Pain in the groin in men: possible causes
Various pathologies and abnormalities in the functioning of the body systems lead to pain in the groin area.This symptom is a strong argument for a doctor. To begin with it is necessary to address to the therapist, and he already will give a direction or to the urologist, or to the gastroenterologist, or to the surgeon.
During the examination and questioning of the patient, the specialist determines the exact place of pain localization and its nature.Pain can cover the entire groin area, or localize on the left or right side.Table of contents: Digestive system Nervous and musculoskeletal system Sexual system Urinary system Pain in the groin area on the right Pain in the groin area of the male on the left
Important! Only a doctor can conduct a complete diagnosis, establish the correct diagnosis and start therapy.
Pain in the inguinal area of men may be a symptom of the defeat of such systems:
- of the nervous and musculoskeletal;
Pathologies of the digestive system that can cause pain:
- Inguinal hernia. Appears as a painless protrusion, which is accompanied by a sense of discomfort.Sudden severe pain in the inguinal area occurs when the hernia is infringed.When palpation protrusion is felt, its compaction and pain.Also, the condition is accompanied by a delay in the stool, nausea and vomiting.
- Appendicitis. Pain initially arises in the center of the abdomen, after which it moves to the right side.With inflammation of appendicitis, the patient has a sharp pain on the right side of the inguinal region, which can irradiate in the lower back and leg.The temperature rises.There may be constipation, diarrhea, nausea and vomiting.The abdominal muscles are tense.
- Irritable bowel syndrome. Abdominal chronic pain that occurs in the area of irritation of the intestine.When the sigmoid and rectum are affected, the pain concentrates in the lower abdomen.In addition, the patient is observed bloating, a feeling of discomfort, a change in the frequency and consistency of the stool.
- Intestinal obstruction. The appearance of severe pain is the main symptom.It is localized in the area of the intestine where obstruction has developed.There are painful sensations in the ileum on the left side, radiating into the groin.
- Chronic constipation. Pain in the ileum of the abdomen and gives to the groin.It is accompanied by bloating, pallor of the skin, belching, loss of appetite.There is no feeling of complete emptying of the intestine.
- Colon cancer. The disease is asymptomatic.Pain syndrome occurs only after the tumor begins to spread to neighboring organs.The aching pain of the iliac and inguinal area on the left side is observed when the sigmoid colon is affected.
Nervous and musculoskeletal system
Pain in the groin is most often provoked:
- Injury to the groin. Accompanied by pain, which, when you try to take your foot to the side, intensifies.
- Lesions of the lumbar plexus nerves. The disease is accompanied by pain and loss of sensitivity in the groin area.As a rule, the pain radiates to the inner surface of the thigh and down the abdomen.
Pathologies of the reproductive system accompanied by pain:
- Acute prostatitis. Characterized by sharp pain in the groin, perineum and rectum, which is strengthened by the act of defecation.Urination is painful, rapid or difficult, up to an acute delay.There can be a headache and weakness, the body temperature will rise.
- Prostate adenoma. Increasing, the adenoma compresses the urethra.The patient complains of frequent urination, or on the contrary, his delay, there is no feeling of complete emptying of the bladder.Pain in the groin becomes more intense when urinating, as well as irradiating the lower back and the suprapubic part.
- Prostate cancer. The first symptoms of the disease appear when the tumor from the primary focus is spread to other tissues.In the groin and perineum there are spasmodic pains.Urination is difficult.There are frequent urge and urge.
- Vesiculitis. Pain syndrome above the pubis and in the perineum, giving off in the groin.With an act of defecation full of the bladder and during the ejaculation, the pain intensifies.With urine or sperm, blood or pus can be secreted.The patient experiences general malaise.
- Epididymoorkhit. The disease begins sharply.The body temperature rises.There are sharp intense pains in the scrotum, radiating to the groin and the sacrum.There is a tightness, tension and soreness in the testicle and its appendage.The skin of the scrotum turns red, it becomes hot to the touch and swells.Torsion of the testis.
- . There is a sharp pain in the scrotum and groin area.The pain is accompanied by a delay in urination, nausea, vomiting and dizziness.When palpation of the affected testicle, there is an increase in the scrotum, tightness and soreness.
- Venereal diseases. Pain in the groin.Urination rapid and painful.Lymph nodes in the groin area increase, and with palpation a painful sensation arises.The body temperature rises, on the external genitalia ulcers are formed.Appear foamy, mucous or white discharge from the penis.
Urinary system diseases that can cause pain:
- Urolithiasis. The disease is asymptomatic.Movement of the stone along the ureter can lead to blockage, which can cause a patient to have an attack of renal colic.In the place of the location of the calculus, there arises a sudden, intolerable sharp pain, which, as the stone moves downwards, falls down on the abdomen, gives into the groin and leg.
- Cystitis. Piercing pain in the groin and lower abdomen, intensifying with urination.The patient does not feel full emptying of the bladder, urination becomes more frequent.Urine turbid with a trace of blood.
- Bladder cancer. As the malignant cells spread to neighboring organs, painful sensations appear in the lower abdomen and groin area.This urination is frequent and painful.In the urine there are veins of blood.
- Urethritis. In the groin area there is a feeling of heaviness and pain.When urinating, there is a burning and burning.In urine there is an admixture of pus.
Pain in the groin area on the right
Pain on the right side of the groin occurs due to:
- mechanical injuries;
- inguinal hernia.
Important! In addition to the pain syndrome, the physician should pay attention to the accompanying symptoms in order to make the correct diagnosis.
With a hernia through the abdominal wall, a hernial protrusion is felt.
In appendicitis, the specialist observes the symptoms characteristic of irritation of the peritoneum.
Rarely, the cause of pain on the right can become renal colic, when the stones injure the right ureter.In this case, the pain is felt not only in the groin, but has a shingling character and concentrates in the lower back.
Pain in the groin in the male on the left
Pain occurs on the left side of the inguinal area when:
- left-sided or oblique hernia;
In some cases, the cause of pain can become a disease of the large intestine.Pain that gives to the left inguinal part can be caused by proctitis and sigmoiditis.
If there is aching, pulling or sharp pain in the groin area, you should immediately go through a full examination in a medical institution and establish the cause of the pain.
Radevich Igor Tadeushevich, doctor of sexopathologist-andrologist of the 1st category