Priapism - a variety of disorders, symptoms, treatment and prevention measures
A prolonged and painful erection that is not associated with sexual arousal and which does not end after ejaculation is called priapism.This is a serious pathology, which is a sign of many diseases.She can grow up at any age.The most commonly diagnosed disorder in boys who have not reached puberty, as well as in men aged 20 to 50 years.
Important! Priapism makes it impossible to have sex with the opposite sex.
This pathology is extremely rare, but can lead to serious consequences.Diagnosis can identify the causes of development and determine the form of the disease.Table of contents: Causes of priapism Variety of the disease Clinical picture Diagnosis of priapism Treatment methods Possible complications Prevention measures
Causes of priapism
Circulatory disturbance in cavernous bodies is the main factor of involuntary erection.Significant blood flow leads to non-ischemic priapism.The ischemic type of pathology is diagnosed with impairment of outflow from the penis.
Reasons that lead to the development of priapism:
- autoimmune disorders;
- abuse of alcohol and drugs;
- disorders of the nervous system;
- blood oncology;
- bites of poisonous insects;
- renal failure;
- oncology of the urogenital system;
- infringement of a penis in a vagina or interruption of the sexual certificate or act;
- complications after surgery;
- injury of the penis;
- inflammation in the prostate or urethra;
- an introduction to penis medication from impotence;
- infectious diseases.
Important! In some cases, the cause of the development of priapism can not be established.
There have been recorded cases when pathology was diagnosed in patients suffering from amyloidosis, diabetes, malaria and gout.
Species of the disease
Pathology by the nature of the leak is divided into two forms:
- acute - differs markedly symptomatic and rapid development;
- chronic - periodically there is a painful erection, which after a certain time passes.
Types of the disease, depending on the cause of development:
- nighttime priapism is a painful erection during sleep that quickly passes.In medicine, it is called pseudopriapism or intermittent priapism;
- venous - develops due to a violation of outflow of blood from the penis;
- arterial - is caused by increased blood flow;
- idiopathic - it is diagnosed often enough, however it is impossible to reveal the reasons of development;
- intoxication - develops against the background of drug and alcohol abuse, as well as bites of poisonous insects;
- pharmacological - constant reception of medicines and treatment of impotence by injection into the penis;
- traumatic - occurs as a result of injuries to the genitals and perineum;
- psychogenic - observed in men with schizophrenia and neuroses;
- is neurogenic - the cause is diseases of the nervous system, trauma to the skull and oncology of the brain and spinal cord.
A painful erection that occurs without sexual stimulation, and which lasts for several hours is the main symptom of priapism.
In addition, the following symptoms are observed:
- decreased sexual desire to the opposite sex;
- obstructed urinary incontinence during erection;
- reduction of the penis after coition and lack of orgasm;
- the affected organ assumes a bluish tinge;
- swelling of the foreskin;
- short-term painful erections during sleep;
- the genital organ acquires an arcuate shape, with the head directed towards the abdomen.
The presence of pain makes it possible to distinguish non-ischemic priapism from ischemic.In the latter case, the patient experiences severe pain.
Diagnosis of priapism
Painful erection, which lasts more than three hours - an occasion to contact a urologist, a surgeon or andrologist .The doctor conducts a questioning of the patient, during which he clarifies the symptoms, as well as possible causes of the pathology.Then, the penis is inspected for swelling, curvature and uniform hardening.If there is a suspected inflammation of the prostate, it is examined.
A general and biochemical blood test can detect kidney failure or blood cancer.
A man goes through a coagulogram to reveal the ability of blood to clot.
To determine the gas composition of the blood, the penis is punctured with a needle and blood is drawn.
The venous blood is analyzed.This will reveal the presence of drugs in it.
The hardware examination includes:
- US of the penis;
- angiography.The contrast agent is injected into the penis and X-ray is performed.This study allows you to determine the degree of disturbance of blood flow and determine the form of pathology.
- biopsy of the penis is used to establish the vital activity of cavernous tissue.
Methods of therapy
For the first symptoms of priapism, you must always contact the medical institution for examination and qualified care.
Important! Basically, for the treatment of priapism, pharmacotherapy and surgery are used.
If a man consults a doctor in the first hours after an attack, cold lotions and injections of medications are applied to the sexual organ, which improve blood properties.
Often appoint hirudotherapy, which is applied to the root of the penis.If this therapy is not effective, puncture is performed and various medications are administered to the body.
If the patient has consulted a doctor a day after the onset of the attack or with ischemic priapism, the treatment is prescribed surgically by .Perform shunting, which creates a bypass path for the outflow of blood from the cavernous bodies.
In the event that the attack leads to irreversible changes, a falloprosthesis is performed.This is the only way to save a man's sexual function.
Priapism is a pathology that requires immediate medical attention. If the treatment is not started on time, the following serious complications can develop:
- impossibility to have sexual intercourse;
- purulent cavernitis.In this case, an abscess is formed, which subsequently breaks into the urethra;
- thrombosis;Death of the penis.
The development of priapism can be prevented by adhering to a few simple rules:
- avoid injuries to the perineum and genitals;
- do not engage in self-treatment of erectile dysfunction;
- use alcoholic beverages in moderation;
- completely eliminate the use of drugs;
- regularly undergo preventive examinations with specialists to prevent diseases of the genital system.
A favorable prognosis can be guaranteed only in case of timely contact with a doctor.Late diagnosis or self-medication can lead to serious complications.
Radevich Igor Tadeushevich, a sexually-pathological andrologist of the 1st category