Peyronie's disease - symptoms and treatment
Peyronie's disease is a rare pathology of the male sexual organ.It manifests itself in the form of proliferation of fibrous tissue due to the appearance of seals( plaques) in the cavernous bodies of the male sexual organ.When the disease is observed, the curvature of the penis.
Plaques themselves do not cause discomfort and do not ache, but eventually they are replaced by connective tissue, which leads to a decrease in erectile function and affects the ability to fertilize.
In general, the pathology develops in men who have an active sex life.
Peyronie's disease is a violation of the structure of connective tissue, a kind of collagenosis.Elastic soft fibers are gradually replaced by fibrous coarse tissue.At this disease in the patient's body, collagen is produced incorrectly.Table of Contents: Causes of Peyronie's Disease Classification of the disease Symptoms of Peyrony's disease Diagnosis of Peyrony's disease Methods for treating Peyronie's disease Prevention
Causes of Peyronie's disease
To date, the causes that lead to the disease have not been fully identified, but there are etiological factors contributing to the diseasePathology:
- trauma to the genital organ;
- disorders in the endocrine system;
- closed penile fracture;
- decrease in the elasticity of the tissues of the genital organ;
- inflammation of connective tissue - collagenoses;
- some abnormalities on the part of the immune system;
- inflammation in the urethra;
- taking certain medications;
- metabolic disorders;
- narrowing of the lumen of the vessels, characteristic of atherosclerosis;
- elevated serotonin levels in the body;
- connective tissue disease;
- lack of calcium and vitamin E;
- arterial hypertension;
- bad habits;
- ischemic heart disease.
In very rare cases, the disease can be congenital.For example, with pathology of the structure of the gallbladder, or with abnormally short urethra.The difference between congenital and acquired - in the first case there are no plaques.Deformation develops against the background of cords in cavernous bodies.
Important! Minor deformities are not a serious disease and do not require surgical intervention.
Classification of the disease
Peyronie's disease is classified according to the stage, cause and extent of deformation.
In view of the cause,
- is obtained as an acquired form - developed as a result of hormonal imbalance or trauma;
- congenital - is formed as a result of intrauterine disorders.
The degree of deformation of the disease is divided into several types:
- dorsal - the penis is pointed upwards;
- ventral - the genital is tilted down;
- lateral - penis pointed sideways.
The degree of leakage of Peyronie's disease is divided into:
- painful - there is severe pain in the state of rest and during erection;
- functional - except for pain, in the case of a disease it is impossible to lead a normal sex life.
Symptoms of Peyronie's disease
The main symptoms of the pathology are:
- pain sensations of varying intensity at rest and during intercourse;
- significant curvature in one direction or another;
- change in penis size due to curvature;
- decreased erection;
- formation of a seal under the skin of the genital organ.
As a rule, at the initial stage the man does not feel any symptoms.This period can last up to a year and a half.
Attention! Conservative therapy will be more effective if the disorder is detected in the early stages.
Diagnosis of Peyronie's disease
The first step is to collect anamnesis.The doctor interrogates the patient to identify the complaints and the duration of their manifestation, as well as the presence in the past of inflammatory processes in the pelvis and penile injuries.The patient is offered to fill out a special questionnaire, which will allow to evaluate the quality of sexual life.
Next, an objective examination of the penis is carried out.For this, an erection is artificially induced with the help of a vacuum erector.In this condition, the doctor assesses the degree of curvature, the shape of the genital organ, the location of the plaque and its size.
Instrumental diagnostic methods are also used:
- Cavernosography. During an X-ray, a contrast is introduced to the patient to determine the location and size of the plaque.The method allows to assess the state of the internal structures of the penis.Confirm the presence or absence of pathology in spongy cavernous bodies.
- Ultrasound of the vessels of the penis. The task of the method is to determine the presence of pathological blood circulation and the place of compaction.This study is most effective in the acute stage of pathology.
- MRI of the reproductive organ. During the study, the doctor receives layered images of the transverse section of the organ.The method allows you to accurately determine the location of the plaque and its size, as well as the presence of problems with the blood flow in this place.
Methods for treating Peyronie's disease
Treatment of pathology is assigned individually to each patient, after analyzing all the results of the study.
There are several therapies:
- Surgical treatment;
- topical treatment;
- is a medicament;
- shock wave therapy;
- folk remedies.
First of all, they resort to medical treatment.It consists in taking the anti-inflammatory drugs orally, or introducing them into the penis.In addition, physiotherapy is used.
Drug therapy includes the following medications:
- in the penis tissue inject interferon, hydrocortisone, lidazu;
- aminobenzoate potassium - 12 g / day.The drug has antifireplastic action;
- corticosteroids, ronidase, phonophoresis with lidase;
- pain reduces tamoxifen - 40 mg / day;
- for 2-3 months, administered orally 4 times a day, vitamin E at 50-150 mg;
- colchicine - starting at 1 mg per day.The dosage is adjusted by the doctor.
Important! Most of these drugs can be purchased at the pharmacy, but remember that self-medication can lead to serious consequences!
If drug therapy does not work, then a surgical method of treatment is used.It is much more effective, since the operation makes it possible not only to remove plaques, but also to correct the curvature of the penis.
The method of surgical intervention is selected individually.If the curvature is less than 45 degrees and the length of the penis is more than average, correction is performed by applying folds on the opposite side of the organ.The fabrics are sewn.The penis loses a little in length, but the risk of complications is significantly reduced.
With a curvature of more than 45 degrees, if the length of the genitals allows, the protein shell is excised, and on the opposite side of the organ the tissues are sutured.
As an adjunct to the main treatment, the attending physician may prescribe the use of folk remedies.
Recipes of traditional medicine for Peyronie's disease:
- chestnut decoction.Grind 20 g of chestnuts and pour them a glass of water.Boil for a quarter of an hour and strain.Take 1/3 cup before meals for 3 months;
- bath with sage.A pound of dried sage is poured with ten liters of boiling water and left for half an hour.Filter and take a bath for 20 minutes, after which they immediately go to a warm bed;
- herbal infusion.Take in equal parts sage leaves, burdock roots, primrose, oregano and linseed.Mix it.Collect the spoon with two cups of boiling water and leave overnight.Strain.Infuse three meals before meals.The course of treatment is three months.
Preventive measures for Peyronie's disease:
- do not have sex in the state of drug or alcohol intoxication to exclude injuries to the penis;
- at the age of 30 to 60 annually undergo preventive examinations;
- lead a healthy lifestyle;
- monitor body weight;
- monitor the level of pressure;
- wear comfortable underwear;
- regularly engage in sports.
In case of any violations of the reproductive system, you should immediately contact a urologist to conduct a diagnosis and begin treatment.
Radevich Igor Tadeushevich, a sexually pathological andrologist of the 1st category