washed off with water.If we ignore these rules, then over time, the smegma accumulates under the folds of the foreskin.In this case, the protein part of the lubricant decomposes, and the fatty acid is oxidized.The masses acquire a greenish shade, and an unpleasant smell appears.
- Defecation prostatea. As the intra-abdominal pressure rises, clear, odorless discharge appears.In some cases, they have gray-white veins.Allocations have a viscous consistency.
- Pollution. Spontaneous emission of semen.Usually observed in the morning.Appear in adolescents and adult men - with irregular sexual life.
Pathological discharge from the urethra
Pathological differences from normal discharge according to the following criteria :
- volume: too scarce or abundant;
- transparency and color: cloudy, can be white, or have a yellowish green hue;
- impurities: lumps of mucus, blood and pus;
- consistency: sticky and strongly dense, or on the contrary, liquid;
- smell: fishy, putrid or sour;
- frequency of occurrence: episodic or permanent, depending on the time of day;
- in connection with sexual arousal, urination, drinking alcohol, spicy and spicy food.
The nature of the discharge depends on the causative agent of the disease, the state of the immune system, the attendant ailments, and the duration and severity of the inflammation.
All excretions, which are not physiological, are a symptom of urethritis or inflammation of other genital organs of .The causes of urethritis are divided into infectious and non-infectious.
Infectious in turn is divided into specific and non-specific :
- for specific reasons include STDs such as gonorrhea and trichomoniasis;
- opportunistic viruses, bacteria and fungi are the cause of nonspecific infectious urethritis: chlamydia, ureaplasma, mycoplasmal, herpetic, candida.
- trauma, narrowing of the urethra;
- is an allergy;
- irritation by chemicals in the urethra;
- damage to the urethral mucosa of a mechanical nature.
Important! Causes of discharge from the urethra can be tumors, STDs, trauma, nonspecific inflammation of the urogenital organs, surgery and medical manipulation.
If you change the density, amount, color of the discharge and the appearance of an unpleasant odor, it is recommended to undergo an examination.It is very difficult to correctly recognize a disease with only one symptom.
Discharge from the urethra associated with STDs
- Mucous. Tough, transparent, stand out in small amounts.Allocations appear in chronic chlamydia, as well as ureplasma or mycoplasma urethritis.A moderate amount of white blood cells is found in the study.
- Muco-purulent. Translucent white highlighting.Appear with exacerbation of chlamydia, ureaplasmosis and mycoplasmosis.With chlamydial infection, the secretions accumulate on the head of the penis in the form of sticking on the skin.
- Purulent. Isolations are thick, sticky, have an unpleasant putrefactive odor, yellow or greenish tinge.In the study, epithelial cells from the urethra and an increased level of leukocytes are detected.
White discharge from the urethra
Such discharge may occur for several reasons. First of all, it is necessary to exclude candidiasis, which is accompanied by the following symptoms:
- , an unpleasant smell of yeast or sour bread appears in the head of the genital organ;
- the head of the penis is covered with whitish bloom;
- in the perineum and penis there is pain, burning and itching;
- white highlighting appears with and without urination;
- , reddish spots appear on the inner surface of the foreskin and penis head;
- during coition, pain and discomfort occur in the head and foreskin area.
In addition to candidiasis, the cause of white discharge may be chlamydia, ureaplasmosis or mycoplasmosis, as well as inflammation of the prostate, which are accompanied by such symptoms:
- intermittent and difficult urination;
- decreased libido, erectile dysfunction, rapid ejaculation;
- burning in the urethra and perineum;
- frequent urge to urinate.
Important! Running prostatitis can cause infertility.
Transparent discharge from the urethra
Chronic chlamydial or ureaplasmic urethritis can cause a clear mucous discharge.When exacerbating the discharge, a greenish or yellowish hue is acquired.
Yellow discharge from the urethra
The cause of such secretions are venereal diseases:
- Trichomoniasis . In addition to the yellow discharge, the man experiences burning and pain with urination, discomfort in the perineum, a feeling of heaviness in the lower abdomen.
- Gonorrhea . Thick secretions are observed during the day, have an unpleasant putrefactive odor.It is accompanied by pain when urinating.
Discharge from the urethra with odor
- Non-hygiene. The cause of an unpleasant smell of the penis and the perineal zone can be non-observance of personal hygiene.
- Infections. Most often, discharge with odor is observed when the urethra is affected by infection.Dense secretions are observed throughout the day, have a yellow or greenish color.Are a symptom of gonorrheic urethritis.An acidic odor is present in urogenital candidiasis.The smell of fish is inherent in gardnerellez.Also, discharge with an unpleasant odor occurs with balanitis or balanoposthitis.
Discharge from the urethra with blood
- Infections. The cause of discharge with an admixture of blood can become infection of the urethra.Characteristic of candida, trichomoniasis or gonorrhea urethritis.The amount of blood depends on the intensity of the inflammation.
- Medical manipulation. The cause of such secretions is urethra trauma during medical procedures.
- Passage of sand, concrements. When passing through the urethra of sand or concrements, there may be discharge with blood.A solid surface of microliths can damage the walls and mucosa of the vessels, causing bleeding.
- Malignant tumors. The appearance of bloody discharge is one of the symptoms of malignant tumors of the urogenital system.At the same time, the blood will be dark or brown, and clots may form.
Methods of examination for pathological discharge from the urethra
- Inspection of the penis and perineum. The purpose of the examination is to identify deformities or injuries of the penis, as well as signs of rash, discharge and inflammation.
- Palpation and assessment of inguinal lymph nodes. Hot or cold surrounding tissues, size, soft or dense, size, whether over them appearances are mobile or soldered to the skin.
- Finger examination of the prostate. Allows you to obtain excretions for microscopic examination.
- Smears for sowing and microscopy, PCR.
- US of kidneys, bladder and prostate.
- General blood test.Blood for sugar.The expanded analysis of urine .
- Urology and CT .
For strong secretions, a broad-spectrum antibiotic is prescribed for a man before the results are obtained.With abundant bloody discharge, hospitalization is recommended and urgent measures are taken to stop the blood.
Discharge from the urethra is only one symptom of the presence of the disease.Self-administration of drugs for treatment is unacceptable .
Radevich Igor Tadeushevich, a sexually pathological andrologist of the 1st category