Thrush in men: symptoms, diagnosis, treatment
The thrush( candidiasis) provokes yeast fungi of candida, which infect the mucous membranes of the head of the penis or oral cavity.Candida fungi are present in the body of every person, but their activity is controlled by the immune system.As soon as immunity weakens, candidiasis occurs.
The thrush is transmitted sexually, or through saliva, but the main cause of the disease is the weakening of immunity.Table of contents: Causes of thrush in men Symptoms of thrush in men Diagnosis of thrush in men Methods for treating thrush in men
Reasons for thrush in men
In general, thrush is one of the consequences of immunodeficiency.
Factors influencing the immunity and development of candidiasis:
- stressful situations;
- diabetes mellitus and endocrine system diseases;
- blood diseases;
- congenital or acquired immunodeficiency;
- hypothermia of the body;
- vitamin deficiency and lack of trace elements;
- does not comply with the rules of hygiene of the genitals, mouth and other organs;
- long-term use of antibiotics and steroid hormones;
- abuse of the solarium and sunburn;
- infectious diseases;
- genital tract injury.
These factors activate the fungal infection, and candidiasis begins to develop.
Fungus is transmitted to a man from a woman if she is sick with thrush.In this case, treatment is assigned to both partners.
In some cases, a man can be an infection carrier if he has a latent form of the disease.
Important! Infection can also affect the mucous membrane of the gastrointestinal tract, mouth and skin.
Symptoms of thrush in men
Thrush in men is manifested by the following symptoms:
- itching and swelling of the head and prepuce of the penis;
- pain during sexual intercourse and after it, as well as with erection;
- painful urination;
- redness of the penis head;
- a gray-white dense plaque with an acidic smell appears on the head and in the region of the coronal sulcus.
Symptoms of thrush in men in the oral cavity:
- inflamed and bleeding gums;
- sourish taste in the mouth;
- pain when eating.
Symptoms of skin yeast infection in men:
- appear red spots that are constantly itchy;
- increased sweating;
- expands the pores.
If there is at least one symptom, it is necessary to perform a diagnosis, after which the doctor will be able to prescribe the correct treatment.
Attention! If you do not go to the doctor on time, thrush can lead to serious illnesses like pyelocystitis, balanoposthitis and urethritis.
Diagnosis of thrush in men
When the first symptoms appear, you need to undergo a test to confirm the diagnosis.
- Questioning the patient and examining the site of disease activation.
- Analyzes of scraping from the genital or mucous membrane of the patient's mouth to detect infection with the fungus.
- Culture examination( culture on medium) with quantitative consideration of fungal colonies and determination of antifungal activity.This will help to choose medicines taking into account the sensitivity of fungi to them.
- Microscopic examination.
- Complete examination of the body.
After establishing the type of fungus, appropriate treatment is prescribed not only for the patient, but also for his partner.
Methods for treatment of thrush in men
Treatment of thrush is prescribed only on the basis of laboratory-confirmed diagnosis.
Important! Do not self-medicate only on the basis of symptoms.Often, candidiasis can activate latent sexual infections.
If only candidiasis is diagnosed, it is treated with antifungal ointments or creams, or tablets are used, depending on the duration of the inflammation and symptoms.
Treatment with creams and ointments
This method of treatment is used only at the initial stages of the disease .The course of treatment is at least a week, or until the symptoms disappear completely.Creams and ointments are applied to the affected areas after hygiene procedures.The medicine is applied twice a day.
The most effective ointments and creams:
- Nystatin - ointment acts as an antibiotic, killing bacteria not only from the outside, but also inside.The course of therapy is up to ten days, depending on the severity of the disease.
- Pimafucin - the cream quickly removes the symptoms of the disease.Use morning and evening until full recovery.
- Clotrimazole, miconazole, ketoconazole are effective antifungal agents for external use.
The most effective in the fight against thrush is drug treatment, in which tablets and injections are prescribed.
Effective tablets for thrush in men :
For a more active effect, intramuscular injection is used :
Injections are performed only by medical personnel, both in the hospital and at home.
Please note! It is absolutely forbidden to take tablets without preliminary examination.This can aggravate the situation.Treatment should be strictly monitored by the attending physician.
Treatment of thrush in men by folk remedies
There are several folk remedies for treating yeast infections:
- a tablespoon of marigold tincture is diluted with a glass of boiled water and applied to the oral cavity.Rinsing is carried out four times a day;
- take 50 ml of onion juice and add to it five st.Spoons of honey and 100 ml of lemon juice.Stir and take three times a day on a teaspoon.The mixture helps to raise immunity;
- when skin and genital organs are affected, they are moistened with onion, garlic and celandine juice;
- the same number of birch buds, juniper, chamomile and celandine are ground.The medicinal mixture is poured into half a liter of boiling water and insisted for six hours.Infusions rinse the mouth;
- carrot juice is consumed internally in case of intestinal fungal infection.
General recommendations of specialists for the treatment and prevention of thrush in men
- Adhere to the principles of healthy eating.Eat yoghurt saturated with live bacteria.Eat more garlic, red pepper and cranberries.Exclude from the diet baking on yeast, sweets and beer.Drink fruit from the dogrose and a decoction of chamomile.
- Avoid casual sex.
- Observe the rules of personal hygiene.Refuse hot baths.Do not use shower gels and scented soap for the duration of treatment.Do not wear synthetic underwear.
- Keep track of your weight.
- During the period of therapy, give up intimacy.Treat with your partner.
- Follow all doctor's recommendations.
Without treatment, an infection can affect the urinary system.Once in the blood, the fungus can affect any organ.Guarantees for a successful cure increase dramatically with timely treatment.
Radevich Igor Tadeushevich, sexually pathological andrologist at the Family Planning Center